Sponsored

Does the upgraded Alpine system include a subwoofer?

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Well after adding the $1,300 Alpine option to my order and having the truck for a week now, I can say that my opinion has changed. IF I could do it over again I'd skip the option.

Yes, the Alpine system has a little more thump. But at volumes above 14 on the touchscreen it starts to rattle and sound ghetto. And the remainder of the system sounds no different than the standard system. I came directly from a JLU with the standard system into the JT with the Alpine system and I remember thinking, "This is it? This is all that $1,300 adds?" I'm pretty disappointed.

In my college days 15-20 years ago I added $400 worth of equipment to my trucks that sounded way better than this Alpine system. I'm not mad about it though. I'll crank this system up and enjoy it. I just wouldn't order it again next time around.
I waffled for a bit on my order, but decided the $2500 ish upgrade price from the base model stereo to the 7 inch(Forced tech package) and the $1300 Alpine speaker upgrade for a total of $3800 bucks was a bridge to far.

I plan on putting that same $3800 towards a professional install of complete aftermarket system. Sucks, but it will ultimately make me happier.

There are a ton of good threads on the Wrangler forums on upgrading the factory and alpine systems. Everything from complete upgrades down to replacing speakers and subs.

Thanks for the heads up WXman, it seems many are very happy with the Alpine system, but some people may just want a bit more.
Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
6A67C10E-4B32-48B1-B25A-4AA11126BD86.jpeg
8A3947FA-D126-4F52-BFB2-61367A0074D1.jpeg
Here’s a couple of pictures showing what it looks like behind the back seats when you don’t get the Bass speaker or the Bluetooth speaker. Plenty of room for a shotgun or rifle here or under the back seats in the Jeep lockable shotgun/rifle box. And as you know you can also lock up the rear seat backs in their upright position so your shotgun or rifles can’t get stolen. Jeep try’s to think of everything.

mdrideout

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 CJ5 (want a Gladiator)
When I had a 2013 JK I got the premium alpine system, which basically just added a subwoofer. The whole system was still to quiet with the top off on the highway. The sub was decent but not great with soft top or topless. Back then it was only a $500 option and I still thought it was too much for just a sub. Newer ones upgraded other speakers too I believe. I was frustrated because I still felt like I needed to go aftermarket anyways and that it was a waste.

Anyone know what the deal is with Gladiator top off on the highway? Does the alpine system make a difference?

I'm tempted to go with the 5" screen and do my whole own system since Alpine is releasing a Gladiator specific aftermarket head unit soon.

It won't be long before there are shallow mount subs designed for that area behind or below the seats, and the driver's seat too, probably better than factory.

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
When I had a 2013 JK I got the premium alpine system, which basically just added a subwoofer. The whole system was still to quiet with the top off on the highway. The sub was decent but not great with soft top or topless. Back then it was only a $500 option and I still thought it was too much for just a sub. Newer ones upgraded other speakers too I believe. I was frustrated because I still felt like I needed to go aftermarket anyways and that it was a waste.

Anyone know what the deal is with Gladiator top off on the highway? Does the alpine system make a difference?

I'm tempted to go with the 5" screen and do my whole own system since Alpine is releasing a Gladiator specific aftermarket head unit soon.

It won't be long before there are shallow mount subs designed for that area behind or below the seats, and the driver's seat too, probably better than factory.
I haven't read much on here regarding the Alpine at highway speed top down. But I needed a lot of power in my JK to overcome the noise. Do I need to listen to John Mayers every note at 80 MPH? No. But I want to be able to.

Personally I think the best option is the 7inch, then a speaker an aftermarket upgrade. That $1200 will go a long way towards and amp, sub and new speakers. The Alpine refresh will likely be upwards of $3000, but now you still have shitty speakers. I don't think there is a sound quality difference between the stock and the Alpine, it's mainly plug and play is what you are paying for.

For Sport S types, the 7 inch upgrade is coupled with cold weather package, so for me that's additional cost I didn't plan for, so I'm sticking with 5in.

As for the sub, behind the rear seat or under the seat are both easy kills. If one doesn't have the under seat storage like myself. I suspect another year or two until JL makes a stealthbox.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Alpine option in my Overland, and it sounds great. I had to go into the audio options and turn the bass way down to keep it from pounding inside my head.

Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I waffled for a bit on my order, but decided the $2500 ish upgrade price from the base model stereo to the 7 inch(Forced tech package) and the $1300 Alpine speaker upgrade for a total of $3800 bucks was a bridge to far.
Yeah, that would be crazy. On the Rubicon, the big screen + Alpine only costs $1,420 at invoice. That's a pretty good deal, IMO. $3,800 just to get it would definitely be a bridge too far.

Kjm18

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Rubicon - Delivered 7/23
Occupation
Attorney

I'm not sure about any vehicle without the upgraded audio, but I've been driving around with the top off all week on the highway and I don't even need the volume all the way up to hear it perfectly. I'm a big fan.

cpgeorge25

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I bought my JT with the 8.4” radio and upgraded speakers. It sounds pretty good and it does get loud. Just play with the EQ. The bass in the smaller cab of the JT hits and the midbass is great. The only thing that it really needs is some highs. I ordered some new Kenwood dash corner speakers to fix that. It is a very easy install, just pop off the corner grills, plug and play.

732678C2-8B59-46DC-ADBE-23E8092C12F5.png

cpgeorge25

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I bought my JT with the 8.4” radio and upgraded speakers. It sounds pretty good and it does get loud. Just play with the EQ. The bass in the smaller cab of the JT hits and the midbass is great. The only thing that it really needs is some highs. I ordered some new Kenwood dash corner speakers to fix that. It is a very easy install, just pop off the corner grills, plug and play.

I have no affiliation with Crutchfield or Kenwood. I had a JKUR, then a JLUR and now a JTR. The upgraded factory radios are a nice upgrade that will be more than enough for most people.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)

Do these replace what is there already or is there no speakers there now?

Sponsored

cpgeorge25

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Do these replace what is there already or is there no speakers there now?
It will replace what is there now. There are some pictures on line showing these kenwoods vs the factory dash corner speakers and it is a night and day difference. The rest of my factory system sounds great. It just lacks the crisp highs.

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
I am more than impressed with the Alpine set up in the Overland Edition. I didn't expect it to really boom, but I was wrong. I have been doing auto-sound competitions since the late 90's and for a factory set up...this really competes with a lot of the higher end German cars for factory sound.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I ended up calling back next business day and added the Alpine system to my order. Yes it's expensive as he**. But from what all the guys on the JL forum say, it's well worth the money because it sounds amazing and it's so hard to upgrade the audio on today's touchscreen systems powered by CAN-BUS architecture. Even Crutchfield says "we don't recommend removing your factory radio unit". So that was a red flag for me that it's time to add the Alpine system and have no regrets later!
And the funny thing is... I ended up having regrets later.

jlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport-S Max Tow, Punkin Metallic
So now that you installed the new speakers, how much better addre the upper mids and trebles? How about with the top off?
Sponsored