Sponsored

Honest Conversation: How would a 4XE JT compare to the diesel?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Well the first 4XE Wranglers are shipping as I type this, lots of buzz around them, but precious little 1st-hand information on how they will perform out in the world (especially towing).
EPA numbers are out, 22mi on the battery alone + 20mpg avg for the hybrid. It seems to be a winner on short-distance life. Have yet to confirm that it's actual range is better than the Ecodiesel, however.
Reason I post this, Jeep has said they will 'electrify' everything in their fleet so is it safe to assume they'll just stick this 2.0L hybrid deal into the Gladiator? And would it be successful enough for Jeep to stop offering the 3.0L? I saw that GM is going to discontinue the diesel in the Canyon/Colorado.
Sponsored

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I think it would all depend on how well the 4xe and diesel sell. If they axe the diesel, doesn't that hurt their EPA ratings? Isn't there something that states that it must be by a certain number by a certain year?

Honestly, the diesel is way better suited for the JT than the 3.6 is.

Hamandcamo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
Occupation
Actor
I think it would all depend on how well the 4xe and diesel sell. If they axe the diesel, doesn't that hurt their EPA ratings? Isn't there something that states that it must be by a certain number by a certain year?

Honestly, the diesel is way better suited for the JT than the 3.6 is.
Spicy take, care to ellaborate?

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I just wish they could find their way to keep the diesel and/or 4xE and un f their tow ratings.

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Spicy take, care to ellaborate?
After driving a Sport S with the 3.6, and then moving to the diesel, the drivability is night and day. Haven't towed with the diesel yet, but will soon. Did tow my aunt's 22' Sea Ray and that wasn't great in the gasser--constantly searching for the right gear so much that I went to manual override. I have a feeling that the diesel wouldn't need to do this.

I can 100% say that I'm more inclined to want to drive my JT than before (and even before I was super giddy all of the time). The sound of a diesel, the turbo, the feel of the throttle (granted I have an iDrive) is all just way better than the 3.6. It's as if this engine was made exactly for this platform.

Sponsored

Matt84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Well they had originally said they wouldn’t put the 2.0 in the Gladiator, so maybe they will build a plug in hybrid with the ecodiesel base (I know this is unrealistic, but it would be awesome)

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well they say that the 4xe trim on the JL added 500 lbs. That's now a compact SUV that tips the scales at 5,000ish pounds. Ooof.

So if they do a 4xe JT, you're looking at what, 5,500 lbs? And the max GVWR is what, 6,350? That does not leave much room for payload or towing capacity. We all know that the diesel payload and towing is neutered by the chassis and dimensions of the Gladiator. I can only imagine that the 4xe will be worse.

Range? Diesel all day every day. The 4xe only has 21 miles of electric range in the JL, which means it'll be 20 or less in the JT. That's not even enough to get me to the office in the mornings. And then what do you have to fall back upon after that? A 2.0L gas engine? The one that they don't sell in the JT already because it overheats when towing? The one that had TSBs and recalls in the JL for engine fires? The one with coolant lines running under the vehicle that are known to leak, dual coolant reservoirs, 48v wiring everywhere, direct injection that soots up the valves? The one that achieves worse fuel economy in the real world than the 3.6L Pentastar? No thanks....I'll pass.

I see the 4xe as a novelty. It shines and sparkles, and looks cool on paper, and intrigues people. And maybe that's the point. But after living with it for a year, I think most guys will get sick and tired of it and wish that they'd spent that extra money on a real powertrain. Technology has advanced rapidly in the last 120 years. Rapidly and radically. But internal combustion power for cars has stayed exactly the same. And there's a reason for that. It's because there's nothing better.

OP
OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya I really don’t get the ‘plug-in’ part? If you drive it each day in regular hybrid mode, at the end of the day is the battery depleted & you must charge? OR is that only if you use the battery-only mode & draw it down?
If you set out pulling a camper & drive 300 miles and there is no charger, will the EV battery run down because the system is working so hard? Or is that part of why it will get terrible mileage since it’s having to work + recharge the EV battery.

Edit: OK some info in the new TFL video here
(86) 4xe on TFL | 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, Unlimited - JLwranglerforums.com
If the EV battery runs down, apparently it runs as a hybrid.
Also noticed the plug will not fit superchargers - why are those not standardized?

