Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
If this second one fails I will move on and buy a CSF radiator. The Mishimoto core was just 10mm thicker so I went that way. I will say they were awesome about honoring the warranty and did not fight with me on it at all.

I have not heard of anyone else with Mishimoto failures on the F150's though.
On the 370Z forum. It's so bad, that if mention Mishashitymoto. Be prepared to get hammered. They have such a bad rep for their parts. And there is proof to back it up.
Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
I'm surprised that you got 18 months out of the Mishashitymoto radiator. On other forums. People hate those with a passion because of the leaks after a few months.
the real question is...what are you thinking snooping on other forums and a bonus question...what the heck is a Mia;ls;dhf;aiodufo radiator?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
the real question is...what are you thinking snooping on other forums and a bonus question...what the heck is a Mia;ls;dhf;aiodufo radiator?
Mishashitymoto is another name for Mishimoto.

This is why I'm on other other forums.

Nismo 2.jpg

VFR.jpg

Mac 10.jpg

Hell's Gate.jpg

Alc

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
@Primer Gray When you compared the ‘24 grille to your old grille was there much of a difference visually to the amount of air it could let through? Any fitment challenges? Lastly, where did you source it given none of the MOPAR sites seem to have ‘24 parts? Very impressed with your commitment to cooling, your jeep is impressive, well done!

Primer Gray

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Industrial Designer
The new grill is substantially more open than the original — probably 25% more unrestricted airflow.

I purchased through Distinction Applied, they offer the new grill painted and ready to install. Their website interface is super simple and allows you to select whatever trim colors/finishes you desire. When I received the new grill, I noticed a small paint blemish and the guys over at distinction had a replacement trim piece shipped out to me within a week. Super satisfied with them.

There were absolutely no fitment issues whatsoever, and the new grill actually has more clearance at the bottom area which simplifies wiring/installing a winch. The entire swap takes about 20 minutes as the assembly is attached with clips and plastic body fasteners — I did end up adding a few pop rivets in some areas to firm it up, but that was not necessary.

IMG_8856.png

Sponsored

Sank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJR, 22 JTRD
Oh, thanks for the picture! I didn't realize the air also passes between the grill slots on the new one. That's helpful.

maSS-hole

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Ecoboost, Lexus GX460, Chevy Bolt
So did the grill help or what? It does look substantially more open but I really question whether the flow through the grill was ever the issue? The frontal area on the radiator is just so small that I dont think they can ram enough air through the core to effectively cool it. My 2014 F150 has a relatively small radiator compared to a lot of trucks(even the Ranger, Tacoma, 4Runner and GX460 are bigger) and the JT is even smaller than my F150. Mishmoto lists the core as 19.5"x22.9" which is just tiny. My GX460 stock core is 25.5"x24.9", or 42% more frontal area than the Gladiator, and uses a big mechanical cooling fan.

I have been searching around the forums before making the final decision to buy one of these. It seems even the guys with the 2.0L Hurricane JL's have issues with them running hot. I'm pretty worried about being able to tow with this in Utah with any kind of warm temperatures.

I really think the only solution here is something like the Bulletproof cooler since its adding another 59 sq-in of frontal area. That brings the total up to just under what my 2014 F150 has, which also struggled with overheating in a much bigger engine bay with a much better front end shape for cooling. I also wonder if there is a way to get the cooler inline with the coolant coming out of the engine where its the hottest and would be able to offload more heat.

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
Now that summer is here, it is clear that the Diesel Gladiators will get hot if you push them ( towing ), and a LOT of us are pissed about it. Before I sell mine I want to do everything I can to see if I can make something work.

We have all heard FCA mention that the 3.0L was limited by its cooling and that is likely because they were not going to redesign the front end. Once I started dissecting mine it was clear there are plenty of issues with this current setup.
First off all the bottom 6" of the radiator is blocked by the plastic bumper.
Second, the horns should go somewhere else. Why block perfectly good airflow
Third, there are multiple types of grills that may help air flow. The Overland and Rubicon grills have decorative bezels that narrow the slots. The Sports and black grill option have narrow slots which adds 15% area.

The next hot day I get I am going to do a 30 mile out and back trip and document my Engine Coolant, Oil Temp, Trans Temp, and add another thermocouple under the hood somewhere. I will be towing my 5600 lb camper and try to hold 70mph.

Test 1 - Remove the grill completely and compare.
Test 2 - If changes were not significant I will add to it by cracking the hood open with spacers and straps to hold it in place. Hopefully it will allow more air movement around the engine.

From here I think the results will determine if grill modifications or hood vends will do anything and what the best case scenario would be. If either work I will consider removing the front bumper.

To get an idea of "best case" I would say start looking at the RAM eco diesel forums. They have much bigger radiators and the engine is basically the same. If they are doing well and not having towing issues than maybe we can hope for that. If they are also struggling with overheating while towing than it will be a sign to sell and move on 😢.

I would like to keep this thread solution based if possible so if you have any ideas, lets get testing.

Jeep Gladiator Diesel cooling options and ideas IMG_8856

i wonder if you can fit a ram 1500 eco diesel radiator in there. if not, maybe a thicker mishimoto aluminum one?

maSS-hole

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i wonder if you can fit a ram 1500 eco diesel radiator in there. if not, maybe a thicker mishimoto aluminum one?
The Ram 1500 radiator is ~2.25" taller and ~4.5" wider from what I can tell, so it would depend if that can fit between the frame/radiator mounts.

Just based on the OP's pictures, it looks like the radiator is already squished in pretty tight between the frame rails.

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

maSS-hole

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.mishimoto.com/performance-aluminum-radiator-jeep-gladiator-2020.html

i wonder if this would work. it doesn't specify gasser or deisel tho
People have installed those. Im sure it helps but the problem is it still has an incredibly small frontal area like the stock radiator. If the air passing through the cooling stack is already hot by the time it reaches the back of the thicker mishimoto core, its not pulling any additional heat from the coolant. Throwing more core thickness at the problem is a diminishing return.

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
People have installed those. Im sure it helps but the problem is it still has an incredibly small frontal area like the stock radiator. If the air passing through the cooling stack is already hot by the time it reaches the back of the thicker mishimoto core, its not pulling any additional heat from the coolant. Throwing more core thickness at the problem is a diminishing return.
Ahh I see

maSS-hole

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)