Gorilla Glass pure snake oil

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
You should check with another dealer. I have a ‘21 JT and I added the GG option in my factory build.
2 months of ownership and I got a rock chip while driving.
I took it in for warranty and they replaced it with a new GG windshield the next day. All I had to do was provide them with my purchase invoice that showed it was factory installed.
It wasn’t even the same dealership I bought it from.

it was a free replacement but didn’t last a month. Another rock chip.
GG sucks, after the second I just with with a basic windshield GG isn’t worth the money, more of a scam.
I’m currently on my 5th windshield in a year of ownership. I don’t even get upset anymore about rock chips, my glove box if stocked with rain-x windshield repair kits lol.
That is me I keep a couple windshield repair kits in the truck.
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is my 2nd gladiator 2022 sport S, 7 months old now , so when picking out my new jeep I decided to opt for the gorilla glass based on what i perceived as a 2 year warranty on chips, cracks etc etc, what a waste of $500.00...cracked windshield and claim denied from Jeep due to it being a "factory" installed glass, apparently you are not allowed to have your windshield crack unless it happens while you are not using your vehicle....this is the response from Jeep (below)

Note: per the VIP option Listings; The Gorilla Glass is "factory installed",,,,,,,,,Rejected.
Rock chips/road debris damage on a "factory installed" Gorilla Glass windshield is not a warrantable repair.

after speaking to the service advisor at the dealership i immediately called jeep cares and expressed my grievances, needless to say it was as i expected, hence why i'm spending time here sharing my personnel experience with wasting time and money on a Jeep supposed upgrade windshield that is total snake oil....

on a side note in regards to jeep cares they did offer me reimbursement if i went ahead and purchased a new windshield from the dealership, i do not see the point using my money up front in purchasing glass, then waiting who knows how long and most likely jumping through hoops to collect reimbursement for an upgrade product that was paid for when i purchased the Jeep....i've decided to turn over to insurance zero deductible and let em throw in what ever they want, glass installers will come to my house which saves me the hassle of dropping off at dealership....Jeep Gorilla Glass is NO Bueno
I've pointed this out to ton of people. But many have managed to con their dealer into covering it.

The warranty on the Gorilla Glass windshield ONLY applies to an aftermarket install. The warranty page everyone uses refers to MOPAR (which is the aftermarket parts arm of Chrysler) Gorilla glass.

There is NOTHING in any sales literature for new jeeps that mentions any kind of damage warranty.

When GG came out in early 2021ish. It was a $99 option.
When I ordered my Gladiator in Sept 2021, it was up to $199. For that kind of money I thought "what the heck".

For what they charge now for it (I think its about $500) its a no brainer to NOT get it.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't. get me wrong. If a windshield cracks it IS WARRANTIED. Provided the crac is the result of a defect in materials or install.

You can induce stress into a window when you install it that later shows up as a crack. That's warrantied.

What isn't warrantied is if the crack is caused by an impact. Its easy to tell if an impact is caused by damage. Run the tip of a knife along the crack. If it catches on any kind of tiny chip, even a very small one, then it was caused by a stone or something similar. If the crack is perfectly smooth with no chips, you probably can successfully claim it as a defect.

But then again, its all about playing the odds. If there is a chip, give it a shot anyway. People have successfully used this document to get damage repaired.

Bottom of page 2.
https://www.mopar.com/content/dam/mopar/content/store/pim/details/warranty.pdf

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same thing with tires... factory installed nobody really warrants them...
Tires are warrantied by the tire company. The service rep should have explained that to you.

The dealer may or not be a dealer for that brand of tire. If you need to resolve a warranty issue, then bring it to a dealer for that tire.

Of course if you rip a hole in the tire off road, or pinch a sidewall don't expect much.
I had a cord break in an OEM Continental tire on my wife's car. This resulted in a large bump in the tire.

The dealer tried to tell me that the only time a cord breaks is when you hit a huge pot hole and they dont have road hazard warranty. I wasn't going to argue. (there were no marks on the wheel)

So I brought it to a local tire shop with one of my mounted snows in the trunk. They took the tire off and put the snow on as a (full sized) spare. I drove around on the snow for a week while they got the new tire in and mounted it up. When it was ready I just picked it up and installed it myself.

Easy.

Fortunately the car only had 5000 miles on it at the time so I was able to replace a single tire. Her car is AWD and if there were too many miles, then a new tire. would have too much of a size differential.

As an aside, in another case, where the tires were about half worn, I was able to buy a used tire. with the same amount of wear to replace the damaged tire. That worked out well. I got it on ebay and most of the big used tire sellers tell you the tread depth so you can match what you've got on the car.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
I would go through a windshield every 2 months on my 2020. gorilla glass extended that to 6-9 months per windshield.

My 2022 came with it and has a crack/chip from a rock. California has the worst roads (and other things but the roads are especially horrible) and everyone at work with every vehicle except a compact car with a slanted windshield goes through the same. Broncos, explorers, audi SUV's etc.

The difference? Its like 220$ for a jeep windshield and that audi is nearly 2 grand due to recal of the forward collision. :)

Its not snake oil but its also not bulletproof! If you dont live in a warzone (california) it will probably last really long time.

