Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Your comments and naysaying completely ignore that Jeep already offers this option on the wrangler. 4.56 on the auto with XR and 4.88 on the manual as a standalone option.

A little taller gear even with just the stock tire size would be perfectly driveable as is, and for many would provide a worthwhile trade off of little bit more jump in its step off the line and dealing with hills, etc. for maybe just a minimal highway mileage penalty. Obviously once someone puts 34/35ā€ tires the benefits are pretty self evident.

To me, offering a check the box 4.56 option on the auto in the gladiator makes a lot of sense (hell, many would love the full blown XR package, but one can dream of just the gear upgrade as a consolation). Thinking for the rubi/mojave and max tow crowd, where if you bump up in tire size just to 34/35s (as not a small number of owners actually do) the stock 4.10s are a little bit tall, but it is tough to justify the aftermarket expense and hassle just to jump up to 4.56.
So? You are trying to compare a WRANGLER to a pickup? A very limited market - a market where most - and I mean MOST - buy because it's a truck, and can be a daily driver.
You are totally ignoring the fact that the markets for each are different, and that even dealers have told me most people buy these and never modify them beyond some accessories.
Wrangler vs. Gladiator? Really? Look at the sales numbers- Wrangler can do it, it's sold in larger numbers to a greater world market. Wranglers are everywhere - Korea, Israel, the EU and many other places. Gladiator - not so much.

Some max tow people who jump tire sizes to extremes and regear have this weird belief that they don't lose towing numbers or payload numbers, so they are going in with blinders and ear plugs. Their problem.

I'm not ignoring anything - I'm thinking beyond my own nose and my own world, to the greater world market, sales numbers and my knowledge of marketing and manufacturing. You are thinking only by comparing what you think should happen- based on a different product and market. A much more narrow view.
I've been in this and been around a while.
(and to the 4.10 being a little tall for 35s? Check the forums - a lot of people here have done that and have no complaints)
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
100% agree. 4.10s are serviceable and not worth the trouble to mess with (cost, hassle, warranty, etc) if just going with 35ā€ or smaller tires. But, I am sure the market is there of people who would gladly pay the up charge from the factory to start with 4.56s.
You are ignoring CAFE............... and other factors. Good luck with that.

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
So? You are trying to compare a WRANGLER to a pickup? A very limited market - a market where most - and I mean MOST - buy because it's a truck, and can be a daily driver.
You are totally ignoring the fact that the markets for each are different, and that even dealers have told me most people buy these and never modify them beyond some accessories.
Wrangler vs. Gladiator? Really? Look at the sales numbers- Wrangler can do it, it's sold in larger numbers to a greater world market. Wranglers are everywhere - Korea, Israel, the EU and many other places. Gladiator - not so much.

Some max tow people who jump tire sizes to extremes and regear have this weird belief that they don't lose towing numbers or payload numbers, so they are going in with blinders and ear plugs. Their problem.

I'm not ignoring anything - I'm thinking beyond my own nose and my own world, to the greater world market, sales numbers and my knowledge of marketing and manufacturing. You are thinking only by comparing what you think should happen- based on a different product and market. A much more narrow view.
I've been in this and been around a while.
(and to the 4.10 being a little tall for 35s? Check the forums - a lot of people here have done that and have no complaints)
Yes I am comparing the wrangler to the gladiator. They are made on the same assembly line and share most other parts. Shorter gears are good on a pickup too for more than just big tires.

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
I am not. If they would even have to, build it into the cost of the offset into the premium of the option. For the consumer, would still come way ahead bs doing it themselves.

rymanrph

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JT Rubicon
I think we can all agree that if they could make money doing it, they probably would have done so already. Unfortunately, there are a slew of considerations to make that most people aren't aware of. I'd like to buy a Moab version that has the look of the Rubicon without some of the hardware (similar to what was offered on the JL), but I'm sure most people like me will still buy a Willys or pay more for the Rubicon. I'd like the new hurricane engine, but I doubt I'd be willing to pay for it since the price on these things keep going up.

