Sponsored

If you could do it over - What would you change?

ShirtlessCubsFan

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GLI, 2020 Mercedes GLB, 2022 Mojave
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Probably would have gotten the led package and a manual transmission.

Wife convinced me I had to get an auto so she could drive it. She never has.

I've never seen the need for the LEDs, conventional halogens have always been fi e for me. Not on this truck. They suck.

Otherwise I wouldn't change anything else.
Wrangler/Gladiator halogens are notoriously crappy. Like, to the point where I wonder how they're even legally passable. A birthday candle reflecting off a brick wall produces more light than those halogens.

In my JKU, I often had to flip on my high beams just to verify I even had my lights on. So many other people do the same. I eventually upgraded to JW Speaker LEDs and it was honestly the best upgrade/"mod" I made.

Headlights are one of any vehicle's most important safety feature. I'll never buy another Jeep again unless I get the LED package or I have upgrades waiting at home on day 1.

At least you can easily remedy the lighting situation!
Sponsored

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
I actually like the look of the halogens better than the LED's. Seems more traditional "Jeep" than the LED's. They are on the dim side, but the bulbs can be changed.

The more I see the LEDs, the more I agree.

We were driving home from New Mexico during the giant snowstorm in the south earlier this year, and the HID lights in our Navigator were a huge life saver since they produced enough heat to keep the headlights visible. People with LEDs were struggling at the service stations because their lights were frozen over. This has made me a huge fan of the traditional halogens for our specific needs.

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
Wrangler/Gladiator halogens are notoriously crappy. Like, to the point where I wonder how they're even legally passable. A birthday candle reflecting off a brick wall produces more light than those halogens.

In my JKU, I often had to flip on my high beams just to verify I even had my lights on. So many other people do the same. I eventually upgraded to JW Speaker LEDs and it was honestly the best upgrade/"mod" I made.

Headlights are one of any vehicle's most important safety feature. I'll never buy another Jeep again unless I get the LED package or I have upgrades waiting at home on day 1.

At least you can easily remedy the lighting situation!

It's hyperbole like this that makes me stop and question forum advice. I'm glad you got what you want, but wheeling in the middle of nowhere has shown me that the stock halogens are more than capable of illuminating the path.

ShirtlessCubsFan

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GLI, 2020 Mercedes GLB, 2022 Mojave
Occupation
Systems Engineer
It's hyperbole like this that makes me stop and question forum advice. I'm glad you got what you want, but wheeling in the middle of nowhere has shown me that the stock halogens are more than capable of illuminating the path.
If I have to flick my high beams on or flip my headlight on/off switch just to verify I have power/functioning lights, then that's a problem. If I'm only one of countless others that do the exact same, then that's a massive problem.

If you trailer your Jeep to the trail then that's fine, but the vast majority of us drive ours on the road as well as off.

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I got a very good deal on a GM Demo Rubicon. So while I would have liked a few changes, I'm not sure they would have been worth the very substantial price difference.

Having said that there are a few things I wish I had:
* bed electric outlet
* front camera
* steel front bumper (although I kind of like having some options here)

I added the factory tonneau from a forum seller here.

Other than this I stumbled in to a great deal by accident and love it. Pretty much loaded other than those items.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Bought mine off the lot and it was the only 6-speed Mojave within 1000 miles of me, so there isn't much I could have done differently other than order and wait. I'm extremely happy with it, but IF I could have exactly what I wanted, I would have just added the proximity button door locks and front trail cam. Otherwise, it's perfect for me.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...nstructions-parts-links-on-jl-wrangler.49241/
If I had it to do all over again...now as much as I love my Willys, I probably would've gone with a Sport or Sport S with a lot less tech. No power doors, windows, mirrors and such so that way removing the doors and worrying about the connector/bent pin thing wouldn't be an issue with me. I definitely would keep the sound system though along with the 8.4" Uconnect 4 (what I have now). I also would've gone with a rag top rather than the Freedom Top, would have added the Gorilla Glass, max tow, steel bumpers, LED lights and as for color, as much I love my Sting Gray, would've loved to have had Gobi.
There are still pins in the doors with manual windows and locks.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
My JTR 6MT was almost perfect. I would have liked the diesel if it came with the 6MT, but for reliability reasons I would probably stick with the gas v6 even if they offered it now with the 6MT. I would have preferred Punk'n Orange over silver, and even though orange was not offered in 2021 I considered Hydro Blue and Red. Both are very sharp - especially the Hydro Blue and I think it would have looked ok 10 years later. Otherwise I ordered it exactly the way I wanted and it remains exactly perfect for my needs: cloth seats, upgrade sound, front camera, cold weather, aux switches, 6MT, NO rear parking sensors or radar cruise, plastic bumper (have a rhino lined ARB bondi deluxe waiting to be installed in my garage right now) black hard top, plastic fenders, bedliner, tow package and bed package (outlet and trail rails) and factory roll up toneau cover. I had the mopar 2in lift and 35s installed by the dealer so covered under warranty and that means out of the box I'm pretty much as good as my old land rover from a functional capability perspective. Silver is a little boring but I think it will still look good in 10 years - plus it doesn't look like crap in the winter with road spray and salt. I think if I went with Punk'n Orange I might get a bit tired of it in a few years...

Anyway sorry for rambling on.

jeep-addiction1973

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 BTS Willys JT on order
Occupation
Car Sales
I would have ordered a manual transmission and the led light package. Finally got to drive a manual transmission gladiator and loved it. Wanted a freedom edition but it wasn't availble when i placed my order. Would have preferred to have those seats. I wish the Katskin leather would have been an option on the Willy's like it is on the sport. Overall love what i have and may end up doing the katskin leather seats later.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Wish select trac was available when I got my JT but then again I needed it quickly to replace my existing truck that was having issues so I had to buy off the lot. Options I have are perfect for my use I would get the same again. 7” screen, heated seats and steering wheel, max tow, aux switches and garage door openers. A little over a year old and 20k miles not one issue so far.

Sponsored

1JeepFamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I—too—actually did it over again.

I had a Dec 2020 💀Sport S build in hydro blue. Yes, December 2020 is one of the "unspoken" months, where the engines suffered from a metric 💩-ton of electrical and engine gremlins. I bought it used because the price was right, but realized after a year that it I didn't need:
- Heated seats and steering wheel (NC doesn't get that cold)
- Remote start (an unused luxury feature that isn't safe to use in garages)
- 8.4" screen (7" is just fine)
- Navigation (hello, uh, Android Auto?)
- Alpine stereo (it's supposed to be a Jeep, not an Escalade)
- Towing package (I haven't towed anything in my life)

What it didn't have was:
- Color matched hardtop (I want the clean lines for the A.R.E. topper)
- 4hi auto (for rainy highway driving)
- Sand-appropriate suspension (driving on NC beaches at speed are a bouncy nightmare w/o the right suspension)

So, I bought a basically bare-bones 2021 Mojave in Firecracker Red and haven't looked back. It feels like Jeep took all the things that were wrong with the first gen, first year models and fixed them on the 2021s.