Sponsored

QuintusMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2022 JT
This is my 2nd gladiator 2022 sport S, 7 months old now , so when picking out my new jeep I decided to opt for the gorilla glass based on what i perceived as a 2 year warranty on chips, cracks etc etc, what a waste of $500.00...cracked windshield and claim denied from Jeep due to it being a "factory" installed glass, apparently you are not allowed to have your windshield crack unless it happens while you are not using your vehicle....this is the response from Jeep (below)

Note: per the VIP option Listings; The Gorilla Glass is "factory installed",,,,,,,,,Rejected.
Rock chips/road debris damage on a "factory installed" Gorilla Glass windshield is not a warrantable repair.

after speaking to the service advisor at the dealership i immediately called jeep cares and expressed my grievances, needless to say it was as i expected, hence why i'm spending time here sharing my personnel experience with wasting time and money on a Jeep supposed upgrade windshield that is total snake oil....

on a side note in regards to jeep cares they did offer me reimbursement if i went ahead and purchased a new windshield from the dealership, i do not see the point using my money up front in purchasing glass, then waiting who knows how long and most likely jumping through hoops to collect reimbursement for an upgrade product that was paid for when i purchased the Jeep....i've decided to turn over to insurance zero deductible and let em throw in what ever they want, glass installers will come to my house which saves me the hassle of dropping off at dealership....Jeep Gorilla Glass is NO Bueno
I've been really happy with my film for protecting the windshield. Since it is a self install, it's half the price of exoshield, but seems to have better reviews from what I've seen.

https://www.grab-gard.com/products/jeep-wrangler-windshield

cgrand

First Name
christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator rubicon
Occupation
contractor
gorilla glass on my 2022 lasted all of 4 days. TINY chip "in the black" = cracked windshield top to bottom. replaced with the cheapest MOPAR glass they had

citadelfox

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Physician Associate
I took a big chunk of asphalt from a horse trailer that just couldn't stay in his lane and kept hitting the soft shoulder. All I got was a tiny chip. No crack. Would have shattered a normal windshield. It's harder to break than normal glass, but it isn't indestructible. Overall, I'm OK with it. I bought an ecodiesel Rubicon off the lot that someone backed out of due to financing reasons, so I didn't pick my options.

sully09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Occupation
Lawyer
OP is 100% correct. I had factory installed gorilla glass and it cracked from a chip I didn’t even notice on day 29 of driving the jeep. The claim was initially denied by Jeep, but my dealer appealed it for me and got it covered. My second gorilla glass windshield cracked from a rock chip after 2 weeks. So, for me at least, my average lifespan of gorilla glass has been 3 weeks. Just not work the extra cost.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker

Did you by chance catch how much the dealer wants for a new gorilla glass?? (Which I’m sure has already been covered- is a film on the INSIDE of the pannel…. 🤯)

anyways…. $1,200.00 plus install here in the PNW.

we will rock any chips/cracks as long as possible…. Then pursue a $0 comprehensive claim.

totally agree- warranty and claim process is utter trash. I fell for the upsale when we ordered too. Salesman stated 2 year warranty and it covers chips and cracks. My logic was well if they stand by the product enough to back chips and cracks for 2 years! That covers 1 and probably 2 safelight windshields! Fake news….. window cracked due to pressure? Temperature? 🤷🏽‍♂️ Cracked in my driveway when I started the jeep.
Dealer said “windshield warranty” and laughed 🤷🏽‍♂️ It’s snake oil full of BS.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Did you by chance catch how much the dealer wants for a new gorilla glass?? (Which I’m sure has already been covered- is a film on the INSIDE of the pannel…. 🤯)

anyways…. $1,200.00 plus install here in the PNW.

we will rock any chips/cracks as long as possible…. Then pursue a $0 comprehensive claim.

totally agree- warranty and claim process is utter trash. I fell for the upsale when we ordered too. Salesman stated 2 year warranty and it covers chips and cracks. My logic was well if they stand by the product enough to back chips and cracks for 2 years! That covers 1 and probably 2 safelight windshields! Fake news….. window cracked due to pressure? Temperature? 🤷🏽‍♂️ Cracked in my driveway when I started the jeep.
Dealer said “windshield warranty” and laughed 🤷🏽‍♂️ It’s snake oil full of BS.
GG is a 3 layer windshield. Outside layer is the standard soda lime glass. Then a clear vinyl layer. The inside layer is the GG glass.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
GG is a 3 layer windshield. Outside layer is the standard soda lime glass. Then a clear vinyl layer. The inside layer is the GG glass.
Thanks. You worded this far better than I did. I think this needs to be put out to any new Jeep buyer…. I purchased with the understanding that the GG was on the outside and resisted chipping/cracking…. Not the case as you explained.
Kind of a shame to try and up sale on a truely not so great piece of the vehicle.
Sell me on the bumpers, winch, liner, etc…… the $500 on glass just leaves things bitter..

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Thanks. You worded this far better than I did. I think this needs to be put out to any new Jeep buyer…. I purchased with the understanding that the GG was on the outside and resisted chipping/cracking…. Not the case as you explained.
Kind of a shame to try and up sale on a truely not so great piece of the vehicle.
Sell me on the bumpers, winch, liner, etc…… the $500 on glass just leaves things bitter..
From my quick research on GG. I got that info from Corning, who makes it. It's basically for weight reduction, improving clarity. And it's suppose to be 3 times more impact resistant. Used in windshields, side windows, sunroofs and moon roofs. Cell phones and tables too. There is different grades of it too.

Gezer

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator overland
I once got satifaction putting a large sign in the bed of my ram pick up and driving past the dealer every day. I am retired so no loss. It got their attention and my issue fixed. Don’t know if you have the time for the direct approach.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
The warranty on the Gorilla Glass windshield ONLY applies to an aftermarket install. The warranty page everyone uses refers to MOPAR (which is the aftermarket parts arm of Chrysler) Gorilla glass.

There is NOTHING in any sales literature for new jeeps that mentions any kind of damage warranty.
I heard this is why Mopar discontinued gorilla glass factory installed on Jeeps.
Sponsored