Sponsored

Driving in sand tutorial (Outer Banks, NC)?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Born and raised on Hatteras Island lived 2 doors over from the Red and White Grocery Store down in Hatteras Village. Have driven everything from a VW bug to a 88 Malibu station wagon out there all the way up to a 2500 cummings. Just air down to about 10psi and use common sense. Now Granted I have not been down there in 5 years and the storms have had their way with the beach but still common sense and low tire pressure normally will get you by. Dont forget to buy your beach pass !!!!
‘If you’re from Hatteras you probably have heard of the Midgett’s. In looking up their long history on the island I read a story that during WW2 one of the Midgett brothers who was 14 at the time ran a shuttle service up and down the beach of Hatteras Island ferrying soldiers and sailors around as well as the locals who needed transportationoff the island.
Interestingly he would drive an old school bus and when he got stuck everyone jumped out and pushed the bus out!
No 4x4 needed!

ERMedic777

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
‘If you’re from Hatteras you probably have heard of the Midgett’s. In looking up their long history on the island I read a story that during WW2 one of the Midgett brothers who was 14 at the time ran a shuttle service up and down the beach of Hatteras Island ferrying soldiers and sailors around as well as the locals who needed transportationoff the island.
Interestingly he would drive an old school bus and when he got stuck everyone jumped out and pushed the bus out!
No 4x4 needed!
Stocky Midgett used to drive his school bus out to the point every year for his big birthday bash until the park service got there undies in a bunch lol. But yes I have heard of and know those guys. My mother and her whole side of the family still live down there.

OP
OP
usc4duke

usc4duke

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350z; 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I've always aired down to 22-24 front and 20 rear my Suburban, Mojave doesn't have a beach permit yet , but I'm sure with wider tires and less weight, I should get "float" at a couple pounds higher. When I'm fishing for a while , I don't air up everytime, and just run low air for the week. Everybody is saying the same thing, air down, have a board to jack up out of the sand, have a shovel (folding army ones are nice to pull sand when in pick mode), tow strap. Most places require shovel, board and tow straps, Delaware will ticket you without the items. Start ,stop, turn slow, everything slow! Guys with mud tires usually have to air down a lot more as the tires nature is to dig down to firm ground. Four high is fine, if your truck is working hard and getting hot you might not be low enough on air, play around with the air, you will feel when you float things get easier.....Jack
PS: do not drive in the water like all the commercials show!
I do have the mud tires so I will go,down towards the 17 psi level.
greta advice all throughout this thread!!

DavdZ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2016 Ural 2008 Mercury Mariner
I am looking for some advice on how to drive in the sand. I have never done it before with any vehicle and am curious about experiences with the gladiator. I have a rubicon and want to know the recommendations with regard to using its capabilities (e.g. lockers on or off, etc.). I will be driving on the Cape Lookout National Seashore. Planning to deflate the tires, for sure. Thanks!
I had no problem with all stock 90 Cherokee, Only stuck once, guy offered to help drive it out for me, then said he couldn't drive a standard. Got out fine.

Sponsored

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave, 2020 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Almost Retired
We take the ferry from Davis over to the banks often. Our JL has 285 (11.5") tires and we do not air down. The JL has handled every situation with ease! Slow and steady in 4Hi. The JL even pulled a Suburban with a camper out. We have not taken the Mojave over yet. Mojave is In the process of getting 12.5" tires and will probably hit Atlantic Beach first to do some surf fishing. I would think the Mojave would handle the beach sand just as well.
Jeep Gladiator Driving in sand tutorial (Outer Banks, NC)? jeep trail lighthouse

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but in planning a big excursion to the sea shore next year, I am almost positive they expressly ban driving on the dunes. I believe you have to stay on the water side of all signage. Mostly due to turtle nexts, but also to protect vegetation.

WDvl_504

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 2020 JLU Rubi
Occupation
Retired Infantryman, Contractor, Home School Principal, Counselor, and lunch lady
Vehicle Showcase
We live about an hour and 20 minutes from wilmington. we spend a LOT of time at Carolina and Kure Beaches. I may catch hell for saying this, but, we never air down. Even the staff that sells the passes at Ft Fisher will tell you "if you have a Jeep, don't bother airing down". We've had no issues with a JKU Sport, an OM, a JL Rubicon, or the MOJAVE. Actually, the only one that even made me the slightest bit nervous, was the one that was built for the sand...because somebody at Jeep decided it was a good idea to put mud terrain tires on it. At the end of the day, do what makes you comfortable. If you don't air down, there are plenty of Jeeps willing to help out an inexperienced driver...and then...there's always "Brutus"!!! (If you don't know, you'll see him).

