JRegister

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/Max Tow
UPDATE #2 - From Good To Bad... :-(

So I got a call from my service advisor on the way home this evening...

The glass company wants to try to "fix" my hardtop before they plop the money down to buy a new hardtop. I mean, I get it... the hardtop is expensive... but the same guys that jacked up my hardtop & left the back of my Jeep covered in shards of glass want to try to fix it... Hmmm....

I'm skeptical as hell.

I told my service advisor that I'm not happy about that since I'm not confident they can fix it after the job they did. But he assured me that if it isn't fixed to his satisfaction, or mine, that they will replace the hardtop.

OK, I guess I'll play along.

So I'm dropping my Jeep back off tomorrow morning at 7am so the glass company can attempt their fix.

We will see. :) To be continued...
Sponsored

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
If and when you get a new top have that bench tested for leaks before install if possible.

Bruce

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer

The glass company wants to try to "fix" my hardtop before they plop the money down to buy a new hardtop. I mean, I get it... the hardtop is expensive... but the same guys that jacked up my hardtop & left the back of my Jeep covered in shards of glass want to try to fix it... Hmmm....

I'm skeptical as hell.

I told my service advisor that I'm not happy about that since I'm not confident they can fix it after the job they did. But he assured me that if it isn't fixed to his satisfaction, or mine, that they will replace the hardtop.

So I'm dropping my Jeep back off tomorrow morning at 7am so the glass company can attempt their fix.

Yep - Good to Bad...dang it.

I don't see a scenario where a glass company is going to recreate the color and texturing on an essentially BRAND-NEW hardtop. Their first attempt at covering their mistake was WAY off. Just more hoops for you to jump through.

Wish you the best and hope if resolves soon...

OP
OP

JRegister

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep - Good to Bad...dang it.

I don't see a scenario where a glass company is going to recreate the color and texturing on an essentially BRAND-NEW hardtop. Their first attempt at covering their mistake was WAY off. Just more hoops for you to jump through.

Wish you the best and hope if resolves soon...
@Ravenron - Thanks man I really appreciate the support!

Yea, I have no idea what exactly they are going to do to fix it. I'm like 99% sure the paint won't match perfectly & that it won't be flawless like it was before. I'm thinking I'm probably going to have to play hardball when it's done. We will see! Thanks again.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
@Ravenron - Thanks man I really appreciate the support!

Yea, I have no idea what exactly they are going to do to fix it. I'm like 99% sure the paint won't match perfectly & that it won't be flawless like it was before. I'm thinking I'm probably going to have to play hardball when it's done. We will see! Thanks again.
If it gets nasty, then it would be good to show that you gave them a chance to fix it in good faith. Just don't accept it if it does not look as good as new to your satisfaction; it is their responsibility to make it right.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JRegister

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it gets nasty, then it would be good to show that you gave them a chance to fix it in good faith. Just don't accept it if it does not look as good as new to your satisfaction; it is their responsibility to make it right.
Thanks @jurfie I appreciate that. I’ll for sure stand my ground if it doesn’t look good as new. Thanks again!

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
Before you hand it over, I'd bring it to a detail shop (a higher end one) pay them a bit of money for them to document the condition of the hardtop right now, they can capture good quality photos of the damage etc.
you have that documented with a third party, should the window place not fix it correctly (which I highly doubt they ever would).
then you can push for a new replacement.

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur

I'm skeptical as hell.

I would be asking what they have planned... You don't want them trying to fix it and messing something else up

FoxForce4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT HA
Zero chance the gorillas that ruined the top should get a chance to "fix" it, especially since it can't be fixed.

Be clear here- the issue is between YOU and the DEALER. The issues that the 3rd party has with the dealer is just that- THEIR issues. It is up to THEM to figure out between themselves what should be done with their own relationship. You have a relationship with the dealer and FCA. You didn't hire these guys, you didn't find these guys, you didn't negotiate a deal with these guys. Your deal is with FCA on a warranty. PERIOD.

Don't let the dealer hit you with, "yeah the 3rd party doesn't want to blah blah blah." Not your problem. That's the dealer's problem. The dealer said you were getting a new top. That's the deal. You don't have some sort of contingency that says "unless the cheap incompetents the dealer hired don't feel like it." The dealer can figure out how they want to go after the 3rd party.

