Sponsored

How do Gladiators handle on the highway?

Wyofuy069

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Besides the poor fuel economy and the missing turbo I love my Mojave on the highway. My other vehicle is an x5, so take that for reference.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Besides the poor fuel economy ........

It's a tall flat brick up in the air - you expected better? LOL - naw, Jeep people know better.

Will a truck from another company get better MPG? This beats my 04 WJ and my 2011 Silverado hands-down in fuel economy. Not as good as my wife's Jeep but then hers was likely wind-tunnel tested, too - 25 mpg easy (WK2)

flyil

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator HA Snazzberry
Have had a '21 HA Gladiator for 4 months now, mostly highway driving. I think that all things considered, it is a smoother and more refined highway ride than the 2007 Chrysler 300C I came from. The 300 is like driving a couch, and it's a little quieter and the hemi gave it more passing power. But it was old. The Gladiator ain't bad compared to the 2020 model of that car either.

The Gladiator is much more modern with far more advanced tech and highway safety features. Adaptive cruise control is a godsend on the highway, and things like quality navigation and infotainment become more important to me. No issues with drift. Overall it was a better highway journey than an old 300.

sypeck

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK Jeep GC
Depends on your perspective... If you've driven other Wranglers then this is a big improvement. If you're comparing it to other vehicles then yeah it's just a Jeep thing;)
Exactly hit the nail on the head…. I think 75% of the people complaining about the way the gladiator drives has never driven a jeep before

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly hit the nail on the head…. I think 75% of the people complaining about the way the gladiator drives has never driven a jeep before
The "it's a Jeep thing" is BS. Anyone who has driven a Jeep before should see this as better. It's not a Wrangler and comparing it to a short wheel base is unfair, unscientific.

This is 2021, not 1940.

There's no "it's a straight axle thing" - that's bunk - otherwise a ZJ or WJ would have wandered all over Texas - but women bought them by the thousands because - they rode great and they handled and steered fine.
These should indeed handle like most other trucks.
Comparing them to a sports car or anything with rack and pinion is stupid. It's a bloody truck. But comparing them to other trucks is fair, and comparing them to IFS vehicles in general is fair.

People need to get over "it's a jeep thing" on the steering. My own is proof of that. It handles great. I'd even now compare it to the Silverado I had. My wife even likes it and drove it 11 hours straight (save for gas stops and a DQ stop for Blizzards in CO, KS, NE and IA - speeds of 80 on down, 2 lane and 4 lane divided. She loved driving it and when I offered to take over she said no, she was fine. Not even tired or fatigued. (and she normally drives a 2021 WK2)

There's no reason in the world for a modern truck like the JT to handle poorly or "drive like a Jeep" - which is normally comparing to a high center of gravity short wheelbase vehicle with a different steering ratio and so on)

If you think your stock JT handles "like a Jeep" then you need to visit a dealer. Mine handles like a mid-size truck.

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I'm reminded of the phrase "jack of all trades"....most forget the second part: "master of none."

With the Jeep, it's master of one. Off Road. Constantly impressed at the things my Jeep just does.

Once I got my steering box issue resolved I became quite pleased. I recently did 13 hours behind the wheel on 33s and was satisfied. 5 hours mountain roads....3 hours wheeling and 5 hours back.

Like many have stated it's not an Audi or a Porsche. I had a very turned URS6 Avant. Germans make cars for 100mph+ and they are happy to cruise on the highway. I can tell you mine settled down and was quite happy at higher speeds. Would it off road, not really. Fire roads at best.

Air pressure is real. I moved to 35s. I was on the way to pick up a buddy at DIA and the heat brought them to 40psi! Damn thing was pretty squirrely. Especially hard braking over the rough and mixed surfaces of the 20+ year construction that is I-25. I have had my share of SFA and I think this one is a breeze to drive. I do not drive the Jeep like I am qualifying at Yas Marina.

Thankfully I do not drive long for my commute. So I go top off, doors off and bomb around town.
I love that I can drive it to a trail and wheel it.

Mrbizkitt

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU
Occupation
HVAC
Drove my Mojave home to NJ from Tennessee and was very impressed. Just put 35’s on and I’m still impressed with the ride.

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Mine is a 2020 JTR. Took three fixes to get my steering right and I don't think it can get better as it is very good now.

Fix 1: Steering box replaced per the TSB by warranty - results: Slightly better in response but still very wandery. Can see lots of movement at the steering box/frame so onto fix 2...

