Engine options for 2023

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I realize my comment isn't in the context of a Gladiator, but it is in relation to another model. My wife is about 8 months away from upgrading her current Jeep (we're keeping it) to the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. We've driven it, love it and are excited for the new member to our Jeep family. Unfortunately, we wanted ours configured with the Hemi, which is not an option for 2023. The ONLY option is the 4xe. Our conundrum now is to just wait the 8 months like we wanted and get the 4xe OR order a 2022 now and get the Hemi. Feels like we're moving in the direction of less engine options as opposed to more. Another option we cannot get on the 2023 is the front passenger infotainment screen. That was short lived!
Sponsored

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Or they could simply offer an optional diff gear ratio or two. Much of the benefit w/o the certification requirements.
That doesn't give you more HP or torque or mpg......... sure, it would make those happy who want to put on tall tires, but they can go do and pay for that based on the gears THEY want for their tires.
No matter what extra option was offered for ratio, people wouldn't be happy because they'd want a bit lower, or maybe not so low....

Agree 100% on this. Really seems like a no brainer.
Then you aren't familiar with automotive/truck manufacturing - and the fact that Jeep has to predict the sales and buy the differentials ready to go with the gears in them. Jeep doesn't build the axle assemblies.
Not sure how offering more ratios would be a no-brainer. It would really complicate things - for Jeep as far as ordering because they predict and order/contract for such things months if not a year or so into the future. If what they choose fails..... then what? Who chooses? How many different choices?
Easy money? Hardly. Dana would have to make the different gear choices, more prep for them, after Jeep figures out what the public is going to buy. It would increase the price of the truck for the vast majority, and only make a few happier - and some of those would still complain because it wasn't the right ratio for them.

You really need to keep in mind, also - that in the grand scheme of things - you are one of very few who actually DO change gear ratios. Don't go by this forum - most buy them and drive them. So you are asking for something that only you and a few others would bother with, especially for a Gladiator - that's sold more as a light truck that happens to do off-road very well.
Even among Wrangler buyers - contrary to what the forums might suggest, those that re-gear aren't even 1/3 of buyers. So Jeep is supposed to complicate things and make it more expensive for a fraction of all buyers - and whatever they choose won't be right in your mind.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Wrangler is not getting a mid cycle refresh this time around. It won’t need it. They’ll sprinkle in small iterative changes like uconnect and maybe a seat change to compete with bronco but that’s about it is my guess.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is that a 360?
It's likely a 401. Same engine, different bore and stroke.
The 401 was an optional engine for the J-series pickups and Wagoneers in the 70s.
That's where the AMC guys have been finding their 401s lately - old Jeeps though most were the 360. But the 360 is solid - my own dynos at about 377 hp.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
My ‘77 Wagoneer, and my ‘71 J4000 were 360s.
Good motors.
I still have the J4000: a project waiting to happen.

Kevin

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Really hoping for some engine options for 2023. Been holding off on upgrading thinking we may get the inline 6 or some other type of engine upgrade. Any ideas or rumors out there?
440 tq from the diesel isn’t enough??

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
Your comments and naysaying completely ignore that Jeep already offers this option on the wrangler. 4.56 on the auto with XR and 4.88 on the manual as a standalone option.

A little taller gear even with just the stock tire size would be perfectly driveable as is, and for many would provide a worthwhile trade off of little bit more jump in its step off the line and dealing with hills, etc. for maybe just a minimal highway mileage penalty. Obviously once someone puts 34/35” tires the benefits are pretty self evident.

To me, offering a check the box 4.56 option on the auto in the gladiator makes a lot of sense (hell, many would love the full blown XR package, but one can dream of just the gear upgrade as a consolation). Thinking for the rubi/mojave and max tow crowd, where if you bump up in tire size just to 34/35s (as not a small number of owners actually do) the stock 4.10s are a little bit tall, but it is tough to justify the aftermarket expense and hassle just to jump up to 4.56.

rymanrph

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JT Rubicon
Your comments and naysaying completely ignore that Jeep already offers this option on the wrangler. 4.56 on the auto with XR and 4.88 on the manual as a standalone option.

