Sponsored

Hard time finding my favorite oil

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
A couple months ago I couldnt find oil filters for my Honda (checked 5 walmarts and a few auto part shops). Now I cant fine any Mobile 1 0w20 Extended Performance. Actually I cant find ANY Mobile 1 0w20 5qt at Walmarts aside from a random jug of Advanced Fuel Economy. Some auto parts chain stores had it but at $40 whereas Walmart is usually $25. Amazon doesnt have it either.

I managed to get the Extended Performance High Mileage, but my JT is only at 46k miles not the 75k the oil is intended for. I do have a jug of Valvoline Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic from before Stellantis said Mobile 1 was fine to use. Which of the 2 should I use ?

Also curious if you guys have been seeing less availability of oil in your areas
Sponsored

Last edited:

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
I's this one of those trick threads to get people to argue?

If it were me I would use whatever you have, or the cheapest option of Mobil1, Valvoline or Shell/Pennzoil.

The required certifications "MS whatever" are recommendations from the manufacturer that have probably been written in via a large donation from said oil company or is the only oil company the car manufacturer tested, while other oil companies may meet requirements but weren't tested. All engines will still run and have it's warranty as long as you change the oil at the recommended intervals with the recommended weights.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I's this one of those trick threads to get people to argue?

If it were me I would use whatever you have, or the cheapest option of Mobil1, Valvoline or Shell/Pennzoil.

The required certifications "MS whatever" are recommendations from the manufacturer that have probably been written in via a large donation from said oil company or is the only oil company the car manufacturer tested, while other oil companies may meet requirements but weren't tested. All engines will still run and have it's warranty as long as you change the oil at the recommended intervals with the recommended weights.
I understand that. And a couple oil changes with a different oil shouldn't matter. I'm just a creature of habit. If I can get my favorite oil, great. If not, can I get a similar oil in the same brand? If not, work down the list. This was also a thread to see if anyone else is seeing less of certain oils around.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I understand that. And a couple oil changes with a different oil shouldn't matter. I'm just a creature of habit. If I can get my favorite oil, great. If not, can I get a similar oil in the same brand? If not, work down the list. This was also a thread to see if anyone else is seeing less of certain oils around.
You want a similar oil to Mobil 1…. That might take some homework. Mobil 1 is a stage 4 oil,…meaning it went through an added filtration from the usual stage 3 oils. Last year or so ago I was using Mobil 3000, (stage 3) full synthetic and thought I’d like to upgrade to a better oil. Mobil 1 was the upgrade BUT after talking with the Mobil rep at Miller Supply up here south of Calgary, he explained Mobil 1 is a stage 4 oil,..meaning the 4th filtration has taken the waxes out.
I thought, ok, I’ll try it. Mind you, I was only testing it out in my 2017 Tacoma at the time and what I found using that oil was that the engine “ticks” were louder, my wife even noticed it. I switched back to Mobil 3000 and the “ticking” went away, or became normal again to what I was use to. Did that engine need the waxes?? Maybe. Do you need a stage 4 oil? I don’t think so.

I use Amsoil, it’s a stage 3 oil. (Not promoting it) Use what you want. The focus you should look at are the designations on the back. If it has the SN and plus, you’re good. If it has the S”M”, it’s the most modern technology in that oil.

To find other “similar” oils is to also buy the quarts, pour off samples in little bottles and send them in for oil analysis. Cross check the numbers and additives to see if they’re similar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You want a similar oil to Mobil 1…. That might take some homework. Mobil 1 is a stage 4 oil,…meaning it went through an added filtration from the usual stage 3 oils. Last year or so ago I was using Mobil 3000, (stage 3) full synthetic and thought I’d like to upgrade to a better oil. Mobil 1 was the upgrade BUT after talking with the Mobil rep at Miller Supply up here south of Calgary, he explained Mobil 1 is a stage 4 oil,..meaning the 4th filtration has taken the waxes out.
I thought, ok, I’ll try it. Mind you, I was only testing it out in my 2017 Tacoma at the time and what I found using that oil was that the engine “ticks” were louder, my wife even noticed it. I switched back to Mobil 3000 and the “ticking” went away, or became normal again to what I was use to. Did that engine need the waxes?? Maybe. Do you need a stage 4 oil? I don’t think so.

I use Amsoil, it’s a stage 3 oil. (Not promoting it) Use what you want. The focus you should look at are the designations on the back. If it has the SN and plus, you’re good. If it has the S”M”, it’s the most modern technology in that oil.

To find other “similar” oils is to also buy the quarts, pour off samples in little battles and send them in for oil analysis. Cross check the numbers and additives to see if they’re similar.