Fix 2: Synergy steering brace - results: slightly less wander but now it is more "darty" or fast to wander when it does. I noticed there is still play on the steering arm where it attaches to the drag link, but no movement at the knuckle at the wheel. Suspect the OEM drag link is weak link and "flexing". You can verify this for yourself by having someone wiggle the steering wheel and look at what is moving (and what is not). Onto Fix 3...

Fix 3: 2" RPM Steering Kit - results: Tight, precise and predictable steering. The way it should feel from factory.

While it wasn't completely bad stock on 33" it was not fun to drive for any long periods until all three were fixed.

I'm now on 37" tires (Milestar Patagonia MTs at 37 psi cold) and a 2.5" lift. Just completed a 4500 mile trip towing a trailer and it handles amazingly well.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is a 2020 JTR. Took three fixes to get my steering right and I don't think it can get better as it is very good now.

Fix 1: Steering box replaced per the TSB by warranty - results: Slightly better in response but still very wandery. Can see lots of movement at the steering box/frame so onto fix 2...

Fix 2: Synergy steering brace - results: slightly less wander but now it is more "darty" or fast to wander when it does. I noticed there is still play on the steering arm where it attaches to the drag link, but no movement at the knuckle at the wheel. Suspect the OEM drag link is weak link and "flexing". You can verify this for yourself by having someone wiggle the steering wheel and look at what is moving (and what is not). Onto Fix 3...

Fix 3: 2" RPM Steering Kit - results: Tight, precise and predictable steering. The way it should feel from factory.

While it wasn't completely bad stock on 33" it was not fun to drive for any long periods until all three were fixed.

I'm now on 37" tires (Milestar Patagonia MTs at 37 psi cold) and a 2.5" lift. Just completed a 4500 mile trip towing a trailer and it handles amazingly well.
You could have had it fixed like I did - take it back again for another steering gear. You are likely covering for what could have been fixed. You state that "still very wandery" etc. - then you should have gone back. They won't wander or pull (STOCK) if done correctly and the steering gear is good.
Since you did not say it was a "night and day difference" with the TSB applied - it was never really fixed and you are covering for it with other means, IMO.

I have noticed that people are straying when comparing - the question was "on the highway" - not autocross, not an obstacle course, not a a figure-eight race track or the Indy 500, but on the highway. Corvette? Please - straight ahead it's not much or any better than many drag cars from the 70s. some of the other sports cars and high-end big-bucks cars - totally different comparing cars to TRUCKS. How about compare the JT to have a Tacoma or a Colorado handle on the highway?
Highway means like a drive from here to Branson, MO or here to Pierre, SD or here to Topeka, KS.

Comparing a TRUCK to CARS - some likely with rack and pinion steering and/or tight ratios and shorter wheel bases - funny.

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
You could have had it fixed like I did - take it back again for another steering gear. You are likely covering for what could have been fixed. You state that "still very wandery" etc. - then you should have gone back. They won't wander or pull (STOCK) if done correctly and the steering gear is good.
Since you did not say it was a "night and day difference" with the TSB applied - it was never really fixed and you are covering for it with other means, IMO.
The gear did make a small difference but it being tighter only magnified the other big issue--the drag link. I took it to dealer 2x. Finally they claimed my lift and tires are causing the issue and they won't fix the drag link. If you can see lateral movement on one end of the drag link and no movement at the other, it is no longer the steering box. The only thing the box update did was about 1/2 less slop. However after the box was updated, it would literally swerve into the lane next to me without moving the wheel 45 to 80mph it was the same. Drag link fixed that issue right. I didn't have time to keep fighting with Jeep over it.

In simple terms the TSB fixed 35%, the brace did another 25% and the RPM steering (tie rod and drag link) fixed 40%. Now it is 100% and I think as good as this truck can get.

Sponsored

sypeck

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK Jeep GC
The "it's a Jeep thing" is BS. Anyone who has driven a Jeep before should see this as better. It's not a Wrangler and comparing it to a short wheel base is unfair, unscientific.

This is 2021, not 1940.

There's no "it's a straight axle thing" - that's bunk - otherwise a ZJ or WJ would have wandered all over Texas - but women bought them by the thousands because - they rode great and they handled and steered fine.
These should indeed handle like most other trucks.
Comparing them to a sports car or anything with rack and pinion is stupid. It's a bloody truck. But comparing them to other trucks is fair, and comparing them to IFS vehicles in general is fair.