Demetrius

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but in planning a big excursion to the sea shore next year, I am almost positive they expressly ban driving on the dunes. I believe you have to stay on the water side of all signage. Mostly due to turtle nexts, but also to protect vegetation.
You are correct. On the Cape Hatteras National Seashore you are to drive through the dunes at the designated and marked access ramps. Driving on the dunes would damage the vegetation securing the protective dunes and cause issues with nesting turtles and birds. Nearer to the Point near Frisco there is an inside road (interdunal road) that runs between Ramps 48 and 49. Otherwise, you drive your permitted ORV over the ramp, travel between the dunes and the parked vehicles near the ocean (try to stay in existing tracks), and watch for people and marked off nesting areas. As others have mentioned. the sand can get very soft and those who don't air down or have a marginal equipped off-road vehicle often get stuck. The Park Service does not assist to unstick you. You either dig and/or drive yourself out or pay for a private tow truck service or get a helping hand/tow from a fellow beach 4X4 driver. On the CHNS website https://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/orv_faq.htm you can get details on permit fees, equipment requirements, access locations and other information. All in all, with some common sense preparation you get good access to great beaches.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
It should go without saying, you need to have a shovel, air compressor, and traction boards with you. Actually those things are required by the Park Service. Water, emergency food, etc.

Are you saying traction boards are required by the Park Service?! If so, I've never heard of that anywhere - that'd be a first but, it is the government so there's that

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
The best tip I can give for driving in the sand is don't use your brakes. Also when you do come to a stop back up 5 or 10 ft before going forward again. No sharp turns and be as smooth as possible on the gas pedal.

Be extremely cautious when your tires are spinning. There is a very fine line between digging yourself in a big hole and keeping forward momentum.

I do run in 4 Lo on the beaches where I drive (assateague and Fort Fisher) just because it runs a little cooler than 4 hi. Having said that if you drive correctly on the beach 90% of the time you can get away without even putting it in 4x4. There were days when I drove up and down the beach in 2wd and didn't even realize it. I would not advise that just in case you do get into trouble.

4 Low on dry sand?! Besides airing down, speed (keeping it up) is often a factor in successfully negotiating dunes

Demetrius

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Are you saying traction boards are required by the Park Service?! If so, I've never heard of that anywhere - that'd be a first but, it is the government so there's that
The National Park Service CHNS website states a " jack support board" with no mention of traction boards. Here is the language from their FAQ

"Are there any specific permit requirements for my vehicle?
Yes. To get an ORV permit your vehicle must:

• Be registered, licensed, and insured for highway use and comply with inspection requirements for the state, country, or province where the vehicle is registered;
  • Have no more than two axles and have tires that are listed or approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation; and
  • Have a low-pressure tire gauge, shovel, jack, and jack support board.
  • Other equipment that is recommended, but not required, is a full-sized spare tire, first-aid kit, fire extinguisher, trash bag or container, flashlight (if night driving), and tow strap."

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Unless you're ripping around or doing donuts, it's really hard to drop a bead. I HAVE spun a tire on the rim, however, but only once, way below 10 psi.
You can feel totally confident with 15psi, I wouldn't worry a bit about running 10psi in the back of an empty truck.
I can confirm that donuts will pop a bead when you’re aired down to 20 psi but jumping it will keep the tires on :LOL:

Stuff you learn in your twenties in a 4Runner

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure about those beaches, but in TX the sand is like pavement- Camrys, BMWs, you name it its on the beach. Most of CA- you better have 4wd aired down and at least 6 inches of ground clearance. IF you are deserting or Duning it- 15 lbs is probably best (for ref, I run 8-10lbs on the Rubicon trail).

Tig

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
I air down to 20-25 or so, 4 wheel hi and disable traction control. Oh and make sure you have a really good shop vac at home, seems we usually bring a good amount of beach home with us:)
Jeep Gladiator Driving in sand tutorial (Outer Banks, NC)? 20200726_071506
Sponsored