NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I as well, Thanks
What passive alarm are you using? Is it the stock one, or something aftermarket? I park with the top off and tube doors on a lot, so any added piece of mind would be great. You said quietly notifies you, so do you have something that goes to your phone?
Sponsored

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
What passive alarm are you using? Is it the stock one, or something aftermarket? I park with the top off and tube doors on a lot, so any added piece of mind would be great. You said quietly notifies you, so do you have something that goes to your phone?
Mine is a Viper 5305V 2 way LCD with a 1/4 mile range. My alarm guy tweaked it some but in my opinion it is the best you can get.

Nolan

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Commander Overland, 20 Gladiator Rubicon
Makes for a good joke and fun, but 12 volts ain't enough for even a tingle. I've dealt with auto electric for decades and that includes taking the hot wire off the back of alternators while leaning on the engine. Not even a tingle.
I can carry a battery by the terminals.

I know it's joking around but on the practical side in case someone is reading this and thinking - hey, good idea! No, it's not - you'd have to fully insulate the item from the truck's bumper and other parts. A hood ornament - you'd have to have rubber or cork between it and the hood, insulate the shanks of the screws and the screw heads from the hood.

Just saying - in case anyone takes it seriously and tries it - the only thing you'd fry is the wire you'd use to connect the battery to it as it would be a dead short to ground.
It won't hurt a person or even tingle - it's only 12 volts!

Like I say - I realize people are joking around, but just in case someone thinks it's serious and a car battery can zing you or it makes a good theft deterrent - sorry - no, it won't. Not enough voltage.
------------------------------------

Category: Physics Published: November 1, 2013

img_2190.jpg

The shock from a car battery will not harm you. Public Domain Image, source: Christopher S. Baird.
The shock from a car battery will not kill you. In fact, under normal conditions, a 12-volt car battery will not even shock you.
That's why you need that 1 farad Supercapacitor installed! ;)

(Just kidding. Do NOT do that. You'll go to jail when it kills someone with a pacemaker or something, even the thief. Although a 12v 1F capacitor isn't typically fatal, it could be...)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So, you're just running around pulling your gun on people?
The whole country is just so humorless on edge and jumpy...

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Especially those standing to the left of the stage.....
When I saw your post - I thought back to the images of the father with a teenage daughter sitting on the porch, waiting for the boy to pick up his daughter for their date............... he tells the young guy "I'll just be here cleaning my gun". sometimes you just have to laugh.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
When I saw your post - I thought back to the images of the father with a teenage daughter sitting on the porch, waiting for the boy to pick up his daughter for their date............... he tells the young guy "I'll just be here cleaning my gun". sometimes you just have to laugh.
That's funny, more so because I've been cleaning a gun when my oldest daughter was going on a date and the lad showed up to pick her up. Asking him what his intentions were, seemed to rattle him, I'm guessing. :CWL:

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Why leave them on at all when not off-road other than ......... never mind. Leave no loose parts that someone can simply lift and walk away with - n
I even remove my bed rail cleats when not tying anything down....

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Makes for a good joke and fun, but 12 volts ain't enough for even a tingle. I've dealt with auto electric for decades and that includes taking the hot wire off the back of alternators while leaning on the engine. Not even a tingle.
I can carry a battery by the terminals.

I know it's joking around but on the practical side in case someone is reading this and thinking - hey, good idea! No, it's not - you'd have to fully insulate the item from the truck's bumper and other parts. A hood ornament - you'd have to have rubber or cork between it and the hood, insulate the shanks of the screws and the screw heads from the hood.

Just saying - in case anyone takes it seriously and tries it - the only thing you'd fry is the wire you'd use to connect the battery to it as it would be a dead short to ground.
It won't hurt a person or even tingle - it's only 12 volts!

Like I say - I realize people are joking around, but just in case someone thinks it's serious and a car battery can zing you or it makes a good theft deterrent - sorry - no, it won't. Not enough voltage.
------------------------------------

Category: Physics Published: November 1, 2013

img_2190.jpg

The shock from a car battery will not harm you. Public Domain Image, source: Christopher S. Baird.
The shock from a car battery will not kill you. In fact, under normal conditions, a 12-volt car battery will not even shock you.
I was rereading this and thought about it some.... It might be a great used for the old capacitors from days gone or a old MSD system.šŸ˜‰

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was rereading this and thought about it some.... It might be a great used for the old capacitors from days gone or a old MSD system.šŸ˜‰
We did do that in college in the shop - there were a couple of guys in the class who were not the swiftest............... here, Al, think quick, catch this! ZAP!
Seems it happened in our high school electronics class a time or two as well.

One of the guys in college got the idea to rig the spark plug cleaner/tester to a guy's work bench and watch and wait until he was about ready to touch the bench and press the button on the spark plug tester.
Teacher was not amused - officially, but to the side you could see him grin.

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professional
I don't know why else to leave them on while not off-road besides looks, seems they'd make a hell of a lot of noise down the highway 24/7. Then you can avoid anymore thefts. Most of the color matched stuff I've seen is cheap and doesn't support any certified WLL anyhow. I'm never leaving anything just dangling for the taking with a few threads, good shackles aren't cheap.

Timoleon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Tech
With all the folks walking across the border here, there seems to be lots more people looking in my truck bed for lose items to grab and sell. I have resorted to open carry here just to make sure there is attention paid to who will strike if provoked. A quick walk around the vehicle after parking it and then slowly making my way into the store has some effect. But, you gotta check.

Also, I leave nothing to chance and lock up everything. I used to live in Sicily and am used to folks stealing even the paint off your vehicle... So, nothing surprises me.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know why else to leave them on while not off-road besides looks, seems they'd make a hell of a lot of noise down the highway 24/7. Then you can avoid anymore thefts. Most of the color matched stuff I've seen is cheap and doesn't support any certified WLL anyhow. I'm never leaving anything just dangling for the taking with a few threads, good shackles aren't cheap.
Mine make zero noise on the road even going over bumps.

If you want to keep someone from taking them just put some more torque on them other than hand tightening them. Most people aren't going to go through the effort to take them if they can't just remove them by hand.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I finally took them off because they were wearing through the powder coat on the bumper tabs. I wouldnā€™t want them loctited as I tend to move them to other places, depending on the specific recovery. Theyā€™re now in my recovery bag in the shackle pocket. Yes, Iā€™m so organized that I have a dedicated pocket for them. :) I really like the new Bolt locking Monster Hooks, but they are so expensive Iā€™d need to lie about the cost. If anyone buys them after this post, I take no responsibility.
Sponsored