First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
Ya my understanding was that back in the day synthetics were all group 4. Mobil 1 was a 4. Then Mobil 1 started getting a lot cheaper and people found out they had switched back to a Petro blend also sometimes called a synthetic blend that is actually group 3 but sold as a synthetic. A lot of consumers got upset being tricked but commercially it was a success in sales so other synthetic oil manufacturers started selling cheaper group 3 "synthetics" to get in on the market. I only buy group 4 but only because I think the small cost is worth it, knowing full well a lower cost alternative would probably work just as well.
There is also a group 3+ that is as good as the group 4. Shell/Penzoil’s GTL oils(Gas to Liquid) are in this category. It is a very good oil and really provides all the benefits of a Group 4/5.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
We also talked about the oil shortage and he said they are on a back order of dozens of barrels. But not only that, filters are becoming scarce. He strongly advised if you can find your oil, get more and buy extra filters too.
Noticed that too. Couldn't find a filter for my Honda for 6 mo. I probably COULD have ordered one online but it bothered me locally nothing was available

Omg another oil thread.
This one is on availability

Why are you so attached to Mobil 1? Just go grab another brand that meets the requirements.

Sounds like you might be a victim of marketing.
I never saw any Mobil 1 "marketing". I read up on various oils, geeked out on specs and whatnot. Just felt better with it. I have used other oils before. From whatever the quick-lube or mechanic had, to Pennzoil when FCA said Mobil 1 was not fit for their engines. I prefer Mobil 1 and its a personal choice, nothing more. I have a spare jug of Pennzoil. I have seen where other oils do "better" in specific possibly-relevant tests, don't care. Same with gun oil, high-temp silicon grease for motorcycles works as well as the fancy stuff, and sometimes the fancy stuff gunks up your gun (*ribbit*), yet I like WeaponShield, though I have used many others.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Ya my understanding was that back in the day synthetics were all group 4. Mobil 1 was a 4. Then Mobil 1 started getting a lot cheaper and people found out they had switched back to a Petro blend also sometimes called a synthetic blend that is actually group 3 but sold as a synthetic. A lot of consumers got upset being tricked but commercially it was a success in sales so other synthetic oil manufacturers started selling cheaper group 3 "synthetics" to get in on the market. I only buy group 4 but only because I think the small cost is worth it, knowing full well a lower cost alternative would probably work just as well.
That was Castrol, not Mobil, that started the synthetic blend. Mobil complained about Castrol over the marketing of their blend. Mobil just followed in their footsteps after losing the complaint.

Either way, there's nothing practical you are getting from sticking with Group 4 over Group 3 other than the unnecessary hit to your wallet, especially on Jeeps.

CFLgladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
That was Castrol, not Mobil, that started the synthetic blend. Mobil complained about Castrol over the marketing of their blend. Mobil just followed in their footsteps after losing the complaint.

Either way, there's nothing practical you are getting from sticking with Group 4 over Group 3 other than the unnecessary hit to your wallet, especially on Jeeps.
Thanks for the clarification. I agree it's probably not needed but 6 quarts of oil once a year isn't going to bankrupt me. I've been playing with performance cars for a while so I just remembered the fall out from guys who were getting good deals on Walmart oil and then started getting bad oil analysis back and found out about it. Like I said I don't have a problem with the oil, just don't call it synthetic and try marketing tricks on consumers. And that applies to all manufacturers.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Thanks for the clarification. I agree it's probably not needed but 6 quarts of oil once a year isn't going to bankrupt me. I've been playing with performance cars for a while so I just remembered the fall out from guys who were getting good deals on Walmart oil and then started getting bad oil analysis back and found out about it. Like I said I don't have a problem with the oil, just don't call it synthetic and try marketing tricks on consumers. And that applies to all manufacturers.
I think even $25/5qts is a reasonable price (what I usually pay for Mobile 1 Extended Performance)

Sponsored

Big John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M715x2, 92 YJ, 20 Gladiator
My Gladiator takes only Synthetic 0W-40 oil. I change my oil approximately 5 times a year. Presently I am using Mobil 1 but each oil change is 15 quarts and I change it every 5,000 miles so it does get expensive. I noticed that Wal-Mart sells its own brand (Super Tech?) and it is much cheaper. Can anyone tell me any history of the Super Tech? Is it a quality oil?

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
My Gladiator takes only Synthetic 0W-40 oil. I change my oil approximately 5 times a year. Presently I am using Mobil 1 but each oil change is 15 quarts and I change it every 5,000 miles so it does get expensive. I noticed that Wal-Mart sells its own brand (Super Tech?) and it is much cheaper. Can anyone tell me any history of the Super Tech? Is it a quality oil?
15 quarts a change? It only has a 5 quart capacity. What are you doing with the other 10?

If you're using 3x the oil each time, of course it's going to be way more expensive. You might be able to save cash by just using the 5 quarts it needs.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
As often as you're changing it, any full synthetic oil will be fine.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Warren oil makes SuperTech for Walmart, from what I have read it is decent oil, been using it for a while in my vehicles mostly 0w20 full synthetic.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
A couple months ago I couldnt find oil filters for my Honda (checked 5 walmarts and a few auto part shops). Now I cant fine any Mobile 1 0w20 Extended Performance. Actually I cant find ANY Mobile 1 0w20 5qt at Walmarts aside from a random jug of Advanced Fuel Economy. Some auto parts chain stores had it but at $40 whereas Walmart is usually $25. Amazon doesnt have it either.

I managed to get the Extended Performance High Mileage, but my JT is only at 46k miles not the 75k the oil is intended for. I do have a jug of Valvoline Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic from before Stellantis said Mobile 1 was fine to use. Which of the 2 should I use ?

Also curious if you guys have been seeing less availability of oil in your areas
I'm with you. I like Mobil 1 EP best. It's your Jeep, so do exactly what you want with the oil.

We're seeing slim pickings around here, too, for that oil. I recommend buying 2 jugs when you find it, to cover your next change.

I recently used Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 as a back-up. It doesn't have as much PAO content as EP, but it has more than any other store shelf synthetic I've found, most of which have none.

I'll be looking for EP for my next change which is in about 2k miles.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Much to do about nothing. If it meets the spec, it's all good.

I understand that oil research is a hobby for some. Have a great time.

Either way. Clean oil changed on time that meets the spec and your jeep will outlast you.

Willing to believe that all the hooplah is worth worrying about but I have yet to see actual evidence that it makes a measurable difference. Prove me wrong and I'll send you a gift card for a quart of Valvoline dino.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
If you want to spend money on the best, Amsoil Signature in 0W20.

If you want a good normally priced Synthetic, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W20.

If you want inexpensive, but still a great oil, Supertech/ Amazon/ Kirkland made by Warren.

My opinion formed after years on Bobistheoilguy, Project Farm's YT tests, and general research.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette

If you want inexpensive, but still a great oil, Supertech/ Amazon/ Kirkland made by Warren.

My opinion formed after years on Bobistheoilguy, Project Farm's YT tests, and general research.
Project Farm. :LOL:

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant

All of these choices will yield similar results.

Any differences will likely be seen (if ever) at a mileage that will likely never be experienced.

I'll adjust my opinion when someone (anyone) can point to a single case where there is a measurable difference. Actual measured difference. Not opinions.

Not forum blather or YouTube clickbait.

I like bobistheoilguy and project farm etc.

Show me a jeep using Costco oil that blew up in a blaze of glory and maybe I'll buy some amsoil.

Till then, probably penzoil. Cuz it's priced reasonably. And close by.
Sponsored