Sponsored

Is icing on LEDs really a problem?

Did icing affect your LED headlights this winter?

• Total voters

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
After my first winter in the Gladiator, I didn't have any issues with ice and I did more winter driving than usual. Did anyone have issues?
Sponsored

Cianalas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport MaxTow
Driving through a surprise snowstorm for 2 hours, I had snow pack itself flush with the grill. Lights were still visible underneath, but it was daytime so I don't know how much of a throw they still had.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
So... my take.

I plow with my jeep, for realsies. I converted my plow lamps to LED on my jeep and on the International. I have run through some horrid conditions complete with ice rime, sleet, rain and then more snow and rapid temperature drops. I've also run glass lensed H4 130w lamps.

Yes halogen stays clearer longer but no, nothing is slop proof. I have no issues getting out of either truck in any conditions to clear the lamps. My opinion is if the conditions are sloppy enough to scum over the lamps you aren't seeing much range wise to start with. That said I have also had massive icing problems on the highway and the only solutiuon there is to clear the lamps off when you can safely pull over.

LED lens icing is no worse than HID lens icing and the only thing they did there is mandate lens washers.

Your opinions may vary.

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
I had not heard this and don't live in a winter climate. Is it related to lack of heat coming from bulbs, so snow/ice get packed into grill and restrict the beam?

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I have to get out and scoop the lights in snowstorms. Not a huge deal, I guess, but it is annoying. I don't think I've really had issues with ice, just slushy snow.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I had not heard this and don't live in a winter climate. Is it related to lack of heat coming from bulbs, so snow/ice get packed into grill and restrict the beam?
I keep hearing that it is a big issue, but everyone with direct experience that I have talked to seems to think its a non-issue, self included. Maybe its the light lake affect snow we get, but doesn't seem to be a real issue. I made the post because I came across some heated LED lens covers and was curious who is having problems

OP
OP

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I have to get out and scoop the lights in snowstorms. Not a huge deal, I guess, but it is annoying. I don't think I've really had issues with ice, just slushy snow.
When you get build up, is it highway driving, busy city, etc? Do you follow cars closely? Just curious, as I have had hardly any build up this winter. Maybe its because I mostly have dry, light lake effect snow?

OP
OP

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
So... my take.

I plow with my jeep, for realsies. I converted my plow lamps to LED on my jeep and on the International. I have run through some horrid conditions complete with ice rime, sleet, rain and then more snow and rapid temperature drops. I've also run glass lensed H4 130w lamps.

Yes halogen stays clearer longer but no, nothing is slop proof. I have no issues getting out of either truck in any conditions to clear the lamps. My opinion is if the conditions are sloppy enough to scum over the lamps you aren't seeing much range wise to start with. That said I have also had massive icing problems on the highway and the only solutiuon there is to clear the lamps off when you can safely pull over.

LED lens icing is no worse than HID lens icing and the only thing they did there is mandate lens washers.

Your opinions may vary.
Good point about sloppy conditions and range.

bentrod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
I've hear of this happening before in a blizzard.
But in a blizzard in every vehicle I've driven I've always have to stop now and then, depending on conditions, to wipe off the cowl area and windshield of accumulated snow/ice. Grill sometimes too. Now I'll just add the headlights to the list - no biggie.

I'll take superior lights on an average 363 days out of a year over having to brush off the lights maybe 2, 3x.

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
I think it can/does happen but as others have noted above if conditions are that bad you maty already be driving in a situation that warrants slowing down and when it may be necesary to stop once and awhile to clear the headlights or windshield. We were recently caught in a massive freezing rain event in the wifes subaru (halogen headlights, and a heated lwoer windshield area where the wipers rest) and we still had major icing issues and had to stop once every 45 minutes or so to get out and clear the headlights and wipers/windshield by hand. So given certain conditions all vehicles will have issues. To me when conditions are that bad I care more about being able to get through/get to my destination but it doesn't bother me at all to slow down a little or get out to clear ice/snow once and awhile.

Sponsored

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
When you get build up, is it highway driving, busy city, etc? Do you follow cars closely? Just curious, as I have had hardly any build up this winter. Maybe its because I mostly have dry, light lake effect snow?
I've been out a couple of times this year on forest service roads in heavy snow. So, going very slow, thick wet flakes coming down. I have not (yet) had an issue at highway speeds.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I feel, limited to my own use, that this is a non-issue created to sell products. If this was such a horrible condition we would see OEM heated lenses.

And yes I am not in a lake effect area or the rockies where 60" dry powder over 24 hours is possible but I am in the coastal north east where warm falls mean snow like wet concrete and a hard wind with enough salt to start a mine. I am more worried about the lamps staying physically clean than melting hoar frost and rime.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
We had more winter here than we have had for awhile. Snow, freezing rain, sleet.
I've had HID's and LED's on my vehicles for some time so I am used to cleaning the headlights off.
It's not that it's an LED headlight, it's that it's a recess on a flat surface and everything gets funneled right to the lights.

If someone came up with a headlight cover that either was flush with the grill or convexed out from the grill this wouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I've been out a couple of times this year on forest service roads in heavy snow. So, going very slow, thick wet flakes coming down. I have not (yet) had an issue at highway speeds.
That makes sense, with the slower speed, it may be easier to build up.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
I drove a few times at night, during heavy snow, mostly on side roads without street lights and found that the first 15-minutes or so would be fine, after that the build-up of snow was enough to really reduce visibility during active snow fall.

It was really just the reflective nature of the higher main headlamps on the snow becoming more prominent, as the lower fog lights became blocked.

I am considering a low-mount amber heated LED light bar for next season just to avoid it.

While the factory LED lights are great 363 out of 365 days in a year, it probably only takes that last 5-minutes of an unavoidable 20-minute snow storm drive to cause a catastrophe—I wouldn’t want to hurt someone because I skipped out on storm visibility.
Sponsored