Sponsored

Engine Break-in Oil Filter Metal Shavings

akneppers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
So I just changed the filter in my Jeep with about 1500 miles on it. Noticed that there seemed to be a fair amount of metal shavings that were caught, see attached pictures. Just wanted to make sure it was normal for the Pentastar V6 for the first filter change or if I should be worried?

View attachment 70227

16492032-50C8-42E2-BCA8-CE5702038FC4.jpeg

90F9740A-E5BB-47AF-88B5-543612E3213D.jpeg

5AF77C32-10BE-4AD8-9D92-2D7F72C4C0A5.jpeg

DE1D4B91-66F7-444F-9B65-012DF4904C78.jpeg

5FEF9B7F-2CF3-48BA-AF64-8C5E2455BAFF.jpeg

AB91D7D5-E9B5-47B7-B3DF-4B2FBE22E789.jpeg

285CB53E-2969-4A9F-AD46-80BA56DE6F85.jpeg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
Following this. I just did my first oil change at 1500 miles also. I did not notice any shavings on my oil filter. But I didn't disassemble it like you did. I looked it over quick, opened a few pleats. Saw nothing, nothing looked unusual.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I wouldn't be concerned -- that's why we have filters. Aircraft owners/mechanics check their filters at every change and what you have there is pretty typical throughout the life of the engine, with the exception of that one largish curly burr. That one looks like a manufacturing remnant.

Auto engines with smaller pistons and tighter tolerances won't show as many metal particles as a norm, so be sure to check your next filter change and I bet it will be improved. If it's worse, then there might be some concern.

Edit: If you want more peace of mind, you can have oil analysis done as a lot of aircraft owners elect to do. I use Blackstone labs and they are great at interpreting what metals (suspended in the oil) to expect as an engine breaks in and ages. If you still have the used oil, it's beneficial if they can see that first baseline sample. If not, no big deal, maybe submit a sample from your next change.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I wouldn't be concerned -- that's why we have filters. Aircraft owners/mechanics check their filters at every change and what you have there is pretty typical throughout the life of the engine, with the exception of that one largish curly burr. That one looks like a manufacturing remnant.

Auto engines with smaller pistons and tighter tolerances won't show as many metal particles as a norm, so be sure to check your next filter change and I bet it will be improved. If it's worse, then there might be some concern.

Edit: If you want more peace of mind, you can have oil analysis done as a lot of aircraft owners elect to do. I use Blackstone labs and they are great at interpreting what metals (suspended in the oil) to expect as an engine breaks in and ages. If you still have the used oil, it's beneficial if they can see that first baseline sample. If not, no big deal, maybe submit a sample from your next change.
FYI here’s my oil analysis done at the first oil change at ~2200 miles...

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/first-oil-change-analysis.24475/

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)

Sponsored

OP
OP

akneppers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks for the replies, I wasn't super worried as I've heard about metal shavings during the break-in of the engine. Just seemed like a good bit, although the engine is made in Mexico and FCA isnt exactly known for their quality control in the industry.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Awesome. I didn't even think to search the forum to see if other's did analysis on their Jeeps. I'm wondering if you have any concerns about the quick drain valve hanging up when off-road?
I don’t do any rock crawling so I’m not too worried. I have them on all our vehicles except the Porsche’s which are quite low to the ground and have never had an issue.

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 TJ, 2017 Honda CRF250L
Occupation
Automotive Product Quality Engineer
Looks normal for a new engine. I recently rebuilt the LS1 in my C5 Corvette and I cut open the oil filter after each oil change. (I changed the oil several times in first 2500 miles). Not uncommon to see small metal shavings as the rings seat, etc. Should be reduced in future oil changes.

I also use Blackstone for oil analysis. Probably not needed every time, but doing one every so often lets you build up a history to know what's normal and what's not.

donaldus

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1974 VW
Occupation
Driver
Changed my oil (Amsoil 0/40) @ 967 Covidvirus miles while installing throttle body spacer and MBRP 2.5 Cat-Back (it’s more complicated than the youtube video...get out the sawsall!). Noticed the drain plug was not magnetic, so I stacked some magnets close to the fumoto plug I also installed. A full day for this 70 year old!

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
I can offer you insight on engine building. I have built 500 hp v8s and a 500hp turbo 4 cylinder. After the intitial break in its normal to see a little metal as you can only get the oil galleries so clean. This to me looks absolutely fine compared to my break in oil filter engines I have personally built.

NOTE: The biggest thing you need to worry about is brass, not bright metal. Brass means your bushing are getting eaten alive and or your thrust bearing on the crank is under load due to a bad transmission install on the rear of the crank.

Blackstone labs can tell you if bearing material, metalurgy, and oil life based on lab results. I wouldnt worry about it on a stock warranty engine.

Moral of the story, some metal is normal, if you see bronze or copper colored material you should worry.

CrazyIvan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, BMW R1100RT, Ducati 900SS SP
Occupation
Retired

I installed to a magnetic drain plug on first oil change. A bit more insurance and It collects particles too small for the filter. You will find a small amount of metallic "dust" on it when you do your oil change. This is normal wear.
Sponsored