OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
If you want to spend money on the best, Amsoil Signature in 0W20.

If you want a good normally priced Synthetic, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W20.

If you want inexpensive, but still a great oil, Supertech/ Amazon/ Kirkland made by Warren.

My opinion formed after years on Bobistheoilguy, Project Farm's YT tests, and general research.
Thanks for the suggestion on the Amsoil. I am not familiar with it. Looks to be priced between Mobile 1 EP and Pennzoil Ultra Platnium.

I have never found Pennzoil Ultra Platinum locally. I usually ordered it on Amazon and it ended up being $45/5qt jug. Mobile 1 EP is usually $25-30 at the walmart. I found a couple jugs last week, a couple days AFTER I ended up using the Extended Performance High Mileage.

Now, I can't find the Extended Performance High Mileage in 5w20 in Mobile 1 brand. It's actually quite fun with this hunting for the usual product.
Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Thanks for the suggestion on the Amsoil. I am not familiar with it. Looks to be priced between Mobile 1 EP and Pennzoil Ultra Platnium.

I have never found Pennzoil Ultra Platinum locally. I usually ordered it on Amazon and it ended up being $45/5qt jug. Mobile 1 EP is usually $25-30 at the walmart. I found a couple jugs last week, a couple days AFTER I ended up using the Extended Performance High Mileage.

Now, I can't find the Extended Performance High Mileage in 5w20 in Mobile 1 brand. It's actually quite fun with this hunting for the usual product.
Penzoil Ultra Platimum

Get it at walmart.com

About $25 ... Same as in store ... They dont carry it by me either ... And yep, it is $45 at amazon for some reason ...

Walmart.com has mopar filters for $9 as well ...

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
It's a truck, it doesn't need super duper oil. It'll do 200k easily with any oil that meets the spec and is changed per the manual.

riplipper

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
I just will never understand the overthinking the oil thing...
I have NEVER had an engine fail me. And I almost always run them very close to or over 200K before getting rid of them. Between my wife an I we have racked up about 1.4 million miles on our vehicles.
I buy whatever synthetic is on sale and right now the deal at Costco cannot be beat, $26 bucks for two 5 quart jugs. I bought 4 of them so I'm good for quite a while. cheers

Sponsored

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
These engines are not tough on oil and truthfully about any oil that meets the specifications would be fine.

I'm one of those guys that hang out on the BITOG (Bob is the Oil Guy) forum and read a lot about oil. I also send oil samples in for analysis.

At the moment I have M1 EP 0w-20 in my Gladiator. Mostly because I bought it for $25 then got a $15 rebate. Made it too cheap to pass up for a premium oil. I have Quaker State full synthetic on the shelf for it's next oil change. Yea, I'll be sending samples in to see how they do.

For filters I order Mopar filters off Amazon. There is a Jeep dealer there that sells them for a good price in 3 and 6 packs. Since I have two vehicles that take the same filter I keep some on the shelf.

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2021 BMW M2, 2012 Monster 1100evo
Occupation
Business Intelligence
I don't understand why people care that I or others have a preferred oil
Just seems strange to us is all. But I can't even taste the difference so what would I know, ya know

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Just make sure the oil is Chrysler MS-6395 certified for your warranty.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I don't understand why people care that I or others have a preferred oil
Like I said, it is your baby. I completely understand why you have a preferred oil.

And for whoever said they wanted a documented difference, just look at the Product Data Sheet. Anyone who hangs around Bitog should know about those. I've not found a store shelf oil with a higher flash point or lower pour point than Mobil 1 EP. It likely has a lower Noack number, as well. Why? because it simply has more PAO, or true synthetic base stock in it. PAO handles higher heat and flows at colder temps. In other words, it does better at the extremes. Will my 3.6 ever see conditions where that comes into play. Likely not. But I like that the oil is capable. So it goes in my crank case whenever possible. On top of that, Exxon Mobil is one of the world's leaders in the development and manufacture of high end true synthetic fluids. (I don't care what the courts have said. Group III is highly refined dino oil. Good as it is, it is NOT what I personally would define as a true synthetic.)

Pennzoil Platinum, which everyone loves, and which I do think is a very good oil, has about the lowest flash point of any 0w20 I've seen (204 Centigrade) and its pour point isn't as low. Is it good enough? Yep. But you paid a lot of money for that Jeep. You chose the color of your Jeep. Nobody bitches. So you choose the oil, and then here comes the preaching/bitching.

Btw, the Mobil 1 EP pour point is -54 degrees, which is a whopping -65.2 Fahrenheit. It's flash point is 235 C, or 455 degrees F. Some get close on either end, but none except maybe Amsoil Signature compares on both ends of the spectrum. So why don't I care for Amsoil? 3 reasons. 1. Their marketing scheme turns me off. 2. Exxon Mobil makes some of their true synthetic base oils. 3. I can walk right into Wally World and grab M1 EP at a better price than Amsoil Signature. (5 quart jugs are in short supply, but my local WM currently has 1 quart bottles in abundance.)

So there's the data that makes me like M1 EP.

You really want to give someone some butthurt? Tell them you like the shiny silver bottles and the cool graphics on the front.

But they are right in this. The other oils they mentioned are all fine and the Pentastar is pretty easy on oil. But it is your choice.

