Sponsored

Factory V8

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked up a rental GC with the 3.6. The first few miles driving home at hwy speeds, I was getting 25 mpg. My brick-like Gladi won't do that.
Sponsored

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator; '74 PowerWagon; '86 Taco C-frame
Occupation
Drugs
Just like V12's and V10's, V8's are pretty much obsolete and a thing of the past. Heavy and poor fuel mileage. Technology has replaced them with the lighter and more efficient V6's. Horsepower to weight ratio is why even Indy cars have dumped most V6's which are winning more than ever against the obsolete V8's. Embracing V8's in this day and age is like embracing a PDA over a smart phone, Yeah it looks cool and sounds cool, but when Electric cars are blowing the doors off V8's it does make you scratch your head. Don't get me wrong, I still like gas engines more than electric motors, but if you think about it, The 1990 Ford 5.0 had 195 HP and the new Turbo 2.0 litre Jeep engine is kicking out 233hp. I'll take technology of today over 30 years ago, or even 5 years ago.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a30625/pentastar-turbo-hemi-pricing/
All Rangers will have a 270-horsepower, turbocharged 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine that puts out 310 pounds-feet of torque
FCA's "MDS" (Multi Displacement System) will keep the v8's relevant and in my opinion, desirable as long as gas engines are still being put in vehicles.

The v6 doesn't have MDS and therefore we are stuck firing on all cylinders even if they aren't needed. If the gladiator got the MDS system with a v8, I would argue the v8 would likely get better gas mileage. You can see examples of this in other RAM trucks with v6 vs v8 engines and the TFL youtube channel has documented this multiple times across all manufacturers. The v8 doesn't have to work as hard to lug that weight around and when coupled with MDS on the highway can make impressive mpg improvements.

I think the "obsolescence" is just based on what the market is willing to bear. The v8's are not put into everything, regardless of the actual raw material cost of a v8 vs the v6, the v6 will be considerably cheaper to make. The v6 has such a huge presence across the lineup, the economy of scale on it means the manufacturer needs to put the v6 into everything first for the base edition. Unfortunately, its not always the best choice for the consumer.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
FCA's "MDS" (Multi Displacement System) will keep the v8's relevant and in my opinion, desirable as long as gas engines are still being put in vehicles.

The v6 doesn't have MDS and therefore we are stuck firing on all cylinders even if they aren't needed. If the gladiator got the MDS system with a v8, I would argue the v8 would likely get better gas mileage. You can see examples of this in other RAM trucks with v6 vs v8 engines and the TFL youtube channel has documented this multiple times across all manufacturers. The v8 doesn't have to work as hard to lug that weight around and when coupled with MDS on the highway can make impressive mpg improvements.

I think the "obsolescence" is just based on what the market is willing to bear. The v8's are not put into everything, regardless of the actual raw material cost of a v8 vs the v6, the v6 will be considerably cheaper to make. The v6 has such a huge presence across the lineup, the economy of scale on it means the manufacturer needs to put the v6 into everything first for the base edition. Unfortunately, its not always the best choice for the consumer.
Good education, thank you!

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
V8's are here to stay for a long long while. Especially in trucks and SUV's. Ford would have discontinued the coyote 5.0 by now if the 3.5 Ecoboost wasn't such a fuel pig under boost. And there lies the problem. A V6 isn't going to get V8 levels of power and torque without boost. Under boost fuel efficiency goes right down the shitter.

So not only is the V8 a simpler design, less moving parts, less to break and maintain, it gets better fuel efficiency under load than a boosted V6.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked up a rental GC with the 3.6. The first few miles driving home at hwy speeds, I was getting 25 mpg. My brick-like Gladi won't do that.
My stock JT Sport with Max Tow was 24 MPG on a 1000 mile road trip at around 5000 miles since new... 4.10s, 8 Speed Auto. 75 MPH up and down Rt. 81.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
V8's are here to stay for a long long while. Especially in trucks and SUV's. Ford would have discontinued the coyote 5.0 by now if the 3.5 Ecoboost wasn't such a fuel pig under boost. And there lies the problem. A V6 isn't going to get V8 levels of power and torque without boost. Under boost fuel efficiency goes right down the shitter.

