Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Bill, you do what you want.

But to tell someone else not to worry because it's small potatoes without realizing where the reporting threshold is just not a good thing to say.
Dealerships and body shops are supposed to report a VIN with damage over a set amount.
This keeps dishonest people from selling a wrecked vehicle as "like new".

This is the reason Car Fax and other such companies can sell their services.
My TJ was totaled in Dallas. 9 mos later Carfax showed it titled in shreveport, LA with a clean title. They suck.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My TJ was totaled in Dallas. 9 mos later Carfax showed it titled in shreveport, LA with a clean title. They suck.
That's because there is NO mandatory reporting, and few body shops report. It costs them time and money and it's a hassle. Doesn't take much of a search to show the truth. Carfax is no god.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You will not find me going head to head with @ShadowsPapa . This guy is a walking typing fact sheet. Well maybe after a few to many:LOL: but I'll regret it in the morning.
HAHAHA - in my work over the years I've had to learn and be a sponge and do it quickly.

I've been wrong on things for sure.

There's many here I defer to - if I ever want to mod my JT's engine in certain ways, it will go to Illinois and see a guy named Dave.
I've learned a ton just right here in these forums.

And if you go for those beers - bring a few this way. Been sitting around sicker 'n a dog the past week not able to get out to my shop for a week.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
And if you go for those beers - bring a few this way. Been sitting around sicker 'n a dog the past week not able to get out to my shop for a week.
Well your only about 2.5 hours away from where I go photograph the eagles in the winter. Give me 6 weeks or so and I may just do that.
Jeep Gladiator DIY Fix or Dealer/Insurance? 312

Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Gets some Bondo, rattle can matched paint and call it good, itā€™s a beater now.
OR, thereā€™s this thing called insurance, pay the deductible, get it fixed professionally and call it a day.šŸ¤”

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
That's because there is NO mandatory reporting, and few body shops report. It costs them time and money and it's a hassle. Doesn't take much of a search to show the truth. Carfax is no god.
I donā€™t know about all that. Butā€¦
I met with Jeep engineers after contacting the regional manager and in forming them that their airbags didnā€™t deploy after hitting a 1980-81 Buick Toronado so hard itā€™s rear left bumper was 8 inches from the drivers seat. It was a set up type accident. Now the illegals just have to get across the border to get paidā€¦But I digressā€¦. The insurance company also sent 2 people the same day. I believe the insurance company sold it as scrap. Sure wouldnā€™t want to be the individual that bought it. The frame was bent and lifted (diamond) the little once beauty. Our decelerated impact was said to be 50+mph. Other than sore shins and armsā€¦no injuries.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
In your shoes, I see it as stupid tax, fix it right and move on with my life. Trust me, I pay stupid tax all the time.

It may feel like a big deal, but it's really just a 'minor accident'. This is an expensive vehicle, I couldn't live with myself if I botched a DIY job on a brand new truck.

Whether or not I would claim it on insurance, is based on the quote I get from a few body shops vs my deductible and any perceived premium increases.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I donā€™t know about all that. Butā€¦
I met with Jeep engineers after contacting the regional manager and in forming them that their airbags didnā€™t deploy after hitting a 1980-81 Buick Toronado so hard itā€™s rear left bumper was 8 inches from the drivers seat. It was a set up type accident. Now the illegals just have to get across the border to get paidā€¦But I digressā€¦. The insurance company also sent 2 people the same day. I believe the insurance company sold it as scrap. Sure wouldnā€™t want to be the individual that bought it. The frame was bent and lifted (diamond) the little once beauty. Our decelerated impact was said to be 50+mph. Other than sore shins and armsā€¦no injuries.
Hard to follow what the S#@t is the point?
Sponsored