Sponsored

Drove a Wrangler today... My Gladiator definitely has much looser steering.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I have had many a Jeep going fact to my first, a 77 CJ7 with a 4.2 and 3 speed. My JT drives great. Just like any other truck or SUV. While deciding on buying one I drove a sport that drove fine to me and a Rubicon that was horrible. It had a huge dead spot. So I can say I have experienced both so I believe the complaints. It isn't a "Jeep" thing as none of my others have ever driven that way including my TJ on 37s. There is a lot of discussion on this but I'm not sure anyone has solved it. The decision tree you mention would be reliant on the manufacturer or dealer to acknowledge the issue and agree to replace parts until the problem was solved which I don't think has happened. I also wonder if the bad part is being replaced with a bad part. We know parts availability has been an issue leading up to now and I'm sure the quarantine isn't going to help. Maybe if someone with a known good one and a known bad one swapped parts until it was identified for sure. I'm sure we will track it down eventually but for now we have a good bit working against us.
Thank you. I'll own my dismissal of this as a driver error only and apologize. I'll also say that I've seen many drivers who do not know how to operate their vehicles optimally. I am one. Anyone who has witnessed a superb driver knows what I am talking about. Some people are better drivers. Period. And, as far as solutions, what I read is more like human error. The mechanic fails to identify the problem. The fix is not followed through until solution. The driver settles for less than solution. The company fails to respond to granularity of product failure with an aggressive fix. What is absolutely bizarre is this is a steering issue!!!
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
When I first picked up my JT I thought it drove like a dream. No issues at all. A few weeks later I had the Mopar 2 inch lift installed and instead of driving “better than stock” the first time I drove it at highway speeds I was spooked the first gust of wind that hit me. The first time I had to do a quick lane change to avoid a car that cut me off, I finally admitted that something wasn’t right.

I had already read up on the steering issues and was in total denial about it to the point I never told anyone or posted on the board. I brought it up with my dealer and they hadn’t heard about it yet, but knew about the JL complaints. Either way...dealership was great about things and paid forthe Fox Stabilizer and free installation for me and the ride was ”back to stock” for me. It drove for me like it did when I first test drove (a different Gladiator) a JT and when I picked this one up.

No problems with it now. When there were though...what I told my dealer was it drove and steered worse then the cube vans I drove to work and felt as bad and white knuckled when a gust of wind hit the side of my work trucks on a really bad day.

I know it’s not the topic here...but in 9 years of driving the flat windshield on the trucks in the photos, I’ve never had a stone chip or crack yet...

B1239AFC-042D-400C-88D4-7C8CD07BD192.jpeg
Ok so it drove great until you had the lift put on:idea:

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
Ok so it drove great until you had the lift put on:idea:
Yes...that’s another reason why I didn’t bring it up because I also thought it may have been unrelated to the steering issues others have had because mine happened after the lift.

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to do it but I'm calling BS on that. Your jeep may be driving bad, but I own a YJ and XJ and JK and my Gladiator drives 10 times better than any of those. Picture means nothing
Yeah you have an actual problem. I drive mine one fingered, or thumbed. It has a 2.5 in lift with 35's and no stabilizer. It's a bit squishier than my JKU with a stabilizer, but nothing like the death wobble video above. I'd get that to your dealer ASAP.

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
That's funny. This is probably my eighth solid front axle Jeep, probably my twelfth solid front axle vehicle total. Ranging from little stock XJs to one ton rock crawlers. The steering on my JT has, no exaggeration, worse steering feedback than my YJ did with full hydro steering on 40s and Dana 60s.

My dealer knows it's a problem and completely agrees. I've had new steering boxes put in and most recently new tie rod assemblies. Something is definitely wrong and no one can figure out why. Wife and I drove down to the coast over the weekend with our return home going through the national forest (which consists of super long, straight roads) at about 70 mph. I was completely wiped out when we got home with the amount of input I had to give the wheel just to stay straight.

5C840F65-F39E-4EE6-89B9-13E32E292C57.gif
That's funny. This is probably my eighth solid front axle Jeep, probably my twelfth solid front axle vehicle total. Ranging from little stock XJs to one ton rock crawlers. The steering on my JT has, no exaggeration, worse steering feedback than my YJ did with full hydro steering on 40s and Dana 60s.

My dealer knows it's a problem and completely agrees. I've had new steering boxes put in and most recently new tie rod assemblies. Something is definitely wrong and no one can figure out why. Wife and I drove down to the coast over the weekend with our return home going through the national forest (which consists of super long, straight roads) at about 70 mph. I was completely wiped out when we got home with the amount of input I had to give the wheel just to stay straight.