Sponsored

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I am not. If they would even have to, build it into the cost of the offset into the premium of the option. For the consumer, would still come way ahead bs doing it themselves.
I might be taking what you are saying and going on a separate goat pathā€¦.
I definitely think that the North American car market is going to be transitioning to what most of the rest of the world is using. You pay for what you get. I lived in Europe for almost 10 years, and you will not find 5-10+ acre car lots like we have here. They are almost exclusively built to order. And the ordering combinations get interesting.
Honestlyā€¦. I would love to be able to order a vehicle exactly how I want it. Price would go up for someā€¦. But for others it would go down.
We ordered our jtrd and the dealer was really surprised at our option choicesā€¦ no adaptive cruise control, no crash mitigation, but opted for brown leather, cold weather package, led lighting, color matched top and fenders, and a couple other small oddities. šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø Also only waited 45ish days from order to delivery in the PNW- which at the time same dealer had vehicles taking 3+ months to arriveā€¦ šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø

Base, diesel, brown leather, rubicon transfer case done. In a perfect world. Keep the sway bar, keep the lockers, and the extraā€¦ we are swapping axles, lifting, and changing sway bars anywaysā€¦..

The only reason right now to order a relatively fully loaded package is the way our blue book system works and any potential resale later.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Basically looking like the same car which is odd for 23. I guess we will know on the 15th.
Thatā€™s how itā€™s been since ā€˜20 just carry overs

Dakota Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Gladiator Willys 3.0 Eco Diesel
Occupation
Pro Snipe Hunter
Just to throw my two cents in here as a VERY happy eco diesel owner (ā€˜21 Willyā€™s) for the most part, Iā€™d take the Hurricane SO or HO in a heartbeat if/when offered.

The biggest reason would just be plain ease of fueling up. Knowing that diesel out of the pump is lacking many properties by design due to emissions standards, I add a fuel additive year round. This has a small PITA factor that I deal with for the enjoyable and noticeable difference I get driving everyday over the current NA gas engineā€¦but one Iā€™d cut out if possible.

Second reason being I live in a cold climate, and Iā€™d love to not worry about DEF and Diesel gelling (sp?) or freezing.

The Hurricane would give me all the torque and giddy up without the PITA of diesel.

As the eco diesel was a $4000 upgrade, Iā€™m guessing Iā€™d pay around same or less (I think my 3.5L eco boost Iā€™m my Fordā€™s weā€™re only $2,500 options).

Given I always run 91 octane in my turbo or super charged engines, I donā€™t really think the fuel cost is ever going to be something that will make a huge difference either.

I admittedly donā€™t do a lot of technical off roading, so not sure what consequences going from eco diesel to Hurricane would entail.

Gottaā€™ go, wife is opening last credit card statement, there may be some Jeep related explanations required. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

OP
OP

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
Just to throw my two cents in here as a VERY happy eco diesel owner (ā€˜21 Willyā€™s) for the most part, Iā€™d take the Hurricane SO or HO in a heartbeat if/when offered.

The biggest reason would just be plain ease of fueling up. Knowing that diesel out of the pump is lacking many properties by design due to emissions standards, I add a fuel additive year round. This has a small PITA factor that I deal with for the enjoyable and noticeable difference I get driving everyday over the current NA gas engineā€¦but one Iā€™d cut out if possible.

Second reason being I live in a cold climate, and Iā€™d love to not worry about DEF and Diesel gelling (sp?) or freezing.

The Hurricane would give me all the torque and giddy up without the PITA of diesel.

As the eco diesel was a $4000 upgrade, Iā€™m guessing Iā€™d pay around same or less (I think my 3.5L eco boost Iā€™m my Fordā€™s weā€™re only $2,500 options).

Given I always run 91 octane in my turbo or super charged engines, I donā€™t really think the fuel cost is ever going to be something that will make a huge difference either.

I admittedly donā€™t do a lot of technical off roading, so not sure what consequences going from eco diesel to Hurricane would entail.

Gottaā€™ go, wife is opening last credit card statement, there may be some Jeep related explanations required. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
I am not a fan of turbo's but I would jump in a second for the I6. I feel the same about the gas, I mean unless i'm commuting an hour daily the difference is really so minimum that its not even a factor.
Sponsored