Sponsored

Would you buy a base gladiator if you couldnt do any mods?

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
No bc I don't like how the base model looks stock. I would rather an older model of some other truck or Wrangler that I could mod, than a bone stock base Gladiator.
Sponsored

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Just curious how many people would still buy the base gladiator if you didnt have any additional funds to mod anything, you would have to drive it stock. I dont mean the rubicon or majave either lol. Base, i will let you have power door lock, windows and ac though. I personally would not buy it. I wonder how many would agree?
Out of curiosity, what does it matter whether or not someone would?

Seriously, everyone has different means, needs, wants and taste. Some people are content with the simple things and others have to go top of the line every time. Different strokes and all that.

BajaTym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JTR, Bright White
Occupation
IT Professional; Retired Military
Nope. IMHO the base Gladiator is too expensive for what it is.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
yes. I did. mods came as per my ideas of use and affordability .
i have it where I want it but it dint happen instantly .

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
No. I’m not going to pay ~$40K to drive something I don’t like the ride or looks of.

At the end of the day, the price of the JT is ridiculous for what it is. If I’m going to spend $40K+ for an oversized four-wheeler, I’m going to get the one I want.

If I only had two options… keeping my old Subaru Outback and getting a JTS, I would have just stayed with my Outback.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
Rare indeed. I had to special order, and wait 9 weeks for a base model. Options were: green paint, trailer hitch, limited slip, and floor mats.

Now I am adding running boards (mahogany) and wood half-doors.
Sorry, a year later. Did you post pics of wood half doors?

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I have the Sport-S package, It's not exactly base but probably close enough. I've done some minor things, like the Teraflex 1.5 inch leveling kit installed, a tonneau cover, and a few more little things. The only thing I'm going to do for sure is go with a 33 inch tire, the tires I'm riding on right now are 31's and when they fall off, I'll replace them with the 33's. It's possible that someday I may replace the bumper and put a winch on, but that's the only long-term project I have thought of and who knows, I may not even do that.

I could run with the base Sport-S model if I had to. I love the platform and I love the attention it gets when I drive it around town.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
No

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Bone stock? Hell no. I'd at least need passive entry, hard top, trailer tow package (it's a freaking tuck right?) and maybe even the auto trans (if not your tow rating is useless). At that point you're talking like $46,000+ according to the configurator when you can have a Rubicon for $49,XXX MSRP. Doesn't make sense at this point, more so when you consider the volume dealer discounts on new orders.

A base model wrangler 2-door? Maybe, I could see the nostalgia in that.

Sponsored

DJPodratz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Just curious how many people would still buy the base gladiator if you didnt have any additional funds to mod anything, you would have to drive it stock. I dont mean the rubicon or majave either lol. Base, i will let you have power door lock, windows and ac though. I personally would not buy it. I wonder how many would agree?
I would.

Unless you count putting a mat in the bed and adding a rack on the roof for skis, that‘s what I did.

Sport model. Works well in the snow for hauling light stuff.

Not gonna rock crawl here. No plans for further mods.

dajudge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2001Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Network/Server Admin
For me, no. I would just keep my Cherokee and wheel that. Offroad travel is a huge reason I have a Jeep.

OP
OP

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Lol, the main reason for me asking this is that I think a stock gladiator is ugly. By stock I dont mean a rubicon or a Mojave. Just the base model with the base rims and suspension, I'll let you have any options you want for inside the cabin.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I bought because I thought they look great right off the showroom floor. There's more unmodded Wranglers and Gladiators around here than people might think - because the majority of buyers like them as they are. The forums are exceptions, not rules.
I can't say I've seen a modified Gladiator around here other than what the one dealer in Ankeny has done to new ones a few times. (I've not yet seen those Jeeps in the wild)

Then we get into the terminology - "couldn't do any mods" implies to me that after buying it you can't afford to do any mods - "couldn't" - if that were the case maybe the person buying shouldn't be buying such a truck anyway if after purchase, they can't afford to do any mods at all - it implies they are strapped and just afforded the truck.

I bought because I loved the looks.
I've found you don't have to have any money - just time - to do a lot of things to vehicles. If it was all about $$, I'd probably still be driving what I had in the 1980s or earlier.

PaJeeper

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator sport s non max tow
Occupation
Steel worker
The only way I would buy a pure base model is if I was going to modify it as a full blown dedicated trail/ over landing rig because I knew I was going to replace every stock component regardless. Anybody who says they like the looks of these trucks in stock form save for the Rubi or Mojave are lying to themselves.
Sponsored