Sponsored

How long it would take Diesel Engine MPG to pay for itself

Are you getting the Diesel for MPG or for the torque?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I was a little leary about pulling into the big rig lanes but no one gave me any grief over it. Just be sure to pull out as soon as you have completed your purchase.
The problem is that the big rig lanes are oftentimes backed up. Between the traffic and wait, it can be a pain. As a matter of fact, I'll be installing an in-bed auxiliary fuel tank so I can extend my range. Even the regular pumps can be backed up for 30 minutes or more.

So you mind paying $0.65 to save $10?? I really donā€™t see an issue with this. The program has to be administered by someone with all the back channel software that it takes to run properly.
I don't mind paying .65 cents to save $10 dollars, but if filling up at the big rig lanes is part of the deal, then it's not worth the savings to me. Time is more valuable to me than money.

Another way youā€™ll be saving money is that you can also buy DEF at these lanes that are dispensed just like your fuel and you know itā€™s fresh and it will be much cheaper than you can buy it in jugs.
To minimize deposits, I'm now only using Platinum DEF in both trucks. I toss a box or two in the truck before I make a big trip.
Sponsored

F3Orangeman

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTOD, ā€™02 F-150 SCrew
Occupation
Stay-at-Home Financial Analyst (thanks to COVID)
I first found out about it on a Ford truck towing forum. There was an in-depth discussion and several people have joined based on the info there. Iā€™ll post a link here and hopefully it wonā€™t get deleted if you want to read more about what other peopleā€™s experiences have been....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1603230-tsd-logistics-fuel-program-7.html
Thanks for the link, and thanks for sharing the info on tsd. Another good piece of data for me to consider between the JTOD and JTM.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I want to be able to fuel at the local cardlocks to avoid the idiots at the fuel stations. I live and work on the outskirts of town and staying out of town is keeping my sanity.

JC JT

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Navy
I don't see you ever recovering the cost offset
i grew up on Diesel's all my life so it's a No Brainer that I had to have one.

MojaveBart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, Ducati Panigale 1199s, Harley-Davidson 114 Fatboy, Harley-Davidson FLSS, Aprilia Tuono Factory, Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports
I get alot of grief on this too. I did the math too and I came up with roughly the same numbers. I did as some people were "justifying" their purchase of the diesel based on the fuel savings.

Now I have ZERO issues with people choosing the diesel because they want it. I also feel don't have to justify their purchase. I almost bought a Wrangler with the Diesel because I wanted the diesel engine above all else. But when people say it's because of the fuel savings. Well as you and I can see it will take a lot of miles to break even.

I do believe their are alot of pros for the diesel, but using fuel cost savings as the reason doesn't add up...

I'm doing some really rough math here. I'm looking at the wrangler combined MPG as a basis for how the Gladiator might be.

Assumptions:
Combined MPG: 19 on the Pentastar and 24 on the Diesel
Cost to upgrade: $4000 if you are already getting the automatic
Price per gallon: $2.18 regular and $2.42 Diesel

You would have to drive roughly 300,000 miles to save about $4,000 on fuel. You can mess around with the above assumptions, but no matter what, I think the conclusion is it's a lot of miles if you are getting it for the MPG.

EDIT:
After reading some comments, the additional range on a full tank is something I didn't think of before as a good reason to buy it. It pretty much comes down to the low end torque and the additional range. MPG can't be a good reason due to what I said above. But even with the low end torque, the 0-60 MPH is listed as the same on both engines. IDK...I'm still learning.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
^^^

While I donā€™t want to get in an internet war with anyone when youā€™re considering gas v. diesel option you HAVE to consider the increased resale vehicle of the vehicle as well.

As an example, my 2016 F-350 listed for $60K and I bought it all in for just under $50K. The diesel was an 8K option on that truck. It currently has 60K miles on it. When I compared the trucks trade in value on kbb.com the difference was over $6K in favor of the diesel. That means that the true cost difference was only $2K.

The mpg difference between a diesel and gas engine is about 4 in this truck (14 v. 10mpg). Since I pay roughly the same for diesel than gas with my fuel card the amount of fuel consumed over 60,000 miles is 4285 gallons versus 6000 gallons for the gas. If you take that 1714 gallon difference and multiply it by what ever you pay for fuel in your area youā€™ll find that overall fuel costs are cheaper with diesel and the break even point is less than 60,000 miles.

Now maintenance is more expensive but the capability of a diesel is also more impressive.

I will agree with you that buying a diesel to save money is not a good financial decision but the diesel offers so much more and the true cost is negligible....

On another note my F-350 has the same private party value that I paid for it 4 years and 60K miles ago...Crazy!

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I think the point to take away from all of this is that it is a personal choice. Each potential buyer needs to look at their own needs, their own willingness to pay more for maintenance, the price of diesel vs. gas in their own community, the length of their commutes, etc.

The answer is not the same for everyone, so it would be more productive to stick to facts that help each individual make their own decision rather than saying "it is the best, buy it!" or "it sucks, only a moron would buy it!".

But that won't happen on an internet forum.

A calculator would be handy for people to plug in their own numbers. Information regarding how often someone should expect regens, how long it takes to cool the turbos to a safe level to shut down, real life mpgs achieved (daily driving, towing different loads, providing locations and elevations when doing so), how often people are refilling DEF, etc. This is what would be helpful rather than just pushing opinions.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think the big wild card here is will this 3rd gen engine stay together?

I felt so sorry for especially the early Ford 6.0 owners and would hate to be in that same position later.

Reactions: Mac

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I think the big wild card here is will this 3rd gen engine stay together?
That's what a 100,000 mile engine warranty is for.

So far, the 3rd gen is holding up well. There are 3rd gen EcoDiesels out there now with 60,000+ miles on them.

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Care to share pricing & coverage?
Dealer quoted me $1870 for Maximum Care 8/85 warranty w/$200 per visit deductible. $2270 for $100 deductible.

Same thing can be found online for $1425/$1665.

I do place a value on buying from my local dealer and keeping some money local. They would also be the servicing dealer if there is a warranty issue..... That said, how much of a deal should I be trying to beat out of them on this entire purchase? Looks like if they throw me an msrp price on the vehicle and warranty, I could save possibly $11k by ordering from one of the dealers actually motivated to move vehicles.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
That said, how much of a deal should I be trying to beat out of them on this entire purchase? Looks like if they throw me an msrp price on the vehicle and warranty, I could save possibly $11k by ordering from one of the dealers actually motivated to move vehicles.
CrazyCooter, if you want the best deal possible, I have a dealer in Utah that will beat any deal you will find. If interested, let me know. A guy from California ordered a 2020 Ram EcoDiesel from them and he couldn't believe the price. I got $13,000 of my Ram EcoDiesel that I ordered from there, plus a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CrazyCooter, if you want the best deal possible, I have a dealer in Utah that will beat any deal you will find. If interested, let me know. A guy from California ordered a 2020 Ram EcoDiesel from them and he couldn't believe the price. I got $13,000 of my Ram EcoDiesel that I ordered from there, plus a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.
Much appreciated sir!

I'm not necessarily looking for the absolute best deal as I'm a local businessman as well.....I always give the guy the deal who makes it easy for me and is loyal.......I'd like to be treated the same way. In current times, how much would it be worth for me to spend 2 days traveling to Ut and back to pick it up right? For 5K I'd have to drive. For 1K I'd buy it local......I do love me a roadtrip thought!
Sponsored