First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
Unless this is removable and mobile, it’s a no-go from me. I really struggle w/ attached solar panels. When I camp , I camp in the shade and with a RTT, that means my vehicle is in the shade.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Unless this is removable and mobile, it’s a no-go from me. I really struggle w/ attached solar panels. When I camp , I camp in the shade and with a RTT, that means my vehicle is in the shade.
49pcsv.jpg

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Cool product, I watched a video on a non rubi jk version just last week. If it works for you... go for it... if it doesn’t work for you... look for another solution.

Glad-inator

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It’d be cool if it was magnetic that way you could remove it whenever you wanted. Not sure how/if magnets mess with solar cells or not... but if so- some sort of quick disconnecting feature would be nice.

Sponsored

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Seems like a neat option for anyone with onboard electronics with constant drain. Even an extra in-line battery pack for a hardwire dashcam is often $200-$300.

$500 for a complete kit, if it works for your needs sounds pretty cool.

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Healthcare
I wish it was a little cheaper given that it only provides 30 watts (compared to 80 or higher with their other vehicle units). But I still may go for one. We do a little camping here and there where it may be useful, but not a ton. It’s definitely a cool mix of useful tech and design.

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Hey everyone, I didn't know about Cascadia 4x4's version so thanks for the post. We just got our JTR a couple months ago but prior to this I've been running hood solar on my FJ Cruiser for about 3 years and found it invaluable for keeping my dual batteries topped off and ARB fridge running all year round. Yes, there are instances where shade in not your friend with a hard mounted solar panel, but we do a lot of trips in CO and UT where we are fully exposed for days on end and the panel really works well. Some of the guys also carried a portable flexible panel to plug in as well (using a Redarc DC/DC w/ solar)

Juniper Overland here in CO installs a bunch of hood solar panels and I plan on going there for another install on the JTR. Heck, even in my driveway the panel would consistently top off my batteries. I am reaching out to Lensun to see if they have a custom panel in the works as 30W is just a touch small... 50W seems to be the minimum that a lot of Tacoma and GX guys/gals run out here. My old FJ panel was 80W fyi.

IMG_20171107_102458019.jpg

IMG_20171107_102520778_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171107_102532428.jpg

IMG_20180203_163404519.jpg

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like a interesting option, for Overland and Sport being a better option 80 vs 30. But sold out:crying: of the non Rubicon, I'd probably ordered it as soon as I seen it. Since I'm looking into setting up second (3rd if including the ESS) battery. I was thinking about a roof or rack mounted panel, not sure I want to be drilling hole in hardtop. So that would spare me that.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
A update on their 80 w Non-Rubicon one. It was not a fast delivery. I got it in on Tuesday. Then luckily had good weather for last 2 days.... My off days and got it installed. I skipped getting the clear film "patch" I had about 2.5 ft of 6in film that I used.
First thoughts on it....
1. Expensive but complete and good instructions. note: I had to email company to find out status of my order, after I did I got update(s) on it
2. It would be better to include 2 more 3M adhesive accelerate wipes and second strip of 3M tape on front edge.
3. Something to think about for install further down hood it will block windshield washer spray nozzles but you can lay hood on windshield vs the panel controller hits cowl if paid back on windshield. "A shift of box forward on it about 2-4 cm would eliminate the issue plus might stress cable less that way."
4. Cable ends up needing to do 180° bend. Over edge of hood and in to engine compartment. Might be problem in future.
5. Install instructions was good. If you can't follow them or figure it out... Best bet.... Contract the job out.
6. Battery lead wire is long enough to get started to hooking up dual battery setup.
7. I seen charging of battery as soon as connection was made, and Jeep was charging from panel when I was driving still. :like:
** Later planning to run wire from it's charge control box to power fridge freezer in Jeep, and to charge secondary battery I'm planning to install. Still thinking about installing of solar panel(s) on hardtop?

IMG_20201009_141601.jpg

IMG_20201009_141616.jpg

Last edited:

dsundy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Assuming you don't have a dual battery set up (or anything like a fridge), could you theoretically wire this directly to your battery to keep it topped off / use it for a recharge in the event of needing a jump?

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
Assuming you don't have a dual battery set up (or anything like a fridge), could you theoretically wire this directly to your battery to keep it topped off / use it for a recharge in the event of needing a jump?
Correct, that’s exactly why I’m thinking of getting one.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
3. Something to think about for install further down hood it will block windshield washer spray nozzles but you can lay hood on windshield vs the panel controller hits cowl if paid back on windshield. "A shift of box forward on it about 2-4 cm would eliminate the issue plus might stress cable less that way."
I have one of these on order, just curious about point #3. Were you saying the install can block the spray nozzles, or were you suggesting a different design that would mount farther down the hood?

Also, is there an obstruction for laying the windshield down with the solar panel installed?
Sponsored