First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 22 NX350 F-Sport
Occupation
Commercial HVAC
If its a daily driver .. and no rock crawling ... Mojave ...

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
They're both awesome, highly capable editions of the Gladiator. I went in set on a Rubicon but after evaluating my specific needs and test driving both, I went with the Mojave. We spend a lot of time in New Mexico on fed land so the Mojave suspension is more valuable to me. The seats are a bit more comfortable imo, and the road manners are unlike any Jeep I've owned to date.

If you spend more time crawling and need a front locker then go with the Rubi.

I think either one will accommodate a RTT without issue. The Mojave suspension isn't quite as soft and prone to sagging as it seems and the Mojave group on FB is full of overlanders.

That said, the Rubicon is a beast. Do you currently get a lot of use out of the front locker and 4:1 case on your JLUR? One note, the Gladiator has quite a bit more rear overhang that makes it less of a rock crawler in stock form. If you're planning to lift it and run 37+ or bigger tires it's not as big of a deal, but if you want to run stock or 35s, which both trims can run stock, then the overhang may hinder the Rubi upgrades.

OP
OP
jeepfreakedc

jeepfreakedc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Ask, and you shall receive.....

No noticeable difference in behavior whatsoever. The Gladiator as a rock crawler in stock form makes no sense at all. I drive at very fun speeds fully loaded in the Mojave in all types of terrains and it swallows it up similar to my previous Raptor. If you're interested in rock-crawling, TRUE rock-crawling, keep/get a Rubi Wrangler. I took my Mojave out on a trail in SD county this past weekend and the Mojave suspension articulated over all obstacles the same way a heavily-modded JLU did. Neither vehicle was held up by any obstacles...
3EF154A0-D0CF-4557-B033-521AF1957331.jpeg
7AF9C8A1-3142-443D-86AD-3AD9C8418C7A.jpeg
BCB8DB18-AF18-43CB-854A-2A240184F1A4.jpeg
F18FDA2B-E875-43BF-8E1B-D01AAB283053.jpeg
Nice! That’s exactly what I was looking for. Thanks brother!

OP
OP
jeepfreakedc

jeepfreakedc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
They're both awesome, highly capable editions of the Gladiator. I went in set on a Rubicon but after evaluating my specific needs and test driving both, I went with the Mojave. We spend a lot of time in New Mexico on fed land so the Mojave suspension is more valuable to me. The seats are a bit more comfortable imo, and the road manners are unlike any Jeep I've owned to date.

If you spend more time crawling and need a front locker then go with the Rubi.

I think either one will accommodate a RTT without issue. The Mojave suspension isn't quite as soft and prone to sagging as it seems and the Mojave group on FB is full of overlanders.

That said, the Rubicon is a beast. Do you currently get a lot of use out of the front locker and 4:1 case on your JLUR? One note, the Gladiator has quite a bit more rear overhang that makes it less of a rock crawler in stock form. If you're planning to lift it and run 37+ or bigger tires it's not as big of a deal, but if you want to run stock or 35s, which both trims can run stock, then the overhang may hinder the Rubi upgrades.
I go up to the mountains whenever I get a chance (unfortunately not nearly enough), and I’ve used the lockers and sway bar disconnect a few times, but I’m pretty sure I could have made it through trails without using them. The break over angle and longer length with the bed is definitely a little concerning, but I think I’ll still be good for pretty much everything around here.

Sponsored

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer

No noticeable difference in behavior whatsoever. The Gladiator as a rock crawler in stock form makes no sense at all. I drive at very fun speeds fully loaded in the Mojave in all types of terrains and it swallows it up similar to my previous Raptor. If you're interested in rock-crawling, TRUE rock-crawling, keep/get a Rubi Wrangler. I took my Mojave out on a trail in SD county this past weekend and the Mojave suspension articulated over all obstacles the same way a heavily-modded JLU did. Neither vehicle was held up by any obstacles...
Where is this? Looks nice. We are also in SD.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
The only thing not addressed is engine choice here. If you want the EcoD then you have to get the ruby, if you are ok with a Gasser (mini van motor) then Mojave is pretty good.

DirtGadgets

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Carpenter/Fabricator/Software Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I've got an 18 JLUR and love it, but I bought a roof top tent and the mounting options aren't great. I've been considering a Gladiator for awhile and finally decided to get a Gladiator and do a half or full rack on the bed and mount the tent on that. Plus, having a truck bed would be key. I loved test driving the Mojave, but I'm wondering how the shocks would do with a roof top tent mounted. Any pros, cons or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here's my perspective on this question from another thread. I wouldn't buy a Mojave again, or a Rubicon for that matter. I'd go with a no frills trim level with the Eco-Diesel then I'd do all the other upgrades myself... 1-ton axles with manual Ox Lockers, 40 inch tires on 20 inch wheels, armor, sound system, all new long-arm bracketing and linkage, coil overs, etc.

If you frequently go crawling 1-ton axles are a must. If you're carrying a lot of gear—recovery gear, tent, fridge, tools, provisions, water, fuel, spare tires, etc.—then 4-point weigh your rig with all the gear and order custom springs.

OP
OP
jeepfreakedc

jeepfreakedc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Here's my perspective on this question from another thread. I wouldn't buy a Mojave again, or a Rubicon for that matter. I'd go with a no frills trim level with the Eco-Diesel then I'd do all the other upgrades myself... 1-ton axles with manual Ox Lockers, 40 inch tires on 20 inch wheels, armor, sound system, all new long-arm bracketing and linkage, coil overs, etc.

If you frequently go crawling 1-ton axles are a must. If you're carrying a lot of gear—recovery gear, tent, fridge, tools, provisions, water, fuel, spare tires, etc.—then 4-point weigh your rig with all the gear and order custom springs.
Yea, I'm with you. If I had unlimited funds, I'd do all that stuff for sure. So, if you wanna throw some bones my way, I will definitely do that!

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeepfreakedc

jeepfreakedc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link

Thanks brother! You helped make my decision an easy one.

845F6283-8028-4828-9412-FE28755233E3.jpeg

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Rubicon no questions asked for me at least. While the shocks on the Mojave are super sweet the after market counter parts are better as they are adjustable. If you really want those shocks buy them after. There's even another level up from them in Fox Factory shocks if you really get into the chop. It's a little pricey but it takes 2 min to change a shock out.

I wouldn't ever get into a situation where the extra Mojave welds mattered.

GladiSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 08 S2000 CR, 08 S2000, 22 392 XR Order
Build Thread
Link

Swaybird

First Name
Swayze
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Buy a Rubicon, it’s classic, it’s the flagship and it will hold its value the best. They are relatively around the same price but I think that you get a little more with the Rubicon. Steel rear bumper is standard on the Rubi as I think the Mojave is plastic. The Rubicon includes the front locker, sway-bar disconnect and rock rail extensions to the bed overhang.

The Mojave suspension is super dope and I hear is a better ride than the Rubicon but front locker and sway-bar disconnect and the added reinforcements made me buy the Rubicon.

On a side note, I think the Rubicon hood is more attractive than the Mojave hood to be honest. It will work for the 392 but looks silly on the V6 Mojave.

Last edited:

Dmc

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Retired
I went with the Mojave. Mostly for the ride. Mine is my DD and will see the majority of its time on the pavement. Off road will primarily just be unpaved roads.

I do plan on taking it on a few off-road trips, but No rock crawling for me. The Mojave is much more than I will ever use.

Not that the Rubicon is a great option if you would use a front locker. They do sell quite a few down here without a rock in sight.
Sponsored