First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
I still haven’t got the supplemental oil cooler in. Due to the dimensions and my bumper, I will have to cut the frame horns, make brackets and a skid plate.

I have started to pay very close attention to my throttle position % on my banks and I’ve found that over 40% raises temps into the low 230. 45% brings it right around 240 and 50%+ it quickly climbs into 250s if sustained. This is very useful for me because I can easily back off 5% on a grade and hold the same speed or feather the throttle in and out of the desired zone. I’ve only found on steep sustained grades at hwy speeds, it is better to downshift into 6th gear and keep the throttle position at a lower %.
What is this achieving for you? My 3.6 hardly ever breaks 210* and only if towing up hill or into the wind. Sounds like you chose the wrong powertrain for your use case and are throwing money away tying to out engineer Chrylser.
Sponsored

maSS-hole

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Ecoboost, Lexus GX460, Chevy Bolt

maSS-hole

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Ecoboost, Lexus GX460, Chevy Bolt
What is this achieving for you? My 3.6 hardly ever breaks 210* and only if towing up hill or into the wind. Sounds like you chose the wrong powertrain for your use case and are throwing money away tying to out engineer Chrylser.
You're looking at this wrong. Your 3.6L would be making 228hp where Chief Jeep(and also I) live in Park City UT. You would be foot on the floor to hold 45 mph, an Ecodiesel would be able to pull at 65mph, but would be cooling limited.

The end result is the same. You're going 45mph.

I would way rather be able to chug along on the flats at 1800 rpm doing 70mph and have to slow down on climbs to keep the engine cool than to listen to the 3.6L spin at 4000 rpm for 6 hours straight.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Had you seen the extruded core one? They have two.
I had not seen that they have another version.

Single 41mm vs two .750" cores? The single 41mm should see increased airflow through the unit vs the dual .750's with more turbulence?

Crazy thing is that they lack any posted test data! If they could convince us that they will do the job and not leak........I'd buy one!

Chief_jeep

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
it’s not achieving anything since I returned it. The 3.0 is known for running hot in the jeeps. Mine has never overheated or given me any problems but if I could fix the problem with a reasonable amount of money then I would. Overall I’m very happy with the diesel platform. The 3.6 is a gutless, boring motor especially if you’re on 40s.

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I understand what you are saying… but I don’t think I’ve ever seen an oil burner in the 3.6 forum asking the guys why they are messing with dropped valves when they can just have a 3.0 that has never dropped a valve.

Primer Gray

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Industrial Designer
So did the grill help or what? It does look substantially more open but I really question whether the flow through the grill was ever the issue? The frontal area on the radiator is just so small that I dont think they can ram enough air through the core to effectively cool it. My 2014 F150 has a relatively small radiator compared to a lot of trucks(even the Ranger, Tacoma, 4Runner and GX460 are bigger) and the JT is even smaller than my F150. Mishmoto lists the core as 19.5"x22.9" which is just tiny. My GX460 stock core is 25.5"x24.9", or 42% more frontal area than the Gladiator, and uses a big mechanical cooling fan.

I have been searching around the forums before making the final decision to buy one of these. It seems even the guys with the 2.0L Hurricane JL's have issues with them running hot. I'm pretty worried about being able to tow with this in Utah with any kind of warm temperatures.

I really think the only solution here is something like the Bulletproof cooler since its adding another 59 sq-in of frontal area. That brings the total up to just under what my 2014 F150 has, which also struggled with overheating in a much bigger engine bay with a much better front end shape for cooling. I also wonder if there is a way to get the cooler inline with the coolant coming out of the engine where its the hottest and would be able to offload more heat.
I can’t unequivocally say that the grill alone will dramatically improve the situation as I installed the new grill, BPD supplementary cooler, and Mish. radiator at the same time.

The combination of those three things has pretty much addressed my problems — I tow/haul at max capacity regularly up steep grades and the derate issues had me contemplating the idea of getting another vehicle.

In person, the additional open space on the 24 grill does appear substantial.

Last edited:

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Seventy-three straight pages, my eyes are burning. Learned a lot though.

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJR, '21 JTDR, '00 VFR800, RSV4, '11 MTS 1200
We really need a TL;DR for this one. 😄

A diesel engine runs significantly hotter and with more compression than a gas engine; comparing the two is less than irrelevant. Our diesels are also turbocharged, so the hot exhaust gasses are not immediately exiting to the tailpipe, they get routed through the turbo and EGR system, holding a massive amount of thermal energy in the engine bay.

So why get the diesel? 442 ft lb. That's why.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
We really need a TL;DR for this one. 😄

A diesel engine runs significantly hotter and with more compression than a gas engine; comparing the two is less than irrelevant. Our diesels are also turbocharged, so the hot exhaust gasses are not immediately exiting to the tailpipe, they get routed through the turbo and EGR system, holding a massive amount of thermal energy in the engine bay.

So why get the diesel? 442 ft lb. That's why.
And this is why, although I've had diesel equipment in the past, I mostly observe and ask questions - such as - how much does the turbo increase the intake air temperature on these, just in general?

I know it's not a direct comparison by any stretch, but the turbo on our little 2.0 is surrounded by a massive amount of heat shielding............. wow.

Sponsored

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A little inline-4 2.0L gas engine takes up way less space than a 3.0 V6 and makes significantly less heat. So we have more heat being pumped out with less space for it to radiate out.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
A little inline-4 2.0L gas engine takes up way less space than a 3.0 V6 and makes significantly less heat. So we have more heat being pumped out with less space for it to radiate out.
Yeah, totally get that and you really supported my point that the little I4 2.0 is packed in there with enough insulation to do my garage walls, and then you have the larger, heavier, more massive 3.0 diesel packed in like sardines in a can and no air flow around the engine.........

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fortunately it's not an air cooled engine, removing the insulation, opening the hood vents, even swapping thermostats for a lower temp opening are all ways to manage heat.

Modern engines have righter engine bays, it's just the way it is now. Managing heat is not unioto the diesel or gladiator platform.
Sponsored