Sponsored

Drove a Wrangler today... My Gladiator definitely has much looser steering.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
I doubt it. You guys trip me out. Go drive a CJ, YJ, Or TJ and report back how crappy the steering is in your gladiator. I'm sure there's a Cadillac dealer in your area that would love your business.
I hate it when I read things like this on this board in the steering subject. IT doesn't help and presumes our knowledge of Jeeps.

We have driven them.
We know what we are talking about.
My JT steering is worse than the several TJs or CJs I owned or the YJ my father in law has. Period.
The latter 3 have less than 5mm of slack from right to left. My JT has well over an inch.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I hate it when I read things like this on this board in the steering subject. IT doesn't help and presumes our knowledge of Jeeps.

We have driven them.
We know what we are talking about.
My JT steering is worse than the several TJs or CJs I owned or the YJ my father in law has. Period.
The latter 3 have less than 5mm of slack from right to left. My JT has well over an inch.
My apologies to all who are having true steering issues. My problem is with the ones who complain about how bad they drive after they buy them and say they expect more from a $40,000 vehicle, meaning no steering issues just flat out don't like how they drive. I hope they get you guys issues sorted out.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
Thank you for this magnanimous (meant in the polite way, it takes a greater man to admit misinterpretation) response. This is what the "Jeep thing" is all about.
I do agree there are some that expect Toyota 4 runner IFS handling but they are in the mix with those of us with true problems, as outlined by the brilliant 4 point list above.

Bigphe JT

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 1979 Jeep CJ7
My JT that I just purchased last week has great steering. I've owned a lot of Jeeps over the past 20 years and its as good or better than all of them. My wife has a JL now and its as good or better than it. We have 33s on both. I had two Grand Cherokees (WK2s) a 2011 and 2016 and they drove much better over all but the steering is just as good on the JT. Totally different vehicles with straight axles though. I do miss the Grand as a daily driver already but love the JT. From the description and videos I have seen of how bad the steering is on some JTs and JLs, I would not be happy and would make sure it got fixed. Bad steering is not a "Jeep Thing".

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah Jeep's not going to do nothing about it. It's only a fraction of the number they sell that has this issue. Mine drives awesome, better on 35's with the lift than my 2010 JKU drove stock. I test drove a few JLUs, before pulling the trigger on the JT and everyone I drove pretty much felt the same stock across the board. I probably in 3 months time drove 12 JLUs and maybe 3 JTs before buying mine.
The steering is looser than any vehicle I've had, but handling wise, I can take a very windy down hill run just as fast in my Gladiator as I did in my CLK350 Mercedes convertible. Now driving down the highway, I can't let my attention wander the way I could with other cars because it does wander in it's lane.

Sponsored

Rayzzz

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Drove my Gladiator yesterday with my daughter with me and I heard her say woe a couple of times because I was going through some S turns and was having a hard time keeping it out of a ditch. I didn't tell her about the bad steering box I have because I didn't want her to worry when she was with me. If I could have my 2004 Jeep Rubicon back I would be back driving it in second. Jeep Cares I don't think so because my dealer has no fix

OP
OP
surge101

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Drove my Gladiator yesterday with my daughter with me and I heard her say woe a couple of times because I was going through some S turns and was having a hard time keeping it out of a ditch. I didn't tell her about the bad steering box I have because I didn't want her to worry when she was with me. If I could have my 2004 Jeep Rubicon back I would be back driving it in second. Jeep Cares I don't think so because my dealer has no fix
Yeah, I hate to say it, but I bought my last vehicle brand new as well and drove it for almost seven years before selling it to buy the Gladiator. In that time I had to bring it into the dealer one time, which was three years after I bought the car and they replaced a $2,000 part, no questions asked, because it was a known issue with the cars. In 6 months of owning the Gladiator, I've already had to bring it into the dealer multiple times and the steering issues haven't been addressed at all. (In fact, instead the dealer damaged my truck, but that's not Jeep's fault) I want to love this truck, but every time I drive another vehicle (including other Jeeps) I tend to just miss my old vehicle because It's annoying to have something so essential to be messed up out of the factory with no solution.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Hey, jeepcares, every Gladiator should drive at least as well as mine. What does it take to get this resolved?

My commute to work yesterday.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Yeah, that's how mine drives. It's amazing how that electronic steering keeps it straight. Most amazing when towing a trailer. I've gone half a mile hands free.

I wonder if there's any visible thing we could compare between good and bad Gladiators? A serial number? Part number change?

totomojo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
This will probably appear as my first post here. I'm not a troll. I joined this and a couple other jeep sites to investigate the Gladiator. I've test driven them three times and almost pulled the trigger in April on a Rubicon but couldn't get past the wandering steering. 80% of my driving would be getting to the spots I want to explore and I would not want that part to be so tedious that it discourages me from getting to the fun 20. At heart I'm a lazy highway driver.

This is a really good forum. I've found a lot of good discussion about aftermarket stabilizers, sector shaft braces, etc. I plan to take another test drive from a different dealer and vehicle this coming week. If the steering again feels sloppy then I'm probably out. I had a 2017 Jeep Cherokee (yeah. yeah. that's not a jeep) and avoided the horrendous transmission problems those had when they first came out but it gives me caution about things FCA.

I'm weighing in on this issue primarily in case there are "Jeep Cares" folks who monitor this forum so they will know that some potential customers look at this as a deal breaker.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
At heart I'm a lazy highway driver.
Me too, 100%! That's one reason I love the adaptive cruise. I did a road trip with a trailer a week into owning it, and it was SO relaxed and smooth compared to my JK. I *think* the problems happen up front? Or do they creep in later? Can you tell from a test drive if your particular Gladiator will have a problem?

totomojo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
I *think* the problems happen up front? Or do they creep in later? Can you tell from a test drive if your particular Gladiator will have a problem?
It's not clear why it is happening, at least from what I've read, so I suppose it could develop later but it seems to be something that happens from the get go. So, you know right away

REDJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2015 JK
Just wondering - has anyone with this issue reported it to the NHSTA? If it is really as bad as some are indicating maybe you might want to let them know. The NHSTA has a form you fill out and the website says all safety complaints are reviewed and some may even lead to recalls...

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Just wondering - has anyone with this issue reported it to the NHSTA? If it is really as bad as some are indicating maybe you might want to let them know. The NHSTA has a form you fill out and the website says all safety complaints are reviewed and some may even lead to recalls...
When I filed the complaint with them back in November there were only 18 others for the same thing.

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I really wish one of the bigger reviewers like Car& Driver would have gotten a bum steering box in their review ride....would they chalk up the horrendous steering to 'just a Jeep thing'? Maybe it would help draw attention to the problem.
Sponsored