YOU are the injured party. The negotiation between other people ain't your problem, and don't let them make it your problem.

pbrevo64

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright White Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Project Manager
I am currently going through a similar situation. Brought mine in on 11/16 for the leaking rear window (an an engine oil leak) and after a week, picked up my JT. The next night I was loading some stuff into the backseat and noticed touch up paint. Started looking further and noticed two areas with gouges, that they attempted to touch up with paint, and a plethora of nicks, chips, peeling paint, scuffs, and general dirt/dust/silicone scraps, and even some trash in my bed. Brought it back the next morning as I did not notice the damage until late at night and pointed it out to the service advisor and service manager. The dealership agreed that it was unacceptable and never should have been returned to me in this condition, and agreed that between the dealership and their auto glass company they contracted, they will pay to have it repaired. It has now been at a body shop since Monday, and is expected to be there until at least the end of next week. Right now the rear window is removed again, and the body shop is in the process of replacing some interior panels that were scratched, and re-painting the roof while they wait for the new rear window to arrive.

Personally I do not have a high level of confidence that it will be back to the factory condition, but I plan to do my own inspection after the dealership completes theirs, and hopefully everything is back to factory condition. I will post an update once I get my JT back.

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

JRegister

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@pbrevo64 - Sorry to hear that man!! Yea sounds like you are in the same situation as me. Definitely not fun & I hope they take care of you.

After I dropped my Jeep off this morning I pressed my Service Advisor for more answers on what the glass company is going to do to fix the gouges/scratches in my hardtop...

He said that the glass company "has a guy" who fixed a Gladiator before & can match textured paint & such. The glass company is going to take it that guy's shop. I lost even more confidence when he told me that because who knows where they are taking my Jeep. And who the heck is their "guy" that's fixing it. I sure hope they don't jack anything else up...

But my Service Advisor reassured me that after the glass company completes the work he's going to have the dealership's body shop tech look at the repairs. If the repairs don't look good they're going to go ahead and order the new hardtop.

So who knows when I'll get mine back. I'll post pics when done as well.

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing to keep in mind is that the repairs done may not last as long as the original finish. What is going to happen if the paint they apply starts to peel off in a few years?

I'd be pushing for a new replacement top. Not sure you have any legal recourse, but I'd still push for it. Or at a minimum agree to the repairs only if the dealership gives you a long warranty on them.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Another thing to keep in mind is that the repairs done may not last as long as the original finish. What is going to happen if the paint they apply starts to peel off in a few years?

I'd be pushing for a new replacement top. Not sure you have any legal recourse, but I'd still push for it. Or at a minimum agree to the repairs only if the dealership gives you a long warranty on them.
This ^^^

I would be concerned about durability of their "fix". Maybe it will be great - Maybe not. This kind of fix is fine when you've made a mistake and are looking for the most affordable repair...save some money and make it look pretty good. This isn't the case here. You're not interested in the most affordable repair...you're entitled to the same condition and quality top the Jeep had when you left it in their care. There is no need for you to accept anything other than "like-new" condition (assuming that was the condition of the top when you left it with them).

I'd let the dealership and the glass company know not to waste their time. They can have the old top and do as they wish. Stop the pain and request the new top regardless of what the glass company's hobby shop does.

That said (and how I would go)...you could accept the fix on the old top and request the dealer buy you a complete OEM soft top. Maybe something to think about?

Last edited:

Gladiator Girl

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Florist
Vehicle Showcase
Dealers don't do this work unless they have a body shop on site. Glass work is nearly always subcontracted out and service departments frequently don't check the work beyond yeah, there's a window there. Not making excuses for them because they should be going over the work before signing off but that's probably why OP wasn't told and why it left in such bad shape.

Gladiator Girl

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Florist
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2006 Mustang GT Convertible and the window tint company cut around the window of my convertible top. Didn’t tell me. When I brought it back to them they admitted it was done. So they paid my Ford Dealership to replace it. Well they hired someone outside the Dealership. After 3 months of Rain with no end in site my trunk and back seat were filled with water. Later found out he messed up on the seals. Never used my trunk, so I had no idea. Boy did my car smell of mold and mildew on a hot day. Needless to say my brand new Mustang had only 3500 miles on it. I had to get rid of it, the smell was horrid. The Dealership only replaced trunk carpet. Didn’t help at all. I should of sued. I definitely would gripe about anything that wasn’t there before I took my Gladiator in.
Sponsored