Sponsored

Would you buy a base gladiator if you couldnt do any mods?

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I haven’t left a vehicle stock, besides the Kia minivan I drove. So I wouldn’t be able to do it. I basically buy vehicles that I can mod.

It’s part of the fun for me. Nothing against a stock Galdy.
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The only required things would have to be a Max-Tow and hardtop as a minimal and one of my choice of color. But that's due to having 2 boats, T.T. and utility trailer. Most of my "mods" are bolt on things... topper, bumper, winch, lights, second rear tow hook, ECT ECT.
I almost ordered just a Sport Max-Tow.

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
No.

No mods to a jeep to me would suck, no mods to any car would suck. If I wanted a vehicle to buy and never have the ability to mod it and be happy with it I would buy a Triumph Speed Triple.

Deleted member 28696

Just curious how many people would still buy the base gladiator if you didnt have any additional funds to mod anything, you would have to drive it stock. I dont mean the rubicon or majave either lol. Base, i will let you have power door lock, windows and ac though. I personally would not buy it. I wonder how many would agree?
The idea of buying a base sport is so that you can afford to do the mods. I’m doing basic mods like a 3” lift & re-gearing & I have a rubicon, no I wouldn’t want base with no mods.

SquirrelNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Nope - I wouldn't have bought one without being able to immediately jump up in tire size.

This question would be interesting to see in Poll form. 🤔

Sponsored

Jfondren3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave, Audi Q3
99% of us on the forums are not here because we want a base model with no mods.

IF that is all that I could afford, then yes, I would buy a base model. It's not financially practical or smart though if that is all you can afford and have zero left over to save. But not being financially smart is how I would have gotten into that situation anyway, so this alternate me doesn't make great choices.

So I guess that I would buy it and never mod it. Eventually the tires would wear out so something more aggressive would be sourced at a cheaper price than replacement OEM tires. Replacing consumable items doesn't equal modifying a vehicle in my book.

Daithi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Education
I just bought a base Gladiator. Crank windows, manual locks, manual transmission, steel wheels, folding top. No alarm system (that I can find), no satellite radio. It came with decently aggressive tires, side step bars, AC, cruise control, and can play bluetooth audio/telephone. That's pretty much it. If I had my choice I'd delete the cruise control, the stop/start/stop/start feature, and the stupid push to start function with that ridiculous key fob. There's nothing in the truck worth stealing, and if there was, someone could break in with a jack knife through the back window, so I seldom even lock it. But that key fob is just the worst. A pox on the soul of whoever though that was a good idea. Other than that I love the truck! There's a homeless guy who panhandles in town at a local intersection. When he sees me at the light, he always tells me I should get a winch for the front though. He loves the truck too.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely, without hesitation. Can modify anything else any time.

Jerhemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Willys
Just curious how many people would still buy the base gladiator if you didnt have any additional funds to mod anything, you would have to drive it stock. I dont mean the rubicon or majave either lol. Base, i will let you have power door lock, windows and ac though. I personally would not buy it. I wonder how many would agree?
Nope. Bare minimum needs bigger tires. Then maaaaybe

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not if it had to remain 100% stock. But $1800 gets you a set of Rubicon take-off wheels and tires. You could sell your existing wheels and tires for $800 ish. So figure an extra $1000 gets you the Rubicon wheels and tires.

CJ_Gladiator

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
Not if I had a choice. I bought a fully equipped Overland that I could drive without changing and be happy with.
I bought an Overland and am not going to lift it or put bigger wheels and tires. I need a small truck and also a 4WD to tow behind my class a motor coach.

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I’ve never owned a vehicle that I didn’t tinker with and modify somehow. Probably never will.

flyerness

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Yes, I would....but it is relative. Years before, I had a YJ which I loved, and always wanted another Jeep. Jeep with a bed was a no-brainer for me. I bought a base Sport S, not necessarily knowing what I wanted to upgrade.

I loved my JT when I drove it off the lot. I did make some upgrades,....more than I originally expected, but most Jeep owners will tell you they did similar. That's part of the fun of owning a Jeep.

But I would say If you want to keep it stock, it's still a really fun and versatile vehicle. Does it measure up to a Taco or Ford?....probably not in true truck terms. But take the top and doors off and nothing else comes close. It is a fun ride regardless of upgrades.

Cookie blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
Bought a 2018 wrangler sport. Bare bones. I have done some light wheeling, but mostly our daily driver, and travel rig. Gets up to 23 mph on the highway. Only mod was steps for my wife. Would be ok with a stock Gladiator. My Father-in-law did alot with his stock 66 wagoneer. No rock crawling, but there is alot more to four wheeling than a "break it on the week end" jeep.
Sponsored