Sponsored

Does the upgraded Alpine system include a subwoofer?

Snowdogyyz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Odd, I got the same speakers and the CAPs were already installed.

upload_2020-1-13_8-25-17.png

Got mine from Crutchfield also.
Mine look like yours too. I didn’t install any other capacitors and my speakers don’t look like they’re working very hard or clipping. I had Tool’s new album cranked and it sounded awesome with no static or clipping (about 25-26 on the volume meter). I’m hoping extra caps aren’t needed as the speakers barely fit as it is!
Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Odd, I got the same speakers and the CAPs were already installed.

upload_2020-1-13_8-25-17.png

Got mine from Crutchfield also.
Those are the small capacitors for the tweeters which I mentioned are installed at the factory. There are two additional, larger capacitors in the box kind of hidden within a slot in the styrofoam. Sorry, I should have taken pictures of the larger capacitors. If you still have the box, check it. You will likely find the larger capacitors.

If your speakers are working fine, cool. I just wanted to share that there are two additional capacitors which the manufacturer wants us to install.

Last edited:

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a picture of one of the speakers with the capacitor installed. (This is from the Jeep Wrangler forum.)

front_speaker2.jpg

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
Well now I'm going to check the box!!

And there they are!!! So dug through all the instructions that came with those and no mention of the caps...where did you see the info for the Gladiators/JLs that these are to be used?

Thanks!

So I see now what's going on. The capacitor that's on the speaker (the smaller one) is for the tweeter inside the cone. The larger capacitor is for the 3.5" cone driver. The 270uF cap according to Infinity is a cutoff at 196hz 6db/octive. According to other charts it's more like 150hz but maybe Infinity is accounting for the 6db rolloff starting point.

The bigger question is...does the stock Alpine amp already filter the low frequencies going to those dash speakers? Or did the stock speakers have a capacitor on them? If the Alpine system is acting as an active crossover you are better off leaving the larger caps off. If the Alipine system is NOT acting as an active crossover then the caps should absolutely be installed.

Did some searching on the JL forum and found this too:
Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system
and

Last edited:

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well now I'm going to check the box!!

And there they are!!! So dug through all the instructions that came with those and no mention of the caps...where did you see the info for the Gladiators/JLs that these are to be used?

Thanks!

So I see now what's going on. The capacitor that's on the speaker (the smaller one) is for the tweeter inside the cone. The larger capacitor is for the 3.5" cone driver. The 270uF cap according to Infinity is a cutoff at 196hz 6db/octive. According to other charts it's more like 150hz but maybe Infinity is accounting for the 6db rolloff starting point.

The bigger question is...does the stock Alpine amp already filter the low frequencies going to those dash speakers? Or did the stock speakers have a capacitor on them? If the Alpine system is acting as an active crossover you are better off leaving the larger caps off. If the Alipine system is NOT acting as an active crossover then the caps should absolutely be installed.

Did some searching on the JL forum and found this too:
and
Hmmm... Like is mentioned in that thread, I do get a very soft "pop" when I turn on the radio. I haven't notice it when the doors close, but I will check. This all seems very strange. Maybe the factory system does have a crossover built in somewhere. (??) I can't fathom why adding caps would cause a popping sound.

Sponsored

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't notice it when the doors close, but I will check.
That sounded weird to me too...I'm wondering if they just mis-typed and meant turning the Jeep on/off. That whole thread has others talking about the popping sound also. Thank you for pointing it out though! I did stress test mine right after putting them in with volume cranked and different songs to see if I could get the drivers to bottom...the only rattles or popping I heard were some rattles in my soundbar...that I'll eventually need to resolve. When I grabbed the soundbar plastic tightly the rattling stopped....so..clearly something is loose somewhere in there.

Saharacane

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Dog Dad
Thanks for the reminder on this one...I agree. System sounds great but a bit more highs up front are needed. I ended up with the infinity reference ref-3032cfx 3.5s. Little did I remember when I logged into Crutchfield I had $49 in points....so this just became a pretty inexpensive upgrade!
I realize this was 2.5 yrs ago, but do you remember if you installed the capacitors that came with those dash speakers? I have the upgraded factory Alpine system as well and I'm about to install those same ones and would like to not have to add those capacitors.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I realize this was 2.5 yrs ago, but do you remember if you installed the capacitors that came with those dash speakers? I have the upgraded factory Alpine system as well and I'm about to install those same ones and would like to not have to add those capacitors.
I did not, 100% still working great.

dmoralesbello

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, Hydro Blue Pearl
Occupation
Plastic Surgeon
Does the fact that the OEM 3.5" dash speakers are rated at 8ohms and the replacement Infinity speakers are rated at 4ohms matter?

Sponsored

Mojave Nunzio

First Name
Nunzio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Control Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Does the fact that the OEM 3.5" dash speakers are rated at 8ohms and the replacement Infinity speakers are rated at 4ohms matter?
4ohms will be a louder speaker :)

dmoralesbello

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, Hydro Blue Pearl
Occupation
Plastic Surgeon
I've read elsewhere that going from an 8ohm to a 4ohm speaker (keeping everything else the same) will cause the replacement speaker and wires to overheat. True?
Sponsored