As for Walmart, I'm not sure why the short supply. I checked my local Autozone and Advance Auto and they both have it. Plenty of it. So it must be just Wallyworld that has some kind of issue. Even the Mobil 1 oils they have in stock are in short supply. So it appears you aren't alone in your preference for Mobil 1.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just make sure the oil is Chrysler MS-6395 certified for your warranty.
Mobil 1 wasn't for years because of politics. It is now back since Stellantis came to be and the politics of FCA (Fiat/Ferrari/Shell relationship) went bye bye. So he's good to go.

Funny, though. My dealership offered Mobil 1 oil changes even when not MS6395 certified. Why? Because their customers liked it and M1 always blew that standard into the weeds. Among OEM standards, MS6395 is low hanging fruit. Any mass marketed SAE SP oil in 0w20 would easily meet that standard, even if not certified.

I've never heard or read about one single case of Mobil 1 oil changes causing warranty denial by FCA due to not being MS6395 certified. Nor have I heard of any other proper spec/weight SAE certified oil causing a denial, either.

But this is moot now as I don't know of a major brand oil that doesn't carry it. Mobil 1 was the only one, even though their lower-tier oils like Mobil Super Synthetic did still carry it. Lol!

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
MS-6395 spec was never a high hurdle to meet when plain Valvoline conventional oil meets it. The main issue is that it is a 2 year certification process that is more procedural than technical and many oil companies never felt the need in obtaining the cert.

Be hard pressed to find a verifiable instance of a oil related failed engine where both correct grade and current API spec was used but lacked the MS-6395 cert.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Like I said, it is your baby. I completely understand why you have a preferred oil.

And for whoever said they wanted a documented difference, just look at the Product Data Sheet. Anyone who hangs around Bitog should know about those. I've not found a store shelf oil with a higher flash point or lower pour point than Mobil 1 EP. It likely has a lower Noack number, as well. Why? because it simply has more PAO, or true synthetic base stock in it. PAO handles higher heat and flows at colder temps. In other words, it does better at the extremes. Will my 3.6 ever see conditions where that comes into play. Likely not. But I like that the oil is capable. So it goes in my crank case whenever possible. On top of that, Exxon Mobil is one of the world's leaders in the development and manufacture of high end true synthetic fluids. (I don't care what the courts have said. Group III is highly refined dino oil. Good as it is, it is NOT what I personally would define as a true synthetic.)

Pennzoil Platinum, which everyone loves, and which I do think is a very good oil, has about the lowest flash point of any 0w20 I've seen (204 Centigrade) and its pour point isn't as low. Is it good enough? Yep. But you paid a lot of money for that Jeep. You chose the color of your Jeep. Nobody bitches. So you choose the oil, and then here comes the preaching/bitching.

Btw, the Mobil 1 EP pour point is -54 degrees, which is a whopping -65.2 Fahrenheit. It's flash point is 235 C, or 455 degrees F. Some get close on either end, but none except maybe Amsoil Signature compares on both ends of the spectrum. So why don't I care for Amsoil? 3 reasons. 1. Their marketing scheme turns me off. 2. Exxon Mobil makes some of their true synthetic base oils. 3. I can walk right into Wally World and grab M1 EP at a better price than Amsoil Signature. (5 quart jugs are in short supply, but my local WM currently has 1 quart bottles in abundance.)

So there's the data that makes me like M1 EP.

You really want to give someone some butthurt? Tell them you like the shiny silver bottles and the cool graphics on the front.

But they are right in this. The other oils they mentioned are all fine and the Pentastar is pretty easy on oil. But it is your choice.

As for Walmart, I'm not sure why the short supply. I checked my local Autozone and Advance Auto and they both have it. Plenty of it. So it must be just Wallyworld that has some kind of issue. Even the Mobil 1 oils they have in stock are in short supply. So it appears you aren't alone in your preference for Mobil 1.
Thank you for such a thorough and thoughtful response.

I have not found the Mobile 1 EP at AutoZone or other chain stores locally for the Walmart prices. I found some but they were the $45 price range that Amazon had them (found them online and could pick up in store, have yet to see any when I actually walk in).

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for such a thorough and thoughtful response.

I have not found the Mobile 1 EP at AutoZone or other chain stores locally for the Walmart prices. I found some but they were the $45 price range that Amazon had them (found them online and could pick up in store, have yet to see any when I actually walk in).
Thanks!

Yep, the single quarts at Wallyworld add up to about the same, too. But I do think there is a rebate right now and there might be a bundle in one of the stores that includes a filter. Not sure. But the rebate might get it down to the Walmart price.

I do agree with others that if you can't find it, the other oils are still outstanding performers and would do the job well until Walmart gets their supply woes figured out. While I've mostly run Mobil 1 EP or AP, I've done a run of Pennzoil Ultra and two with Shell Rotella Gas truck and the UOA's showed them to do well. The other oils people have suggested are all solid performers, as well. I like Valvoline, too!

Another that I'd look at which can be sometimes found in specialty shops is Redline. It also has a high percentage of PAO base stock and is known for keeping engines exceptionally clean. But it ain't cheap. I haven't priced it, but I'd expect it to be in the $50 range for 5 quarts or maybe a little higher.
Sponsored