Disable honking when stepping out while engine is running

auxSwitch

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubi, FZ6
I've done some searching on forums, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer - is there a way to disable the honking when I step out of the vehicle with the keyfob in my pocket? It's really really really annoying.

UPDATE: based on the discussion, it appears that this is a functionality that was implemented in 2022 year models, in addition to the usual blinking lights. Manual, page 17 (thank you, @SURF&TURF ). According to dealers (so far) - it cannot be disabled. Aftermarket, you are our only hope (or, just don't close the door when you step out of the vehicle)

Jeep Gladiator Disable honking when stepping out while engine is running 1642728376544
Sponsored

Last edited:

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Mine doesn't do do that. I must have turned it off somehow. Maybe change the door lock horn setting to "on second press" instead of first pres? That's the one thing I can think I might have changed. Or maybe it's because I have the proximity doors? I know that mine doesn't honk when I get out with the key and engine on (unless another key is left in the jeep).

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Mine doesn't do do that. I must have turned it off somehow. Maybe change the door lock horn setting to "on second press" instead of first pres? That's the one thing I can think I might have changed. Or maybe it's because I have the proximity doors? I know that mine doesn't honk when I get out with the key and engine on (unless another key is left in the jeep).
Mine doesn't do it either, and I don't have proximity doors. But, IIRC, I turned off the horn/sound when locking feature.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine doesn't do it either, and I don't have proximity doors. But, IIRC, I turned off the horn/sound when locking feature.
We must be on to something! I changed mine to second press (default is first), and you turned yours off completely

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
It still does it with it set to Second Press.

Kevin

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Hmm? Maybe model year comes into play? Is it something possibly added (or taken away) at some point?
It seems like every other feature is year-dependent, so why not this?
I have a 2021 Sport S, and it honks when I close the door with it running, with the horn-on-lock set to second press.

Kevin

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I have a '21 and turned off honking w/ locking on day 1. Never honked while getting out of the truck while running w/ the fob leaving.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It seems like every other feature is year-dependent, so why not this?
I have a 2021 Sport S, and it honks when I close the door with it running, with the horn-on-lock set to second press.

Kevin
2021 Rubicon, built Feb 18, 2021. No horn beep on exit.

Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Yup, I just double checked that I have my "Sound Horn with Lock" set to OFF, and no horn beep upon fob exit with engine running.
2021 Mojave, built around June.

OP
OP
auxSwitch

auxSwitch

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubi, FZ6
Mine is a 2022 JTR and I do have proximity entry and remote start, and I did set "honk on 2nd lock" in Settings. Still, when I pulled over last night to adjust my kid's toys in the back, after I was done, I was greeted by the owners of the house looking out of the window because (I assume) they thought i was trying to get their attention. Ugh... Whoever came up with this safety feature didn't think it through.

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is a 2022 JTR and I do have proximity entry and remote start, and I did set "honk on 2nd lock" in Settings. Still, when I pulled over last night to adjust my kid's toys in the back, after I was done, I was greeted by the owners of the house looking out of the window because (I assume) they thought i was trying to get their attention. Ugh... Whoever came up with this safety feature didn't think it through.
One more variable to check, because the build dates are not consistent either: parking brake or no?

OP
OP
auxSwitch

auxSwitch

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubi, FZ6
One more variable to check, because the build dates are not consistent either: parking brake or no?
That's a good point. Will have to test it tonight on the way back from work. No parking brake, since this one is an automatic. My previous was 2018 JLU with a manual (and it didn't honk), so that one would always be on parking brake when i stepped out.
Sponsored