Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What irks me is the vent ducts are already there. if you look there are ducts at least in the higher end trims that run under the seat for air at the foot level and then there are also ducts in the center console for vents in the backseat. It couldn't be that difficult to install a small duct on each seat with an electric fan to push air through. The hard part is already done.
Do you think those ducts exist on an Overland? I'll have to go look. Small fans are cheap, and low power consumption - but, devil's advocate here for a bit - one reason there are no power seats if the motors and cables - WATER. These can ford water up to what, 33 or is it 36" - you can't have electric motors down there.
Well, what about brushless electric, sort of like the cooling fans in computers.......
Is there a practical reason like water depth, or was it "no time this first year, need to get it out fast, may look at it later" reasoning?
Just tossing stuff out there.......
Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
What irks me is the vent ducts are already there. if you look there are ducts at least in the higher end trims that run under the seat for air at the foot level and then there are also ducts in the center console for vents in the backseat. It couldn't be that difficult to install a small duct on each seat with an electric fan to push air through. The hard part is already done.
Exactly! I don't even think a fan is necessary. Just a duct extension and a butterfly valve to either direct it to the seat or not.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly- they are an option on the new Bronco. Just saying, Big guy (6'5" 285) like me makes a lot of sweat on hot leather seats.
OK, I see where you are coming from - I could think back to some folks I've worked with who had sweat and heat dissipation issues. You made me think.
Hey, I can learn, too...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dude, you lost me. What happened between the post where you were criticizing me for wanting them and this one where you are hoping they offer them in the future?

LOL - didn't say "hoping" - just that there could be some reasoning they didn't offer it - like "rush to production", "had to call a stop somewhere"
Here's where the hope comes in - I was hoping these get popular, maybe I didn't break the sentences right. My bad if so.

I hope these actually start to sell - so far, around here, I STILL NEVER SEE ANY and that bugs me.
To clarify - I hope the Gladiator sticks around, I hope they keep selling, or actually start selling. Jeep has to watch for Ford now - for your sake, maybe they'll try to keep up with Ford Bronco.
Would I pay extra to get that? No, not in my case - at least not today. But at 63, I don't know what the future will bring to anyone.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
LOL - didn't say "hoping" - just that there could be some reasoning they didn't offer it - like "rush to production", "had to call a stop somewhere"
Here's where the hope comes in - I was hoping these get popular, maybe I didn't break the sentences right. My bad if so.

I hope these actually start to sell - so far, around here, I STILL NEVER SEE ANY and that bugs me.
To clarify - I hope the Gladiator sticks around, I hope they keep selling, or actually start selling. Jeep has to watch for Ford now - for your sake, maybe they'll try to keep up with Ford Bronco.
Would I pay extra to get that? No, not in my case - at least not today. But at 63, I don't know what the future will bring to anyone.
They might sell a lot more here in AZ if they offered cooled seats. ;)

Sponsored

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
Do you think those ducts exist on an Overland? I'll have to go look. Small fans are cheap, and low power consumption - but, devil's advocate here for a bit - one reason there are no power seats if the motors and cables - WATER. These can ford water up to what, 33 or is it 36" - you can't have electric motors down there.
Well, what about brushless electric, sort of like the cooling fans in computers.......
Is there a practical reason like water depth, or was it "no time this first year, need to get it out fast, may look at it later" reasoning?
Just tossing stuff out there.......
Thats a good question, I know they have cooled seatsin the Rams. In my overland there are HVAC ducts directly under both front seats (besides the ones in the middle), I am surprised that they are not offered- Ford began putting them in 10-12 years ago and Chevy shortly after, Not sure when FCA started in the Rams. There is cooled seats in the Denali trim for the GMC canyon and an option for the Colorado, So it's not unheard of for midsize to have the cooled seats.

I bet they are going to put them in that clapped out Wrangler Raspberry, or whatever the new blinged out version is.

Apparently you can get them aftermarket (of course), at least for a Wrangler.
https://katzkin.com/product-options/

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They might sell a lot more here in AZ if they offered cooled seats. ;)
There ya go....... using logic........ you mean the state where businesses open at 4am and close at 2pm due to the heat?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thats a good question, I know they have cooled seatsin the Rams. In my overland there are HVAC ducts directly under both front seats (besides the ones in the middle), I am surprised that they are not offered- Ford began putting them in 10-12 years ago and Chevy shortly after, Not sure when FCA started in the Rams. There is cooled seats in the Denali trim for the GMC canyon and an option for the Colorado, So it's not unheard of for midsize to have the cooled seats.

I bet they are going to put them in that clapped out Wrangler Raspberry, or whatever the new blinged out version is.

