First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
That picture was taken at Teklanika Campground in Denali NP. At that time our 2 flexible solar panels on the roof of our camper were dying and that’s the reason we broke out the foldable panel.

Right now we have replaced both flexible panels with 2, 100 watt Renogy fixed panels that charge 2, 100 AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries through a Blue Seas Charge Controller. With this set up we should be able to charge everything we need indefinitely if we get some sun but will also take the foldable panel as it doesn’t take up any room.
Battle Born batteries....built in Reno. I can go pick them up from the factory. I'm in Reno. Exactly what I was looking at. Got any links for your set up?
Sponsored

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Hot Water:
EccoTemp L5 Tankless Water Heater - This isnt a product I have researched that much but it seemed simple enough but I have seen some horrible reviews of it.

Might need a shower area.
Here's my shower setup below. The EccoTemp L5 is fine for the purchase price. It chews thru water very quickly and with the number of humans you have in your family a 30 gal water tank would be the bare minimum IMO for a 2 nighter with showers and drinking water.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/shower-hot-water-on-board-system.35655/

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link

Hank_

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Mojave, 1941 Willys
Occupation
Ford and Jeep warranty claim analyst.
I am looking at getting a camper too eventually. The quality, capability and confidence is unbeatable to me. I don’t want to have to set up showers, bathrooms and tents. Deal with bad weather and I definitely don’t want to deal with breaking down camp every time I want to explore. Most of the time, we set up a base camp and head out on daily excursions. In the rare instance I wanted to head out and not haul a camper a ground tent would do just fine. Good luck in your quest to make the family happy. It’s not always easy to do.

Hank

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Like you I have 3 kids that go camping with me (wife refuses to camp unless it’s at the beach...lol), so I needed a larger tent but want it to fit the Gladiator bed size.

Almost went with 23 Zero Walkabout 62” tent with Annex but it’s on back order. Seemed to be the largest tent that met my requirements.

Ordered a Roam Vagabond with Annex. Not the XL model.

Since my youngest is 5, I’ll try to sleep him perpendicular (mostly across the tops of his 7 and 13 year old brothers since they are shorter than me) as a temporary solution.

But, as the kids grow (or tent fighting ensues), I’ll plan buy the Disco Bed Kido Bunk and place it behind the ladder on the floor of the annex for one or two of the boys:

4610B602-7441-4FC7-9B03-1948F07FBF4B.jpeg

This way I can sleep up to 5 people, and still have room leftover on the floor of the annex to stand and change clothes. And it will fit over the bed of the Gladiator with no overhang. I’m mounting it to a custom round tube bed rack.
Hope the above helps...

Sponsored

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Had a talk with the wife today.
We don't have the budget for a camper to tow around a few times a year and I really don't want to be left with all the maintenance and upkeep on it, not to mention having to move it when cutting grass etc.
She said today (I'm telling you all she changes her mind like crazy) that the rtt would be ok as long as it was comfortable. She was concerned with being able to take our doggo's. (Yorkie, corgi and golden retriever). I found they sell small tents for dogs. So I figured that would work in a pinch (or even a single person tent).

So I've got order a trail rail asap, probably be tomorrow or this evening. Then the bed rack, then the rtt. I'm still looking hard at the vagabond xl w/annex.
I'll have to hammer out details on shower, fridge, electrical and toiletries.
I found a "flushable" toilet on Amazon, my youngest has autism and she is very tiny and very particular about all that.
I was thinking a separate pull out shelter for shower/toilet. I dunno. Spit Allina there. What do you guys have in that department?

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Hope the above helps...
I was thinking the same thing but my oldest daughter would probably take the annex area (maybe a cot setup), wife and two youngest in the rtt and me in the bed of the truck. (Softopper makes a cool add on tent setup for like $200).

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I'm still looking hard at the vagabond w/annex but is there another rtt I should be looking at in similar price range? I feel like there is an ocean of products and it's just hard to check everyone out.
And it never fails you buy x and people will say "you probably should have gotten y" lol

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I taught my girls to poop and pee in the woods or the side of the road when necessary at a very young age. Sorry no help. Although I bought my wife a Cabela's camp seat/crapper and out a outhouse tent over it. Makes it easier for her to go in the middle of the night. Not having to use a toilet or vault style 3 campsites down. Works pretty well with two plastic bags a 5 gallons bucket from Home Depot and a good couple scoop fils of good kitty litter.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I taught my girls to poop and pee in the woods or the side of the road when necessary at a very young age. Sorry no help. Although I bought my wife a Cabela's camp seat/crapper and out a outhouse tent over it. Makes it easier for her to go in the middle of the night. Not having to use a toilet or vault style 3 campsites down. Works pretty well with two plastic bags a 5 gallons bucket from Home Depot and a good couple scoop fils of good kitty litter.
I saw a flushable camp toilet on Amazon. Seemed close enough to home that I don't think anyone would freak out. My girls are way too high maintenance lol. I just got them at ages 6 and 7 to play outside for a few hours at a time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I got a rtt and offroad trailer.
Jeep Gladiator Help me get setup: Updates! 20210616_095404

Jeep Gladiator Help me get setup: Updates! 20210616_095314
Jeep Gladiator Help me get setup: Updates! 20210616_095305

So now I need to figure out how I want to setup a kitchen type pull out.
I'm also not sure about wiring. I saw someone on yt had a switch panel setup. "Lights" "Hot water" etc. I thought that made sense but I'm not sure about one aspect.
Let's say I tap into the power from the trailer wiring harness (think it is 7 pin) and run my switch panel. If I unhook the truck it's all dead (obviously). How could I wire something like that to then run off a jackery (w/solar) or similar?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I'm not an expert by any means but do play with it a bit.
I would suggest that you run your charge from the truck, via the 7 pin harness to a BCDC charge controller (Renogy and Redarc make them among others). From there you can run your lighting and fridge and also plug your solar panel(s) into the charge controller to help keep your battery's charge up.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
for clarification, I dont forsee us running anything crazy like a coffee maker, rice maker, hair dryers etc. We havent even been out yet and my kids are already saying "but what about air conditioning?" :CWL: From what I have looked into I would need a gasoline generator to make that work with the least amount of "fuss" but I think it would just be easier to bring a small portable a/c and camp at a spot that has electrical setups in the hotter months.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I'm not an expert by any means but do play with it a bit.
I would suggest that you run your charge from the truck, via the 7 pin harness to a BCDC charge controller (Renogy and Redarc make them among others). From there you can run your lighting and fridge and also plug your solar panel(s) into the charge controller to help keep your battery's charge up.
so you mean (pardon the crude visual)
Truck-->trailer harness---> (trailer side of setup) Charge controller---->Lights, fridge etc
____________________Solar panels ^ (into controller)

ETA:
A quick search of that charge controller, looks perfect. So could I run that to a jackery or similar
Vehicle power goes to it via the trailer harness to keep things charged when connected but can add solar into it to charge while truck is disconnected. I just need a battery bank of some sort for it to maintain. am I getting it?
Sponsored