Sponsored

Gearing with 35's

Gear ratio with 35's (possibly future 37's)

• Total voters

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
physician
I have a JT Sport S 8 speed auto with stock 3.73 gearing. I am currently running light 35's (315/70/17 BFG TA KO2s) and it drives ok but I want to re-gear. My dilemma is choosing what ratio (I am between 4.56 and 4.88). I may go with 37s down the road (likely BFG TAKO2 37x12.5x17 which are also very light weight) and I am having trouble deciding which ratio is best.

the JT370 AEV with the same 37" tires runs 4.56 and I think 4.56 would be better for 35's so I am leaning that way but also considering 4.88
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
4.10 on my Max tow seems to be perfect with BFG KO2S in size 315 70 17. So good I'll be bumping up to 37 12.5 17 in the same brand when these wear out. 18.5-19 mpgs average and right at 20 on some long trips. If I can stay above 17 mpgs on 37s I'll be happy.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
4.88 minimum.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Based on such different perceptions of how the JT performs with larger tires I would say it almost like picking a color, it is up to you, not something you can use others perception for. I have 4.10s and 34” tires, IMO it is borderline for towing and very noticeable difference from the stock 32” tires empty.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Didn't vote, you need to decide what size tires you're going to put on.

Assuming light/moderate trail and rural/urban mix:
If 35 then 4.56
If 37 then 4.88

Sponsored

OP
OP

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
physician
Didn't vote, you need to decide what size tires you're going to put on.

Assuming light/moderate trail and rural/urban mix:
If 35 then 4.56
If 37 then 4.88

that is right, mostly rural driving and some highways, light trail and beach driving. currently on 35s and will likely stick with them but might switch over to 37s in future.
If I had the MT I would go 4.88 for sure but with auto I am on the fence

OP
OP

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
physician
Just an update, I went with 4.88 and I am honestly surprised that it does not feel that much more aggressive (basically feels like I have the stock tires back), I'm also surprised that the gas mileage is so much better (so far averaging 19.7 v. 16.7 with stock gears, and yes I adjusted speedo to my tires)

grant it I have not taken it on the highway (mostly 40-65mph driving so far and babying it)

I am very happy I did not go with 4.56 as this feels perfect even with the 35s that I have

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
Thats awesome to hear and really amazed your mpg went up. That is something Ill never have to look forward to with this JT. It is what it is.

OP
OP

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
physician
Thats awesome to hear and really amazed your mpg went up. That is something Ill never have to look forward to with this JT. It is what it is.

good point, also we will see what happens after 500 mile break in as that is certainly affecting the gas mileage, then again I really didn't get close to 19 even when babying it in the past

colindo

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Overland
Just an update, I went with 4.88 and I am honestly surprised that it does not feel that much more aggressive (basically feels like I have the stock tires back), I'm also surprised that the gas mileage is so much better (so far averaging 19.7 v. 16.7 with stock gears, and yes I adjusted speedo to my tires)

grant it I have not taken it on the highway (mostly 40-65mph driving so far and babying it)

I am very happy I did not go with 4.56 as this feels perfect even with the 35s that I have
I missed this earlier but appreciate the input as I am on the same fence. I am on 35's and do mostly highway driving. I'm not sure I will go to 37s anytime soon since it likely means I can't park in the garage (currently have 1-1.5" of clearance at the top when I pull in). 4.56 is probably right but 4.88 will give that extra bit now and more capability for future upgrades.

Now I just need to convince my wife that we need to move so I can continue to upgrade the truck!

Sponsored

OP
OP

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
physician
I missed this earlier but appreciate the input as I am on the same fence. I am on 35's and do mostly highway driving. I'm not sure I will go to 37s anytime soon since it likely means I can't park in the garage (currently have 1-1.5" of clearance at the top when I pull in). 4.56 is probably right but 4.88 will give that extra bit now and more capability for future upgrades.

Now I just need to convince my wife that we need to move so I can continue to upgrade the truck!

cool, I do think 4.56 would be great too but for the driving I have done so far 4.88 has been great.

Then again during break in they said do not go over 70, I haven't gone much over 60 yet so will have to see how it is on the highway (I typically drive around 75mph with the jeep on the highway)

OP
OP

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
physician
just to clarify I also have an auto....which has a rediculously tall double overdrive 0.67 final ratio.

our 7th gear is almost exactly the same as a JK 5th gear on the auto or final ratio.

with manual I'm not sure if I would have done the same

colindo

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Overland
just to clarify I also have an auto....which has a rediculously tall double overdrive 0.67 final ratio.

our 7th gear is almost exactly the same as a JK 5th gear on the auto or final ratio.

with manual I'm not sure if I would have done the same
I have the auto as well so should be ok. I'll probably go 4.88 as I want to add bumpers, winch and rack eventually and don't want to have to do it all over again.

Separate question...I noticed that you mention you have the retrax mx cover. They don't list the gladiator as a vehicle they fit so did you buy the Tacoma or Colorado version?

OP
OP

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
physician
I have the auto as well so should be ok. I'll probably go 4.88 as I want to add bumpers, winch and rack eventually and don't want to have to do it all over again.

Separate question...I noticed that you mention you have the retrax mx cover. They don't list the gladiator as a vehicle they fit so did you buy the Tacoma or Colorado version?

wow, I just realized I listed the wrong thing in my sig...I was looking for retrax but bought Bak Revolver X4, got it from auto anything

OP
OP

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
physician
BTW if you chat with autoanything they can sometimes discount items, I feel like I got a great deal on the tonneau
Sponsored