Apparently you can get them aftermarket (of course), at least for a Wrangler.
https://katzkin.com/product-options/
Hmm, will have to take a look and see if I can figure how hard it would be, etc. Interesting........
OK, but say you have the AC on auto, temp set to 68 and it's blowing air out the dash vents and so on - and you have fans blowing air down to the seats - that's not very cool, not IMO. That air would tkae forever to cool a hot seet - that's a lot of MASS, and it takes BTUs to remove heat from mass like that. Just kicking things out - would they not need to come off the evaporator with a channel just for the seats? Colder air than comes out the dash?
Wondering - not an arguement against, just wondering on the practical, design side.
Some systems I've seen actually had an evaporator in the rear of the vehicle instead of piping coolede air from the front end to the back.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There ya go....... using logic........ you mean the state where businesses open at 4am and close at 2pm due to the heat?
I'm in Tucson and we feel sorry for Phoenicians. They are lucky this time of year if the overnight low is below 90.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in Tucson and we feel sorry for Phoenicians. They are lucky this time of year if the overnight low is below 90.
I visited a friend in Phoenix about 7 or so years ago. Went out there for the big car auction, he had a huge party. Got to drive some of his classics while there.
It was late January, first of February. In Iowa, major snow storm, highs about 0 or so.
I was wearing shorts and a light t-shirt. Several of us were standing around in my friend's driveway yakking, and it started getting dark. One by one these guys left for their houses and later came back with jackets. I think it might have dropped to about 60. I'm still there in shorts and my t.
Finally I was the only one left with no jacket. They suddenly realized this and stopped talking and one of them said "look at the Iowa guy - loving this weather!" They were chilly, I was comfortable - especially when I thought of what I had left weather-wise at home.
He lived I believe it was a suburb of Phoenix around the NW side? His shop was out there a ways. He talked of some mountain you could see there from his place, like a double humped camel or something. Had a name for it.

Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I visited a friend in Phoenix about 7 or so years ago. Went out there for the big car auction, he had a huge party. Got to drive some of his classics while there.
It was late January, first of February. In Iowa, major snow storm, highs about 0 or so.
I was wearing shorts and a light t-shirt. Several of us were standing around in my friend's driveway yakking, and it started getting dark. One by one these guys left for their houses and later came back with jackets. I think it might have dropped to about 60. I'm still there in shorts and my t.
Finally I was the only one left with no jacket. They suddenly realized this and stopped talking and one of them said "look at the Iowa guy - loving this weather!" They were chilly, I was comfortable - especially when I thought of what I had left weather-wise at home.
He lived I believe it was a suburb of Phoenix around the NW side? His shop was out there a ways. He talked of some mountain you could see there from his place, like a double humped camel or something. Had a name for it.
Camelback Mountain. More like a mole hill. Tucson is surrounded on 3 sides by mountains greater than 9000 ft. On one there is a ski area ~45 mins away (but otherwise, it's nothing to brag about.) We are about 1000 ft higher than Phoenix and a bit cooler, particularly at night.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
Absolutely. Cooled seats. If they are offered I would have picked them up. They are common here in Houston even in beater F150s, most new high end trucks come with them. Texas is the hottest (and in Houston) the most humid place in the US. Today it is currently 96 with a heat index of 110, and 88% humidity. It's know as swamp ass by the Cajun's and the city is literally the Bayou city with a record setting total of over 20 inches of rain- in a day. Heated seats are of no use here, but man cooled ones come in mighty nice on my friends F250 after a day of fishing on the intercostal.
Cooled seats - sounds like some one needs to get their local seamstress to modify the lava jacket to make some lava pants -
https://www.quadratec.com/products/12251_0702_14.htm
Says it is no longer available but someone figured out how to plug into the vent - how hard could it be to rig it to a vented seat cushion.

Last edited:

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
A way to disable auto stop/start without rigging it.
There's a button on the center console that disables the feature. Many folks complain about auto start-stop, but how hard is it to push a button? At least we have that ability.
Many vehicles come with this feature and there isn't a built in option to turn it off.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There's a button on the center console that disables the feature. Many folks complain about auto start-stop, but how hard is it to push a button? At least we have that ability.
Many vehicles come with this feature and there isn't a built in option to turn it off.
People can either hate it and get an ulcer over something so simple (because it's a control issue for 'em so frustrating they can't make Jeep change it) or they can accept that it's here and Jeep is NOT the only one.

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81ā€™ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ā€˜18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
I purchased the Gaia apple App. It is pretty decent and works on the 8.4 factory screen using carplay. Does OnX work that way too?
I havenā€™t tried it that way I just mount my phone and go. I donā€™t know if Apple play supports it I havenā€™t tried it- I just stay in the phone
Sponsored