Thank you for your input. I did not notice a difference between the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and the Mobile 1 Extended Performance. I do not think I'll notice a difference between the High Mileage Mobile 1 variant, from what I understand the additives in it are supposed to help with seals and gaskets. The only 0W-20 Mobil 1 oil I can find is the Advanced Fuel Economy stuff.

Of course it could all be snake oil and blowing smoke.
https://oilsadvisor.com/mobil-1-high-mileage-vs-extended-performance-vs-advanced-fuel-economy/

I can't find any information on Stage 3 or Stage 4 oils and their filtration.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The Owner's Manual recommends Pennzoil 0W20. The 5 quart jugs of Platinum and Ultra Platinum are both available on Amazon.

Any of the new containers of 0W20 you have on hand should be okay to use.

riplipper

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Deal of the century at Costco.
Just bought synthetic oil for 26 bucks......for TWO 5 quart jugs

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Thank you for your input. I did not notice a difference between the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and the Mobile 1 Extended Performance. I do not think I'll notice a difference between the High Mileage Mobile 1 variant, from what I understand the additives in it are supposed to help with seals and gaskets. The only 0W-20 Mobil 1 oil I can find is the Advanced Fuel Economy stuff.

Of course it could all be snake oil and blowing smoke.
https://oilsadvisor.com/mobil-1-high-mileage-vs-extended-performance-vs-advanced-fuel-economy/

I can't find any information on Stage 3 or Stage 4 oils and their filtration.
I got the info about the stage 3 and 4 filtration from the Mobil rep at Miller Supply. I had followed up on the stages with my Amsoil rep. He called Amsoil Tech line and enquired. Tech line confirmed their stage 3 system. I will call the Mobil rep today to confirm the information and where one could read up on it. I’ll post again what I find.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I got the info about the stage 3 and 4 filtration from the Mobil rep at Miller Supply. I had followed up on the stages with my Amsoil rep. He called Amsoil Tech line and enquired. Tech line confirmed their stage 3 system. I will call the Mobil rep today to confirm the information and where one could read up on it. I’ll post again what I find.
Talked with Kyle Pearce with Mobil at Miller Supply in Alberta. Yes, he confirmed Mobil 1 is a “group 4” oil meaning it is a pure synthetic and group 4 is the wax is removed. Group 3 oil is a synthetic with a petroleum base that contains wax.

Mobil 1 is recommended where the vehicle is working in extreme cold climates as the pour rate is faster not having the wax in it. Wax (group 3 oil) helps with thickening the viscosity and cold pour rate is slower. If you don’t live in extremely cold climate, Mobil 1 may not be beneficial especially in hot climates where viscosity maters.

He said for you to contact your local Mobil Exxon rep who would be more than happy to talk with you about all this stuff. As for finding goggle info on group3-4 oil, there may not be any to find to read up on but your local oil reps have that info they can share.

We also talked about the oil shortage and he said they are on a back order of dozens of barrels. But not only that, filters are becoming scarce. He strongly advised if you can find your oil, get more and buy extra filters too.

Kyle sent me this PDF so you can see what Mobil products are spec’d for you vehicles.

Attachments

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Picked up a couple 5 quart jugs of SuperTech 0w20 this evening, $20 each, price has gone up a couple bucks.

Sponsored

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Omg another oil thread.
Number one debated topic on any motorized forum.

My advise, if still under power train warranty, at minimum OEM oil filter.
If doing your own oil and filter change, hold onto that receipt.
For oil, stick with recommended weights.
Deviate and you open up warranty denial possibilities.
Do you need that fight?
Off warranty, use whatever makes you feel good. Just do your changes
on time or early, and your golden.

Let the debate begin….🤭

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Why are you so attached to Mobil 1? Just go grab another brand that meets the requirements.

Sounds like you might be a victim of marketing.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
There is no detriment to running a high mileage oil early.

Unless you are running on the margins of a an extended oil change, the need for an extended performance type oil is over blown.

Pick any MS-6395 spec oil and you will be fine.

CFLgladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Ya my understanding was that back in the day synthetics were all group 4. Mobil 1 was a 4. Then Mobil 1 started getting a lot cheaper and people found out they had switched back to a Petro blend also sometimes called a synthetic blend that is actually group 3 but sold as a synthetic. A lot of consumers got upset being tricked but commercially it was a success in sales so other synthetic oil manufacturers started selling cheaper group 3 "synthetics" to get in on the market. I only buy group 4 but only because I think the small cost is worth it, knowing full well a lower cost alternative would probably work just as well.
Sponsored