Sponsored

Does the upgraded Alpine system include a subwoofer?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I am more than impressed with the Alpine set up in the Overland Edition. I didn't expect it to really boom, but I was wrong. I have been doing auto-sound competitions since the late 90's and for a factory set up...this really competes with a lot of the higher end German cars for factory sound.
I did the Alpine sponsored contests in the 1980s with my 87 Comanche - 2 amps, EQ, CD head unit, 4 cross-overs, pair of 8" subs in an enclosure I used a computer program to design...... baffles I made to direct the highs from the tweeters in the door panels and the B pillars, and it sounded a lot better than this Overland Alpine system.
Sorry, this sounds muddy to me compared to my premium sound in my Silverado and especially to my Comanche Alpine system that even back then I had close to 4 grand invested in. (DIN cables and all)
There's no EQ with this - you get the same three adjustments you get with any basic system for the most part.
And again, it sounds muddy. Yes, it booms - but that's not quality. Almost any car that pulls up next to me at a stop light "booms".
It's clean sound I'm after - perfect reproduction. Not boom.
I'm disappointed. I had better sound in the Comanche I built the system for. Far better highs and mid-range.
I want clean sound, accurate reproduction. Not boom - that reminds me of the kids in town.
Sponsored

cpgeorge25

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
So now that you installed the new speakers, how much better addre the upper mids and trebles? How about with the top off?
I get a little more midbass and way more highs. Exactly what I wanted.

Reactions: jlg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I get a little more midbass and way more highs. Exactly what I wanted.
In short, less muddy........... so it would sound better than the premium sound system does stock.

Sponsored

cpgeorge25

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
In short, less muddy........... so it would sound better than the premium sound system does stock.
Yes. That was all it needed. Just better tweeters in the upper dash corners. Now the system as a whole sounds great. Even more clear when I do apple car play with a cable!

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
I did the Alpine sponsored contests in the 1980s with my 87 Comanche - 2 amps, EQ, CD head unit, 4 cross-overs, pair of 8" subs in an enclosure I used a computer program to design...... baffles I made to direct the highs from the tweeters in the door panels and the B pillars, and it sounded a lot better than this Overland Alpine system.
Sorry, this sounds muddy to me compared to my premium sound in my Silverado and especially to my Comanche Alpine system that even back then I had close to 4 grand invested in. (DIN cables and all)
There's no EQ with this - you get the same three adjustments you get with any basic system for the most part.
And again, it sounds muddy. Yes, it booms - but that's not quality. Almost any car that pulls up next to me at a stop light "booms".
It's clean sound I'm after - perfect reproduction. Not boom.
I'm disappointed. I had better sound in the Comanche I built the system for. Far better highs and mid-range.
I want clean sound, accurate reproduction. Not boom - that reminds me of the kids in town.
I would say if you leave all the settings as they come from the factory...yes...very muddy, very flat. I increased the Highs and mids. Lowered the bass just a bit. It's not going to ever sound as good as the higher end aftermarket goodies...but It does compare to my VW, Audi, and BMW I owned previously.

cpgeorge25

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
So now that you installed the new speakers, how much better addre the upper mids and trebles? How about with the top off?
I’m sorry but I haven’t taken the to off. I don’t have a place to store it. I do drive with the windows down at high speeds and it is plenty loud for me.

cpgeorge25

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I would say if you leave all the settings as they come from the factory...yes...very muddy, very flat. I increased the Highs and mids. Lowered the bass just a bit. It's not going to ever sound as good as the higher end aftermarket goodies...but It does compare to my VW, Audi, and BMW I owned previously.
I agree. I have my treble at 7-8, mids at 3 and bass at 2. I can crank my rock and rap music to 32 and it is still clear.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sorry but I haven’t taken the to off. I don’t have a place to store it. I do drive with the windows down at high speeds and it is plenty loud for me.
LOL - that's my problem, no place to store it - and the temps have been in the teens and 20s for the most part, hitting the 30s now and then.......... not a good time to go topless or even just remove the panels. I'm sure the good folks in Alaska would be calling me a wimp after seeing that HAHA - where temps over 60 are considered a heat wave.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. That was all it needed. Just better tweeters in the upper dash corners. Now the system as a whole sounds great. Even more clear when I do apple car play with a cable!
Thanks for all the info here - good stuff.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reminder on this one...I agree. System sounds great but a bit more highs up front are needed. I ended up with the infinity reference ref-3032cfx 3.5s. Little did I remember when I logged into Crutchfield I had $49 in points....so this just became a pretty inexpensive upgrade!

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Thanks for this information! Just got my JT last week. It has the mid-range audio system. I don't know if it has a subwoofer, but I'm pretty happy with the bass. However, I was thinking it sounded a bit muted and some new corner speakers with good tweeters would help. Here's the answer.

I put an aftermarket Alpine sound system into my 2000 Cherokee. I installed small woofers in the doors and tweeters up high on the door panels. The tweeters are really spiffy and came with capacitors built into the factory cables. So, I'm wondering if Alpine makes a direct-fit speaker, with a really nice tweeter, for the JT. I suppose a call to Crutchfield would be worthwhile.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I installed the Infinity REF-3032 speakers in my dash yesterday. I did not see anyone mention these speakers require capacitors to be installed on the positive side. The capacitors come in the box, but it's not obvious in the instructions. I called Crutchfield and they confirmed the capacitors are supposed to be installed and the warranty would be void I didn't install them.

The rep at Crutchfield said those capacitors prevent high sounds from getting to the speakers, but I think she is mistaken. As I understand it, in a crossover network, capacitors filter out low frequencies and inductors filter out high frequencies. (In a crossover network, you connect the tweeters to the capacitors, the woofers to the inductors, and the midranges get both.) Therefore, the extra capacitors likely filter very low frequencies to keep the speakers from clipping. The tweeters also have a very a small capacitor which is in place from the factory; likely to filter out all low frequencies.

Anyway, I really like these little speakers! While I thought my factory audio system sounded good, it was a little muddy. The Infinity tweeters up in the dash really brighten things up, but they're far from overwhelming. With the recent passing of Mr. Peart, I though it fitting to test the new speakers by cranking up some Rush. While I'm not the ultimate audiophile, I am somewhat of an audio snob. Wow, this system sounds great! Personally, I'm not impressed by car audio systems with multiple, massive subwoofers designed to rattle buildings. If that's your thing, cool. But the music I listen to, like Rush, is not supposed to sound that way. Right now, my JT sound system makes it seem like Neil Peart is hitting his double base drum right in the back seat and that's the way I like it.

So, I'm extremely happy with these little speakers. But again, be aware if you install them, you must install the included capacitors on the positive side. I soldered one end of the capacitor to the positive terminal on the speaker and soldered the other end to the positive clip on the little harness. It was a snug fit, but I got everything in the factory speakers holes just fine after grinding off the edges of the speaker mounting tabs.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
Odd, I got the same speakers and the CAPs were already installed.

upload_2020-1-13_8-25-17.png

Got mine from Crutchfield also.
Sponsored