Sponsored

Gladiator Diesel Bottoming Out Poll - Let’s get some numbers here.

If your Gladiator bottoms out on pothole/bumps, what model do you have?

• Total voters
OP
OP
am1978

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
@JeepCares check out the number of poll responses for those of us who own gladiators with the EcoDiesel. That’s a lot responses. You need to address the problem publicly and stop asking us to PM on an individual basis. You need to address the group.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This would be useful. Let me see if I can find a consistent location where it happens and I’ll try to mount a GoPro.
I dont have possession of my 22 3.0 yet, but it might be helpful for a view looking at the coil too? Showing it strike the pad? Maybe mounted on the inside of the bumper.
Yeah it just would be helpful to SEE what some guys are talking about. There are guys with the same coil springs and one guy says his bottoms out and the other guys Jeep doesn't. So seeing what is going on might be helpful. 15-20 MPH is a little fast for speed bumps anyway.

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SingGray JTRD, 2012 Dozer JK, 2014 GC
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
I’m still running stock on my rubicon. It happens on the “soft” 33 Wildpeaks. Where is that write-up you are referring to?
They gave me a hard copy stapled to my reciept. I've filed it at home, and am now on the road for the next 3 mos, so sorry, can't pull it back up.

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel and 2021 Wrangler 4xe
I commented on the part 2 to this thread, long story short, i did some measurements and found out that our suspension sucks so badly because up travel is only 2 and 5/8 inch, i thought soft springs, like a majority of us. My Wifes Sahara JL is 4 and 1/8th inch... welllll, after over a week at the dealer, i looked over my suspension some more and found that the bumpstop mount is about 1.25-1.5 inches LOWER, therefore eating up our uptravel. THIS is the reason our suspension sucks, THIS is why every little bump and pothole bottoms out our suspension.

with this information, might be in out best interest to reduce or at least doublecheck our bumpstop requirements when putting together a lift, if we use the same gas bumpstops, we will be reducing the travel too much.

I never thought it would be the FRAME thats the issue with our suspension... i didnt want to lift my jeep, but seems thats the only way to get acceptable performance :mad:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...-poll-2-spring-part-numbers.51142/post-844342

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I commented on the part 2 to this thread, long story short, i did some measurements and found out that our suspension sucks so badly because up travel is only 2 and 5/8 inch, i thought soft springs, like a majority of us. My Wifes Sahara JL is 4 and 1/8th inch... welllll, after over a week at the dealer, i looked over my suspension some more and found that the bumpstop mount is about 1.25-1.5 inches LOWER, therefore eating up our uptravel. THIS is the reason our suspension sucks, THIS is why every little bump and pothole bottoms out our suspension.

with this information, might be in out best interest to reduce or at least doublecheck our bumpstop requirements when putting together a lift, if we use the same gas bumpstops, we will be reducing the travel too much.

I never thought it would be the FRAME thats the issue with our suspension... i didnt want to lift my jeep, but seems thats the only way to get acceptable performance :mad:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...-poll-2-spring-part-numbers.51142/post-844342
You measured this on a Rubicon specifically?

Sponsored

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You measured this on a Rubicon specifically?
Funny you ask, I did measure on a ecodiesel rubicon and they uptravel was about the same as my 80th anniversary ~2-5/8" ... My wifes 4xe Sahara is 4-1/8" uptravel. My wifes bumpstop cup ends between the middle of the power steering bolts (looking at the drivers side) and my ecodiesel ends at about the same level as the bottom of the frame. eyeballs see a difference of 1.25-1.5" difference, our springs are so tightly wound at ride height, i cannot get a tool in there.

All Gladiators have the same suspension height, its the shocks and spring rate that change.

My Guess is the diesel engine may contact the axle or suspension and thats why the factory extended the bump stop tubes.

OP
OP
am1978

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer
P
Funny you ask, I did measure on a ecodiesel rubicon and they uptravel was about the same as my 80th anniversary ~2-5/8" ... My wifes 4xe Sahara is 4-1/8" uptravel. My wifes bumpstop cup ends between the middle of the power steering bolts (looking at the drivers side) and my ecodiesel ends at about the same level as the bottom of the frame. eyeballs see a difference of 1.25-1.5" difference, our springs are so tightly wound at ride height, i cannot get a tool in there.

All Gladiators have the same suspension height, its the shocks and spring rate that change.

My Guess is the diesel engine may contact the axle or suspension and thats why the factory extended the bump stop tubes.
Pics?

OP
OP
am1978

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer

Interesting. My wife has a 2018 JLU Sahara and it escaped me on trying to compare the two because while they are similar I assumed they were slightly different. Anyone have a JLRD to measure against the JTRD?

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. My wife has a 2018 JLU Sahara and it escaped me on trying to compare the two because while they are similar I assumed they were slightly different. Anyone have a JLRD to measure against the JTRD?
What is there to measure? The measurements are in my post ...

OP
OP
am1978

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer
What is there to measure? The measurements are in my post ...
Just want to see where exactly you measured. Also thought it would be more comparable to compare a JL diesel to a JT diesel truck barred of a 4xe, which has a battery bank under the rear seats (I think).

Sponsored

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just want to see where exactly you measured. Also thought it would be more comparable to compare a JL diesel to a JT diesel truck barred of a 4xe, which has a battery bank under the rear seats (I think).
Measurements are bottom of steel cup to the coil pad where it would hit, limiting travel.

Having looked at GAS JL, JT, 2 door and 4 door, cheap sport, 4xe and loaded rubicon the bump stop is about 1.5 inches shorter than my gladiator ecodiesel, allowing 1.5” more Uptravel.

Compared to gladiator ecodiesel Willy’s and rubicon, the bumpstop is 1.5 LOWER, just like my 80th anniversary.

Yes, I went to the dealership and looked under their inventory.

I can say with 100% certainty, ecodiesel have 1.25-1.5” lower bumpstop “cups” than the gas. Limiting Uptravel by 1.25-1.5”. An accurate measurement was difficult but easy to spot the relative location difference. It’s a big difference.

I can say with 100% certainty MY 80th anniversary/ sport s ecodiesel has 2-5/8” up travel. MEASURED BY ME

I can say with 100% certainty my wife’s 4xe measures 4-1/8” Uptravel. MEASURED BY ME.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So a set of those fancy hydraulic bumpstops would soak up the bumps then maybe?

I was asking if it was a Rubicon specifically because it seems like a lot of guys with the issue are Rubicons. It still makes no sense to me why guys like me with, say, a loaded Overland on the same coil springs have zero bottoming out even in stock form.

OP
OP
am1978

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer

I was asking if it was a Rubicon specifically because it seems like a lot of guys with the issue are Rubicons. It still makes no sense to me why guys like me with, say, a loaded Overland on the same coil springs have zero bottoming out even in stock form.
Which is why I suggested a rubicon JL to JT, both diesel, comparison. I don’t doubt the measurements, but it would be good to go as close to apples to apples as possible.

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which is why I suggested a rubicon JL to JT, both diesel, comparison. I don’t doubt the measurements, but it would be good to go as close to apples to apples as possible.
Well, Covid supply shortage is making things difficult … again, we don’t need to measure to the last tenth of an inch when our frames blow 1.5” of Uptravel, that’s A LOT!

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Maybe you don’t recognize it, the bumpers make it feel like a subtle thud, unless you really smash them, then you’ll hear a hellova clank which I did once (pothole hidden under rainwater)

FYI, I think I have I have 76 springs and a loaded ecodiesel rubicon with steel bumpers had 77 and had the same Uptravel as me.
Sponsored