5C840F65-F39E-4EE6-89B9-13E32E292C57.gif
Hey @spazzyfry123 , correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't really need to be jerking the wheel back and forth like that constantly to drive straight right? Mine is very similar to yours, but unfortunately my dealer told me it's normal especially when jerking the wheel like that. He seemed to have a point because if I moved my wheel slowly half an inch either directions it'll respond to it. The response does seem very slow tho.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I've avoided this thread type for years variously. Glad to find two old timers no offense who both drove old Jeeps but who disagree on whether the new jeep steering is a thing. So my 97 two door was SO much better than the CJ6 I learned on. 97 was like a Cadillac. Loudly LA Woman on LA freeways at 90 and me driving just the same as ole one finger up there. That was heavenly. So here is my question, not opening wwIIII, just asking since I haven't driven a loose steerer. I did have death wobble in the Comanche but that was wheel balance. That's a real thing, and a problem, and it has a solution. Question, if loose steering's a thing, why isn't there a found solution set? Or is there and people are ignorant of such? Shouldn't there be a decision tree? (If yes go to step six, replace part, solved, etc). I guess I'm asking why is it still a thing, if it's a real thing? Makes no sense to me, which is why I've stayed away from this topic. I figured they just never drove a Jeep before. Restated: is there a solution to the problem, or is there no solution because it is not a problem? Thoughts?
This is my fourth Jeep. My last was a JKU Rubicon. All SFA. I have made mine better, but it’s still not even as good as my Rubicon was.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
I hate to do it but I'm calling BS on that. Your jeep may be driving bad, but I own a YJ and XJ and JK and my Gladiator drives 10 times better than any of those. Picture means nothing
Thats a tire issue!

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
as mentioned check the bolts. had 2 different JT's with loose or missing sway bar bolts on passenger side. Dont know if we blame the dealer when the lifts were put in but had to pull and add a little locktite.

j2paulino

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
PTA
This is my first Jeep as well and I bought it knowing that the steering wasn’t going to be what I was used to. Weighing the pros and cons I bought it knowing that the aftermarket was there to help with the synergy sector shaft brace. I watched a video showing the slop in the stock steering and then it was fine with the brace installed so I’ll eventually get it and get it installed, but my steering isn’t as bad as I was expecting so I’m leaving it alone for now.
I’m going to do a fox steering stabilizer as well, but I’m waiting till I get the rest how I like it so that it doesn’t hide any other issues.
I’m running a 2.5” EVO lift on 37s and my steering isn’t the greatest, but I was expecting it. I will probably install the Synergy Brace. I may put one on my 2012 JK on 35s with just a Teraflex leveling kit as well.

Bob502000

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Long story short, my jeep had some steering noise, brought it in, they damaged the truck, so now it's getting repaired and I have a Wrangler as a loaner.

So while my initial steering complaint was different to the loose steering issue a lot have had, I have definitely noticed loose steering with my truck, but not to the extent that a lot of others have reported. I read a lot of people saying that's just how jeeps are and stuff like that, and since this is my first jeep, I took their word for it. Today, I got a Wrangler for a rental, and the wrangler 100% has a much more responsive steering wheel. It's night and day better than my Gladiator. The wrangler feels how I thought steering should feel without any big dead zones. So has anyone gotten a repair? I already have a different steering issue that they cant seem to fix, but what about this? Is there a solution?
Mine came with 37s and a mopar lift but as far as I am concerned the first thing a person should do is start replacing the 3 steering bars on the front end, track bar, drag link, and tie rod. I haven't done the tie rod yet but the other 2 made a big difference. Just my opinion. I also had death wobble and it fixed that as well.

Sponsored

REDJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2015 JK
This JT is my first Jeep and I am surprised at the wander in the steering. Mine did come with MTs which I do slightly blame. I have the Fox steering stabilizer on order hoping that will dampen the wander slightly.
If what you are saying is true...you bought a new vehicle with some major problems.

I currently own 2015 Rubicon JKU. I just bought a new JT Sport S for the wife. Her JT steers perfectly - rock solid, noticeably better than my Rubicon. The JT has oversized tires along with a new set of Outlaw wheels. I've also added a 1.5" TeraFlex leveling kit. It still steers/acts perfectly fine -just like the day we drove off the lot. The steering isn't loose, no wobble, no wandering, no dead spots etc., etc.. The JT steers as it should. IMO if someone has to add aftermarket parts to their new vehicle just to make it perform "properly" that vehicle has some significant problems that should be addressed under warranty. Hopefully, your dealership can get it fixed properly.

I should add that after I installed the 1.5" leveling kit, I did get an alignment per the kit's instructions.

Last edited:

kdfhuey

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_20200429_183200.jpg

Not to rub it in, but mine is lifted 2.5 in on 35 inch tires and it drives great even with one finger. Since you like pictures
Dude you don’t have to act like that. He doesn’t have your Jeep. I’m happy yours doesn’t have issues but many other have. You insulting people doesn’t do anything.

kdfhuey

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Every vehicle has issues. The reason you don't hear about most of them is because with a Jeep, people with the problem jump on a forum like this to either look for a solution or rant and complain. A small fraction of what they sell have the issues that is why your not going to get a recall or get them to increase QC.
I don’t think he was ranting. Guess what? This is a Jeep Gladiator forum, it’s the appropriate place to bring up issues. The old adage if you have nothing nice to say don’t say anything at all would probably be appropriate here.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think he was ranting. Guess what? This is a Jeep Gladiator forum, it’s the appropriate place to bring up issues. The old adage if you have nothing nice to say don’t say anything at all would probably be appropriate here.
As you said, it's a forum so I can say what I want.