Sponsored

Difference between Sport S and Rubicon Suspension

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 (Bessie), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Bright White (DJ), 2016 Jeep JK Willy’s (traded for wife to get Ford Focus due to work), 2018 JLU Sahara (Wife’s traded for JT)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I dunno, I don't have access to a lift, I'm not really motivated to do the suspension install first, gunna work on other mods I think.
@steffen707 today’s the day, right? Super excited for you! So if not the suspension yet what are the top three items?
Sponsored

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 (Bessie), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Bright White (DJ), 2016 Jeep JK Willy’s (traded for wife to get Ford Focus due to work), 2018 JLU Sahara (Wife’s traded for JT)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
A58E14D6-B81B-47BE-9E9C-6875DCE8B4A3.jpeg
8BD91975-25F0-4C65-B457-42CEEF5738FA.jpeg
1E06E7FD-BC65-48E6-A585-FDA8F2C4C584.jpeg
290FAC17-9B59-4789-AEE0-9DF05989F497.jpeg

These are from the sports s with cheap tow package.
@Jtleng did you do an alignment after you swapped to the rubi take offs? And about how long did it take you to complete the swap when you did it? Thanks for the info!

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
@Jtleng did you do an alignment after you swapped to the rubi take offs? And about how long did it take you to complete the swap when you did it? Thanks for the info!
Unless you're also adding adjustable LCAs or an adjustable track bar, there's little to align. You can recenter your steering wheel, which is easy. And you could theoretically adjust toe, but I can't imagine you'd need to after swapping out OEM springs for slightly stiffer OEM springs.

More here.

Maximus Meridius

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S , 2018 Jeep Compass, 2016 WRX
IMHO the control arms control caster, ball joints and axle housing do the camber. Lifting in any form pushes the frame up making the control arms roll the axle housing. If you do nothing to the tie rod ends your toe stays the same. My axle housing looks like they have adjustment with cams in the lower control arm mountings at the axle housing so you may be able to tweak the caster back into preferred spec. You don’t want to build something that once there is the slightest wear somewhere you develop the curse of solid axles!!! Lift it, wheel and tire it, and stabilizer it, but by all means put it on an alignment machine and get it back to factory alignment specs. If that means adjustable track bar and adjustable lower control arms, get off your wallet. It’s a brand new vehicle.

Jtleng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
21377B30-4A8B-4ECE-93CF-341EAB4B1933.jpeg
4FFA4553-41EB-44B2-AA08-E7272F6E5866.jpeg
No it didn’t need an alignment.
Checked the alignment and was still good.
The swap took about 30 minutes a wheel.
Did it in my driveway so swapped one at a time. Much easier to do than the JK

Sponsored

BMcD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S

Did you change all the parts or just shocks and springs? I know some have posted the Rubicon and Sport S parts were the same except for shocks and springs.

Jtleng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Did you change all the parts or just shocks and springs? I know some have posted the Rubicon and Sport S parts were the same except for shocks and springs.
Yes, just replaced the shocks and springs, everything else was exactly the the same size.

BMcD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Yes, just replaced the shocks and springs, everything else was exactly the the same size.
Supposed to get my Rubicon takeoffs this weekend...thanks for the info

BMcD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Cool,
You like it much better then the stock Sport suspension.
I’m looking forward to it. Wanting the extra inch plus I tow a good bit. The larger numbers do go on the passenger side front and rear correct?

All I need now is tires.

Sponsored

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase

Sounds good! I was able to finally pick mine up from back home and should be able to install Friday as long as the weather is cooperative! Thanks again for the info!

Jtleng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I’m looking forward to it. Wanting the extra inch plus I tow a good bit. The larger numbers do go on the passenger side front and rear correct?

All I need now is tires.
Yes, the bigger numbers go on passenger side

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So i swapped a Rubicon suspension in my Max Tow Sport S today and wanted to share some items. Front spring appeared a bit larger and new shock did raise the entire jeep by about 3/4". My concern is actually the rear. I pulled out spring 444AC and 445AB. These springs appeared same thickness as new ones but had more "rings" than the new ones. They appeared pretty stiff. Side by side they looked the same height on the bench. The new was a 541AC and can't remember the other side. So theory is bigger spring but the drive test appeared more spongy to me. It did increase the ride height by about 3/4-1". I need to drive it some more and make sure all is set in but the limited drive I didn't like. So I guess my question is are there any Rubicon owners out there with MAX tow that can pull rear spring numbers ? I dont know if the Rubi springs I got were from one with towing or not. All in all the truck looks good, just dont like the ride now
Jeep Gladiator Difference between Sport S and Rubicon Suspension {filename}

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So i swapped a Rubicon suspension in my Max Tow Sport S today and wanted to share some items. Front spring appeared a bit larger and new shock did raise the entire jeep by about 3/4". My concern is actually the rear. I pulled out spring 444AC and 445AB. These springs appeared same thickness as new ones but had more "rings" than the new ones. They appeared pretty stiff. Side by side they looked the same height on the bench. The new was a 541AC and can't remember the other side. So theory is bigger spring but the drive test appeared more spongy to me. It did increase the ride height by about 3/4-1". I need to drive it some more and make sure all is set in but the limited drive I didn't like. So I guess my question is are there any Rubicon owners out there with MAX tow that can pull rear spring numbers ? I dont know if the Rubi springs I got were from one with towing or not. All in all the truck looks good, just dont like the ride now
Jeep Gladiator Difference between Sport S and Rubicon Suspension {filename}
451, not 541. The Rubicon rear coil is a 451.

You're correct that the 445 is used on the Max Tow.

You can't get Rubicon with Max Tow package. Rubicon also has 30% less payload capacity.

The "rings" you noticed on the Max Tow coils are actually called "progressive rate coils". The purpose is to give you a smooth, comfy ride while the truck is empty, but a much higher load carrying capacity as the truck is loaded and the suspension begins to sag. Conversely, the Rubicon coils likely are either a fixed rate coil, or at best they don't have as many progressive coils in them. The purpose of those is to flex better while off-road and remain consistent in ride quality.

Thanks for posting your findings. This is helpful because a lot of guys want to know the difference between Rubicon and Max Tow. Clearly, Max Tow is built for work and Rubicon is built for driving trails.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Correct I understand all the reasons for each spring was just surprised at the change in ride. I did talk to the guy i got them from and he had the "max tow" package on the Rubi, but as we know its less due to plates and other stuff thats makes the jeep heavier. I guess at this point I'm gonna try it for a few weeks, but may switch back to the standard rears and try to figure out if adding a rubber puck would be better. Not a fan of those and only want the 3/4"-1" raise as the new springs do but dont like the ride quality now. I dont tow every day but did buy the max tow so i could tow if needed. My concern now is the back will sag too much with these springs or be very bouncy. I have a 1500 # car trailer so may hook it up and throw the JK on it one afternoon and see how it does. The JK is a 2 door rag top so its not max tow but should help determine which route to go.

Once i figure pictures i'll post one. Looks nice with the granite rims to match the jeep. Just need to find some lug nuts now. The fox shocks definitely are nice.
Sponsored