Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Crime fighter.
Yes, the factory Alpine system already splits the signal into "woofer" and "tweeter" for the stock 4" and 3.5" speakers, respectively. The MTX speakers hook right up with the supplied harnesses (from Crutchfield) such that what was going to the 4" speaker now goes to the 6.5" speaker, and what was going to the 3.5" speaker now goes to the MTX component tweeter. It works great. The bass response is tight and strong and the highs are crisp.

The issue here is that these are so much larger than the ones they replace--and hang so much lower--that the soundstage is effectively moved even more rearward in the vehicle. I bought those Terra Acoustic speakers for the dash corners, but they are less efficient and, mixed with these, it seems like almost all the sound is coming from behind my head. Therefore, I took out the Terra Acoustics and put some very "bright" Infinity 3032's in the dash corners to make up for this to some extent, which helps, but with the way the MTX speakers in the pods hang down, they're literally right behind your head. They sound great but I am trying to figure out how to bring the soundstage forward without having to add an amp.
Adjust the fader forward a click or two in the settings?
Sponsored

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
just finished. Not components. The mb quart adapters come with a short wiring piece that connects to the smaller stock speaker wiring and to new speaker. Easy is understatement.
again, this isnt for everyone as it involves cutting the inside of the soundbar, but it works for me.

BC26FCFC-C0CE-4295-B94C-2EDD502E86D1.jpeg
Now that you have had these for some time, are you still satisfied with the sound? Do you have the Alpine premium sound with two speaker leads on each side? I am thinking of going the 6x9 route in an attempt to try to gain back what I lost.

I cut my soundbar and added the Alpine SPV-65-JLT upgrades as I detailed in a previous thread. I thought that it would "break-in" nicely after some time but after living with it for a couple of months now, I am not convinced this was the way to go. The tweeter high end is definitely improved but the added bass from 6-1/2 drivers is more of a boomy mid-bass. Pulling down the EQ to compensate takes the deep bass from the system (and sub) and too much is lost in the process. To my ear, it was better with the smaller 4-inch stock drivers because their response was minimal, and I could use the EQ and sub to my advantage.

I am not interested in dual subs or a bigger amp but would like to tweak the factory system a bit more to get that low bass. Now that my soundbar is cut, maybe 6x9's will do the trick?

Dlish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Plastics
Now that you have had these for some time, are you still satisfied with the sound? Do you have the Alpine premium sound with two speaker leads on each side? I am thinking of going the 6x9 route in an attempt to try to gain back what I lost.

I cut my soundbar and added the Alpine SPV-65-JLT upgrades as I detailed in a previous thread. I thought that it would "break-in" nicely after some time but after living with it for a couple of months now, I am not convinced this was the way to go. The tweeter high end is definitely improved but the added bass from 6-1/2 drivers is more of a boomy mid-bass. Pulling down the EQ to compensate takes the deep bass from the system (and sub) and too much is lost in the process. To my ear, it was better with the smaller 4-inch stock drivers because their response was minimal, and I could use the EQ and sub to my advantage.

I am not interested in dual subs or a bigger amp but would like to tweak the factory system a bit more to get that low bass. Now that my soundbar is cut, maybe 6x9's will do the trick?
Yes, its the premium sound with dual leads, the adapter just picked up from one.

i am completely happy with it. Now i am not an audiophile that is going to pick every part of the system apart. I use XM all the time, and listen to everything from Grateful Dead, to county, to Ozzy, to old school rap.
at higher volume the stock speakers couldnt handle all of the above, yet to have an issue with clarity turned up loud.
hope that helps, audio is so personal preferance. But with front roof off, windows down etc, this has worked for me

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Yes, its the premium sound with dual leads, the adapter just picked up from one.

i am completely happy with it. Now i am not an audiophile that is going to pick every part of the system apart. I use XM all the time, and listen to everything from Grateful Dead, to county, to Ozzy, to old school rap.
at higher volume the stock speakers couldnt handle all of the above, yet to have an issue with clarity turned up loud.
hope that helps, audio is so personal preferance. But with front roof off, windows down etc, this has worked for me
I was reading a couple of reviews on Crutchfield about this MB Quartz upgrade. There seems to be some confusion if these are correct for the premium systems. One person stated that if plugged into the one lead (as the instructions state), it will not allow tweeter operation. He said that he cut the tweeter wires to tap into the other lead for proper tweeter operation. Did you experience this?

Mojave Nunzio

First Name
Nunzio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Control Manager
Vehicle Showcase
After you add what ever speakers you choose for the sound bar what about adding poly fill to fill in the void air space around the speakers? I read different threads and it supposedly sounds much better.

Sponsored

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
After you add what ever speakers you choose for the sound bar what about adding poly fill to fill in the void air space around the speakers? I read different threads and it supposedly sounds much better.
Yes, on the Poly-Fil. It does make a difference.