Last edited:

MHS JT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT 80th Diesel
Occupation
Aerospace Plant Manager
I'm curious if the system is capable of maintaining the peak torque and hp numbers that are advertised under extended highway towing conditions. The small gas motor by itself would likely need high RPMs to hold speed with a load, and the demand on the electric motor to help out may not be feasible for an extended time period. I have absolutely no first hand knowledge of this though, so I'd be interested in better understanding how these systems performs in these scenarios.

Sponsored

wvuviv30

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Live Sound Engineer - Meerkat Sound
There is no MPG rating for Hybrid mode; which is what most people will operate in.
MPGe (no fuel) is 48 (only good for 22 miles).
MPG (on 2.0T only) is 20.

For me, there is no benefit for the 4xe as I live in a rural area and everything is at least a 15mile drive. My work commute is 150 miles (round trip).

OP
OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no MPG rating for Hybrid mode; which is what most people will operate in.
MPG (on 2.0T only) is 20.
REALLY? Wow that seems like a pretty basic piece of information needed to sell a vehicle like this.
So are you saying the range number of 370 miles is based on the 21 e-miles + 349 miles on the 2.0 By Itself? Does 'hybrid mode' gain mpg or diminish mpg?
I guess I assumed they would post the best mpg you could get from the system 🤷
This makes my head hurt

HeadHurt.PNG

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco BL & Rubi Recon, 99 Miata
Here is my theory. First, they have to start somewhere so the 4xe wrangler was it. The engine in the 4xe is the 2.0 etorque. The 2.0 etorque was always the plan for the 4xe. And by fielding it a few years ago, and offering 4 free services... Guess what? They collected the data to see what kind of electric power they could generate and support for the 4xe in real world daily conditions. The 2.0 etorque Wranglers were a pre-test.

Now Jeep offers a 3.6 etorque. They are doing the same thing. Can the 3.6 etorque produce electricity at an adequate level to power the 4xe Gladiator, Wagoneer, Cherokee, etc. I think they picked the wrangler over the Gladiator due to volume. Also, the Diesel was what a lot of people were asking for in the JT. There was too much risk to introduce two new engines year 2. (Sorry, it's not often you write a sentence where you can feasibly write too, to , two and 2)

I am thinking we will see a 4xe Gladiator no later than 2023, powered by a 3.6 etorque. I also think as they evolve and compete with the other manufacturers they will get better. Think battling a Bronco with the 3.5 liter hybrid out of the F150.

I don't know what impact this will have on Diesel. I don't think Generation 1 of the 4xe platforms will hurt the diesel. But Gen 2 and 3 will probably kill them in the jeeps. Not making a judgment, just thinking realistically.

My Tinfoil Hat Theory!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm curious if the system is capable of maintaining the peak torque and hp numbers that are advertised under extended highway towing conditions. The small gas motor by itself would likely need high RPMs to hold speed with a load, and the demand on the electric motor to help out may not be feasible for an extended time period. I have absolutely no first hand knowledge of this though, so I'd be interested in better understanding how these systems performs in these scenarios.
I think they're advertising it at 470 lb/ft? That's almost certainly the combined output of the electric and gasoline motors and that is not what a person will see while driving except for perhaps rare cases. If the battery is at a full charge and you mash the throttle, I guess you'll get the full bore but after that battery pack (quickly) weakens you're back to a regular run of the mill experience again.

wvuviv30

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Live Sound Engineer - Meerkat Sound
REALLY? Wow that seems like a pretty basic piece of information needed to sell a vehicle like this.
So are you saying the range number of 370 miles is based on the 21 e-miles + 349 miles on the 2.0 By Itself? Does 'hybrid mode' gain mpg or diminish mpg?
I guess I assumed they would post the best mpg you could get from the system 🤷
This makes my head hurt

Jeep Gladiator Honest Conversation: How would a 4XE JT compare to the diesel? HeadHurt.PNG
They Hybrid should help with MPG... but Hybrids are only effective at low speeds.
but 370 mile range and 17.2 gallon fuel tank and that puts the estimated the MPG around 21.5*; which is 1.5 mpg LESS than the standard 2.0T on the same calculations.

*It'll probably increase if you (wall) charge it often and drive shorter distances.
Sponsored