People need to get over "it's a jeep thing" on the steering. My own is proof of that. It handles great. I'd even now compare it to the Silverado I had. My wife even likes it and drove it 11 hours straight (save for gas stops and a DQ stop for Blizzards in CO, KS, NE and IA - speeds of 80 on down, 2 lane and 4 lane divided. She loved driving it and when I offered to take over she said no, she was fine. Not even tired or fatigued. (and she normally drives a 2021 WK2)

There's no reason in the world for a modern truck like the JT to handle poorly or "drive like a Jeep" - which is normally comparing to a high center of gravity short wheelbase vehicle with a different steering ratio and so on)

If you think your stock JT handles "like a Jeep" then you need to visit a dealer. Mine handles like a mid-size truck.
I think it drives awesome No complaints on my end

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
My grandpa had a WJ that is, to date, the worst steering vehicle I have ever driven. That thing wandered like nothing I have ever been in before or since. So on that basis it could very much be a Jeep thing.

After the TSB my highway wander is gone but there are definitely handling characteristics of a solid axle vehicle that are different from anything with IFS/IRS, and even then there can be differences based on how axles are mounted, what kind of springs are used....a lot goes into suspension design but I know that you of all people on this board know that.

In terms of new vehicles sold today only Wranglers and some full size trucks have solid front axles which can give a different feel in the steering wheel than anything with IFS - with one wheel hitting a bump one side is gaining camber and the other is losing. Plus the added unsprung weight can be felt over larger bumps.

Now, the JT is a far more comfortable ride than a 2dr wrangler largely due to percentage of sprung vs unsprung mass and wheelbase, but it definitely handles differently. Not badly I would say, I am seriously impressed by how well my truck rides and drives, but even amongst other mid-size trucks it feels different.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My grandpa had a WJ that is, to date, the worst steering vehicle I have ever driven. That thing wandered like nothing I have ever been in before or since. So on that basis it could very much be a Jeep thing.

After the TSB my highway wander is gone but there are definitely handling characteristics of a solid axle vehicle that are different from anything with IFS/IRS, and even then there can be differences based on how axles are mounted, what kind of springs are used....a lot goes into suspension design but I know that you of all people on this board know that.

In terms of new vehicles sold today only Wranglers and some full size trucks have solid front axles which can give a different feel in the steering wheel than anything with IFS - with one wheel hitting a bump one side is gaining camber and the other is losing. Plus the added unsprung weight can be felt over larger bumps.

Now, the JT is a far more comfortable ride than a 2dr wrangler largely due to percentage of sprung vs unsprung mass and wheelbase, but it definitely handles differently. Not badly I would say, I am seriously impressed by how well my truck rides and drives, but even amongst other mid-size trucks it feels different.
I've had at least one of every Grand Cherokee platform made - including 3 of the WJ series. I never thought they wandered. We bought two of the WJs new - those steered tight, just fine. So if yours wandered, it had a problem. My wife loved all of the Grand Cherokees we've had and was normally the primary driver. She liked how they handled and rode.

"handling" to me is more than how they do on the highway or streets. It's bumps, turns, rough roads, etc. So yes, if you aren't considering how they do on the highway (and they should all do the same on the highway and city streets) there are inherent differences.

Knightindullarmor

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Edition
Occupation
Firearms Instructor
Compared to every other solid front axle ladder frame truck that I have driven, the Gladiator is the best highway ride by far.

It is slightly worse highway ride than previous XJ & ZJ (cherokee/grand cherokee), but those were unibody not ladder frame (not "real" trucks). But not by much. And once lifted enough to run 31" tires without rubbing, even those unibody solid axle jeeps did not track as good as my gladiator that came with 32" mudders from the factory.

Compared to other "real" 4x4 trucks (as defined by ladder frame & solid front axle) , the gladiator handles better. And that is a short list. Since around 1992 when the Dodge Ramcharger and fullsize Jeep Grand wagoneer disappeared, your options for ladder frame, SFA was reduced to Dodge/Jeep products. Fast-forward to 2020, & you have Dodge Powerwagon, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Gladiator, (maybe exotics like Land Rover Defender too?) But that is it for "real" 4x4 trucks. And Gladiator is super smooth on highway when comparing actual apples to apples.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My Comanche handled like a dream as well - it was solid axle, 4x4 and we used it as a family vehicle as well as a farm truck for a while. It was my only vehicle for a while - luckily there was room for two growing boys in the cab with me. That Comanche was a smooth handling, smooth riding, nice truck - I wish I still had it. Anyway, it was a truck, it handled nicely, and it was a solid front axle, not IFS.
It was a hybrid frame setup. Yes, the box could be unbolted and removed from the frame.

Not sure why an independent frame or lack of is considered in steering or handling.......
Sponsored