First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Here's a good video discussing different types of heating systems.
I'd opt for the diesel heater option. Lots of heat, fairly inexpensive, I've heard they can cook you out of a teardrop. Spoke to a campground host who had one. He lives in his teardrop year-round.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '93 Landcruiser, '77 CJ, '88 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'd opt for the diesel heater option. Lots of heat, fairly inexpensive, I've heard they can cook you out of a teardrop. Spoke to a campground host who had one. He lives in his teardrop year-round.
The more I look into it, the better diesel sounds. Too bad my Gladiator isn’t a diesel. Electric requires too much power to be comfortable. Propane can handle it but you may have open flame, carbon monoxide detector and condensation challenges. I can’t find a small (3000 to 5000 btu) propane heater with a heat exchanger. Diesel heaters use outside air and exhaust outside as well as a thermostat and a fan. They are pretty cheap also. Chinese ones are under $200.

Does anyone have experience with small heaters?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just finished glassing the ribs to the outside panels. 2” wide woven glass worked nicely. It’s hard to see since it is transparent.
179014EA-40B6-4AC6-A623-B4210B832C8E.jpeg
0EC6C249-E2F9-47DB-A0C7-EEFA444C45BC.jpeg

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The more I look into it, the better diesel sounds. Too bad my Gladiator isn’t a diesel. Electric requires too much power to be comfortable. Propane can handle it but you may have open flame, carbon monoxide detector and condensation challenges. I can’t find a small (3000 to 5000 btu) propane heater with a heat exchanger. Diesel heaters use outside air and exhaust outside as well as a thermostat and a fan. They are pretty cheap also. Chinese ones are under $200.

Does anyone have experience with small heaters?
I finally found a propane heater similar to the diesel ones with external exhaust, but a bit pricey.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 5.47.04 PM

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I finally found a propane heater similar to the diesel ones with external exhaust, but a bit pricey.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 5.47.04 PM
I personally don't have a heater yet. Looking at a bed camper. Haitus campers looks really nice. So does Harker outdoors. I would be inclined to go with the diesel heater. Less expensive, I imagine less expensive to run, and it just sips the fuel so slowly. The guy I talked to. Had a inexpensive (cheap) Chinese knockoff bought off Amazon. Loves it.

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
If you go to a website called wander the West there is a fair amount of info on heaters for campers. One of the big issues is condensation, supposedly the diesel heaters are better at not creating condensation.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If you go to a website called wander the West there is a fair amount of info on heaters for campers. One of the big issues is condensation, supposedly the diesel heaters are better at not creating condensation.
Thanks for the link. Below is a great (and long) article on diesel/gas heaters, which also discusses condensation issues of other types.

https://faroutride.com/air-heater-installation/

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I keep looking for a swing away rear tire mount w/bumper. There are a couple out there but the price quickly goes over $2,000. I just came across this bracket that lets Gladiator owners install JL bumpers. There are a lot more JL bumper/spare tire options out there at much lower prices.

I also called Fab Four (my front bumper), and they said they would be releasing a rear mount spare bumper this January. I like Fab Four because they are US made, heavy construction, and powder coated. If you don't get powder coated, don't be surprised if your new Jeep has a rusty bumper in a couple years.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 6.37.35 AM

Last edited:

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have used both the Propex HS2800, propane, and Chinese Diesel Heaters. Needless to say I removed the Propex and heavy propane saddle tanks. You can go through a lot of propane camping in the winter. I have used Chinese diesel heaters for years. I have never had an issue. They sip fuel. Last week I camped and ran the heater for about 36hrs on 1 gallon of diesel fuel. Look up Afterburner on Facebook. This is the controller you want to install. These heaters are designed to not cycle on and off due to heating the glow plug at the beginning and end of each cycle. But they work fantastic and are cheap enough to buy another as a spare or for parts if required.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have used both the Propex HS2800, propane, and Chinese Diesel Heaters. Needless to say I removed the Propex and heavy propane saddle tanks. You can go through a lot of propane camping in the winter. I have used Chinese diesel heaters for years. I have never had an issue. They sip fuel. Last week I camped and ran the heater for about 36hrs on 1 gallon of diesel fuel. Look up Afterburner on Facebook. This is the controller you want to install. These heaters are designed to not cycle on and off due to heating the glow plug at the beginning and end of each cycle. But they work fantastic and are cheap enough to buy another as a spare or for parts if required.
Thanks, there is nothing better than experience!

KC_H

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I just finished glassing the ribs to the outside panels. 2” wide woven glass worked nicely. It’s hard to see since it is transparent.
179014EA-40B6-4AC6-A623-B4210B832C8E.jpeg
0EC6C249-E2F9-47DB-A0C7-EEFA444C45BC.jpeg
Remarkable craftsmanship!!! I cannot wait to watch as you complete it...

🍿

Last edited:

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I was reading an article the other day that globally because of the "green the earth" people, most countries are looking away from diesel, (one of the reasons why Earthcruiser does not offer diesel engines) so you can get a diesel heater, but a few years (could be way longer) down the road when there is no diesel to be purchased, the heater is useless....but again this is going to take a while to work its way through NA, and by then the resp[ective deiesel heaters will likely need to be replaced anyway.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
After a bit of final fitting, it will be time for bondo and paint. My idea is to have a professional paint it to match my Metallic Crystal Granite Gladiator, which will look great but cost some coin. Being the thrifty (cheap) DIY'er I am, I'm thinking about doing it myself. I'm thinking about priming it myself and doing a vinyl wrap like the Amazon carbon fiber wrap pictured below. They also have black camouflage wraps that might look good.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 12.05.29 PM

Any thoughts on the subject? Any experience with vinyl wraps on 4x4s?

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
After a bit of final fitting, it will be time for bondo and paint. My idea is to have a professional paint it to match my Metallic Crystal Granite Gladiator, which will look great but cost some coin. Being the thrifty (cheap) DIY'er I am, I'm thinking about doing it myself. I'm thinking about priming it myself and doing a vinyl wrap like the Amazon carbon fiber wrap pictured below. They also have black camouflage wraps that might look good.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 12.05.29 PM

Any thoughts on the subject? Any experience with vinyl wraps on 4x4s?
What climate will you be in mostly? Vinyl wraps have a lifespan largely impacted by climate. Extremely hot and dusty climates will have a much bigger impact on lifespan. If you do go that route spend the additional money for a high quality brand and for the automotive specific materials (3m and Avery are both good quality)
Sponsored