A little taller gear even with just the stock tire size would be perfectly driveable as is, and for many would provide a worthwhile trade off of little bit more jump in its step off the line and dealing with hills, etc. for maybe just a minimal highway mileage penalty. Obviously once someone puts 34/35” tires the benefits are pretty self evident.

To me, offering a check the box 4.56 option on the auto in the gladiator makes a lot of sense (hell, many would love the full blown XR package, but one can dream of just the gear upgrade as a consolation). Thinking for the rubi/mojave and max tow crowd, where if you bump up in tire size just to 34/35s (as not a small number of owners actually do) the stock 4.10s are a little bit tall, but it is tough to justify the aftermarket expense and hassle just to jump up to 4.56.
That's a reason many consider the Max Tow, Rubicon, and Mojave. The 4.10s come standard. I wouldn't pick a trim based on one option alone, but the cost to regear in the aftermarket is pretty significant. 4.10s aren't ideal for those looking to upgrade to 35s, but are manageable.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Many of us prefer to skip diesel. Contrary to what some prefer it's not perfect and has drawbacks.
No doubt. EGR system, DPF, DEF, SCR? (Not 100% on that last one…) I could see why…
But you are also very informed with the issues on the 3.6 as shown in another thread 🍺

My comment was based around the in line and it’s ability to produce torque.
I think folks want that 4.0 reliability… but frankly it’ll be surprised if it ever happens again due to its inefficiency (mpg wise)- emissions standards are too high and getting worse. Don’t get me wrong, a GOOD in line 4, 5 or 6 cylinder with a sequential turbo, would be sweet.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No doubt. EGR system, DPF, DEF, SCR? (Not 100% on that last one…) I could see why…
But you are also very informed with the issues on the 3.6 as shown in another thread 🍺

My comment was based around the in line and it’s ability to produce torque.
I think folks want that 4.0 reliability… but frankly it’ll be surprised if it ever happens again due to its inefficiency (mpg wise)- emissions standards are too high and getting worse. Don’t get me wrong, a GOOD in line 4, 5 or 6 cylinder with a sequential turbo, would be sweet.
And I hope you see, I'm not a "diesel hater"......... just that they are a solution for some, not for all, and they'd not fit my finances for sure. (I've owned diesel equipment, granted, in the 80s, when they were simple and reliable, and I saw the nasty versions GM had in trucks when they tried to convert gas engines, so to speak - today's diesels are much cleaner and are built to be diesels)

Yeah, I wish I could have a 4.0 that cranked out the sort of torque and HP we see today in lesser displacements but it ain't gonna happen.

A person has to be open and not prejudiced in their choices - weight the pros and cons, figure the economics of it, ignore the extremes on either side (haters/lovers).

If I stepped up a notch in my lawn tractor - diesel would be an option (our grass here for some reason really taxes even a 25 hp fuel injected Kawasaki twin). I used to buy oil by the 55 gallon drum and pump it into jugs for my oil changes. Oddly, for some reason, I still have one of those drum pumps hanging in my garage loft. Maybe a reminder of days gone by?
My utility tractor was gas - I really wish it had been diesel - I nearly wore that poor engine out, and it was lacking low end grunt.

But for my truck(s) - gas for me.
I'm taking my 2020 JT 3.6 with all but 27,000 miles on it in next week and picking up my 2022 3.6 gas. For my purposes, and where I live, and my finances - it's a better fit. If I was still on the farm? hmmmm....... I might get that pros and cons chart back out.

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
That's a reason many consider the Max Tow, Rubicon, and Mojave. The 4.10s come standard. I wouldn't pick a trim based on one option alone, but the cost to regear in the aftermarket is pretty significant. 4.10s aren't ideal for those looking to upgrade to 35s, but are manageable.
100% agree. 4.10s are serviceable and not worth the trouble to mess with (cost, hassle, warranty, etc) if just going with 35” or smaller tires. But, I am sure the market is there of people who would gladly pay the up charge from the factory to start with 4.56s.
Sponsored