So not only is the V8 a simpler design, less moving parts, less to break and maintain, it gets better fuel efficiency under load than a boosted V6.
That’s true. Although, it is impressive what a modern factory natural aspirated V6 does on pump gas these days. I always thought it was impressive that my 2017 Canyon made 308 hp on 87 octane. Granted, it made more torque, but I remember all of the Chevy ads when I was a kid talking about the new 285 hp LT1 V8 in the early 90s Camaros. The GM 3.6l is just one example and some n/a V6s are putting out more power than that...

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
That’s true. Although, it is impressive what a modern factory natural aspirated V6 does on pump gas these days. I always thought it was impressive that my 2017 Canyon made 308 hp on 87 octane. Granted, it made more torque, but I remember all of the Chevy ads when I was a kid talking about the new 285 hp LT1 V8 in the early 90s Camaros. The GM 3.6l is just one example and some n/a V6s are putting out more power than that...
And then you look at what the V6's were putting out back in the 90's. Maybe 140-160 horsepower. So, that 285 HP out of the old LT1 was impressive, for the time.

Spcbl1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Mojave, 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Occupation
IT Director
And then you look at what the V6's were putting out back in the 90's. Maybe 140-160 horsepower. So, that 285 HP out of the old LT1 was impressive, for the time.
As the owner of one of those 285hp 90's LT1's I can agree, and it is still no slouch 23 years later. And it get avg of 21mpg on 93 octane.

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing - Planning & Research
Can’t you get a magnusen supercharger kit for the 3.6L that gives you 22% more HP and torque (440/380) than a 5.7L HEMI V8? — rhetorical question; yes, you can.

Seems cheaper than pressing restart on a car loan or an engine swap...

Edit: also, if the 4xe is any indicator.. more HP and TQ (and faster delivery of said HP and TQ) to be had by multi-motor hybrid systems in addition to better MPG. I know the old guard will rake me over the coals for sayin this but I think electric is going to take over... Moore’s law has a ways to go unchecked in terms of battery density and efficiency.

3F1E6961-88BF-40D0-BF42-81019940A0E0.gif

Sponsored

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Can’t you get a magnusen supercharger kit for the 3.6L that gives you 22% more HP and torque (440/380) than a 5.7L HEMI V8? — rhetorical question; yes, you can.

Edit: also, if the 4xe is any indicator.. more HP and TQ (and faster delivery of said HP and TQ) to be had by multi-motor hybrid systems in addition to better MPG. I know the old guard will rake me over the coals for sayin this but I think electric is going to take over... Moore’s law has a ways to go unchecked in terms of battery density and efficiency.
And it’s a roots style SC, so it should build boost sooner where you want it than the centrifugal type. I’m definitely looking at this option if I still feel the need for more power after changing gears.

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
And it’s a roots style SC, so it should build boost sooner where you want it than the centrifugal type. I’m definitely looking at this option if I still feel the need for more power after changing gears.
Yup and runs at only ~5lbs boost IIRC so shouldn’t wreak havoc on stock internals

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link

Jeep Gladiator Factory V8 3F1E6961-88BF-40D0-BF42-81019940A0E0
The current output for the Ram 1500 5.7 is 395hp/410 lb-ft so 45 more hp but 30 less lb-ft on the torque side with a boosted V6. With the 5.7 you aren't adding intercoolers and excess heat from increased compression. Even at 5psi thats a bit of extra wear on the 3.6.

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The current output for the Ram 1500 5.7 is 395hp/410 lb-ft so 45 more hp but 30 less lb-ft on the torque side with a boosted V6. With the 5.7 you aren't adding intercoolers and excess heat from increased compression. Even at 5psi thats a bit of extra wear on the 3.6.
Of course - always trade-offs involved! Entropy is going to do its thing so maintenance and repair is inevitable regardless of your setup... I think a supercharger just sounds cooler haha I dunno

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Of course - always trade-offs involved! Entropy is going to do its thing so maintenance and repair is inevitable regardless of your setup... I think a supercharger just sounds cooler haha I dunno
Agreed on that, I like the sound of a V8, I've missed it since I got rid of the Mustang back in 2013, those Coyote engines are fun. If they don't have a V8 option when my lease is up, I might consider a swap, can always throw a supercharger on the 5.7 too lol. I'd just rather tow with an NA V8 than a boosted V6. Once you are constantly in boost due to weight the V6 shows no benefits.
Sponsored