Mojave Nunzio

First Name
Nunzio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Control Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the factory Alpine system already splits the signal into "woofer" and "tweeter" for the stock 4" and 3.5" speakers, respectively. The MTX speakers hook right up with the supplied harnesses (from Crutchfield) such that what was going to the 4" speaker now goes to the 6.5" speaker, and what was going to the 3.5" speaker now goes to the MTX component tweeter. It works great. The bass response is tight and strong and the highs are crisp.

The issue here is that these are so much larger than the ones they replace--and hang so much lower--that the soundstage is effectively moved even more rearward in the vehicle. I bought those Terra Acoustic speakers for the dash corners, but they are less efficient and, mixed with these, it seems like almost all the sound is coming from behind my head. Therefore, I took out the Terra Acoustics and put some very "bright" Infinity 3032's in the dash corners to make up for this to some extent, which helps, but with the way the MTX speakers in the pods hang down, they're literally right behind your head. They sound great but I am trying to figure out how to bring the soundstage forward without having to add an amp.
What size hole saw do you have to use for cutting out for the tweeters that you have?

RickF

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JT Rubicon
Adjust the fader forward a click or two in the settings?
I've tried that. For some reason, it doesn't simply move the sound forward as I'd like; it also throws off the bass response and generally makes the entire "mix" sound unnatural. Even though reinstalling the more efficient Infinity 3032s helped, I e-mailed the guy at Terra Acoustics and he recommended a small amp going just to the dash speakers. When I can afford it, I may do that using the Terra Acoustics units because I think they are better-quality drivers. It's strange that they only come as 8-ohm units, meaning that they produce less volume from the same wattage than 4-ohm speakers, which are far more common (and that every other speaker in my system uses). The system sounds great loud, but at a volume I can still hold a conversation over, it seems like most of the sound is coming from the big MTX speakers right behind my head.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Update to my previous post:

Yesterday I decided to pull the soundbar speakers and add more Poly-fil. At the time of install a few months ago, I only utilized the two 12" x 12" poly bats that were supplied with the Alpine kit and just sat in the soundbar behind the speakers loosely. Remembering the old saying "more must be better" I stopped off at my local Wallymart and picked up a bag of the stuff. This time I really stuffed it in the holes and cavities. I must say that plugging the soundbar hollow crevices helped the low frequency speaker performance. Overall, would not do this again.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
ANYBODY ? what is the part# for the Metra wire harness adapter for the 4" roll bar speakers ? I already have the adapter for the 3 1/2" dash speakers (Metra # 72-7902) I'm guessing this is the same adapter needed for the roll bar 3 1/2" speaker ????

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
I've tried that. For some reason, it doesn't simply move the sound forward as I'd like; it also throws off the bass response and generally makes the entire "mix" sound unnatural. Even though reinstalling the more efficient Infinity 3032s helped, I e-mailed the guy at Terra Acoustics and he recommended a small amp going just to the dash speakers. When I can afford it, I may do that using the Terra Acoustics units because I think they are better-quality drivers. It's strange that they only come as 8-ohm units, meaning that they produce less volume from the same wattage than 4-ohm speakers, which are far more common (and that every other speaker in my system uses). The system sounds great loud, but at a volume I can still hold a conversation over, it seems like most of the sound is coming from the big MTX speakers right behind my head.
An Amp is going to create a delay compared to the rest of the speakers. The amp has to process the signal and boost.. best to amp all speakers the same

FormerToyotaGuy

First Name
Acen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Legislative
I decided to stick with Alpine and replaced the 4" speakers in overhead bar with Alpine S series. What made even a bigger difference is I put sound deadening inside the bar. I also replaced the dash 3.5 with some better Alpine than stock and put sound deadening behind them as well. Its not like it made HUGE difference but the lows got better and it feels like at volume 17 felt like stock 21.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
has anyone tried the Metra soundbar speaker adapter? http://www.metraonline.com/part/JP-1015
I have a pair sitting in my living room right now waiting to go on the wifey's JLU. Going with Fosgate Prime R14X2 under the dash, Fosgate Punch P132 on top of the dash, and Fosgate PPS4-6 in the sound bar. She has a base model 5" screen that I upgraded to the 7" screen for her birthday last year, now it's time to finish the rest of the upgrade for her birthday this year. I'll likely install next wednesday, so I'll keep you posted on how they turn out.

MojaveLawyer

First Name
Agent X
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Law & Veteran
I just replaced the existing 4" & 3.5" speakers with Kicker 77KICK25AB (3.5") and 47KSC404 (4"). I was pretty happy with the factory Alpines other than they just weren't loud enough with the top off. These do the trick and add quite a bit of high end as well. I am currently waiting on a pair of the Terra Acoustic dash replacements which, according to their latest email, should be available soon. I may do 6.5's in the kick panel but that will depend on what everything sounds like once I get my sub installed. Pic quality is pretty bad...but that's what the replacements look like.

20220604_064716.jpg

Just want to take a moment to express my gratitude and thank you for sharing this. Sure enough, I ordered the same exact speakers and did this install, absolutely PERFECT!!! Thank you so much!!
Sponsored