Sponsored

Is it me, or does the Jeep windshield soak up way more bugs?

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
After a 3 hour drive here in Maine on the highway I can barely see thru the bug guts on mine......
Keep glass cleaner and paper towels in the truck.
Rokon, you a smart guy! need to add glass cleaner to my paper towels in the Alu-Cab Cupboard. =)

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I feel like my windshield is covered in bug guts. I’ve don’t remember it ever being this bad on any other vehicle I’ve owned. I’m assuming it’s the steeper angle of the Jeep windshield. Y’all notice this? I’m not sure how effective they are, but it might be time to actually look into a bug deflector.
my paint guy will apply ceramic coating to all windows, double on front for $75. TOTALLY WORTH IT!
I also use good wipers, not cheap ones and Rain-X orange bug -32deg washer fluid. it applies a bit of rain-x every time you use it. Its worth the $3.50 per gallon.
I also got complete window replacement insurance add on for like $18 per year because they're so prone to breaking.

ElDirector

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
The JT picks up WAY fewer bugs than my wife's JK, or any previous Jeep I've had. The TJ was terrible.

Actually, the CJ doesn't get that many. Then again, it can barely hit highway speeds.

Dcoins

First Name
Donald Coins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I agree it’s the angle of the windshield and it’s part of owning a Jeep. I did noticed that I received less cracks in the windshield on my raised Jeeps, however, it didn’t stop the bugs. These windshields are basically bug magnets due to the angle...

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Normal for JK, JL, JT....all of them. And just assume that you will have a chip or two every year or so, with a cracked/replacement every few years. Also the advanced safety group comes with a cost at replacement time, because realigning the sensors is a half-day, $300 job. Total quote from Safelite for that is $909 with OEM glass. Full glass for me $64/year because of this. On the other hand, the rest of my insurance cost is SUPER low because of the advanced safety group. I'm at only $42/mo with $500k liability and $500 deductibles. The JK was double that. So it ends up paying for itself.

Maximus Meridius

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S , 2018 Jeep Compass, 2016 WRX
I think it picks up it’s share of bugs, but they all have. It’s the glass angle and poor aerodynamics.
Around here it just seems like a buggier year this year so it’s hard to judge. Last summer wasn’t too bad.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I work in remote locations and have to travel at least an hour each way for work each day (depending on job site location) and in my work truck, I have to clean the windshield at least twice a week from the bugs. It's horrible this year. The lovebugs have been out like 2-3 different times this year already! They're horrible this year, worst I've seen in years.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I know that I catch quite a few bugs to my forehead when I'm running with my windshield off. I caught a big juicy one dead center this morning on my way to work.

As far as keeping cleaner and towels with you its a great idea. While I was on a road trip for vacation I stopped at a store and got some windex wipes. They do not work well without a paper towel to wipe up the mess that they loosen off the glass.

As far as cracked glass goes I can say that after 94K miles on my JK and 17K on my JT I have knock on wood have never had this happen. I never tailgate anyone. I leave a 8 to 10 sec gap at all time. Sure I have other terrible driving habits.But I don't tailgate.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My buddy up the road that has the gator JTR (all stock tires & suspension) cracked his at around 1,000 miles. He said mine was inevitable to do the same before I hit 1K on the clock, with the big 37x13.50's that are wider and stick out...Well, knock on wood...I rolled 1K with it in-tact. :like:

I wonder if because mine is lifted & leveled, and his still has the heavy front-rake (which puts the windshield in a flatter (closer to 90Âş) position towards the road and oncoming rocks & debris, if that causes them to be susceptible to rocks and cracking? Because I haven't had any issues since lifting/leveling, even after putting the bigger, wider tires on offset wheels that stick out of the fenders significantly more than stock...

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
It's a crap-shoot, and also varies a lot by location. My 13 JK went a year before getting a big bullseye in the passenger side. Then another smaller one. A friend got a 15 and had a new windshield before it turned 1k. Then I had a 15 that got a few minor cracks, then a huge one at 10k. I had two windshields in 46k on that one.

I'm in an area with lots of sand and rocks. The windshields also get pitted a lot from the sand and small rocks.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well some stats deflector no change or more bugs on JT. Rock chips and cracks my LJ 4th windshield 2 in same month with in same 2 mile strip of road and currently cracked, I avoid driving my vehicles in that section of road if I can.
Now I'm thinking that I might add a leveling kit.

Cbrackenak

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Business Manager
I feel like my windshield is covered in bug guts. I’ve don’t remember it ever being this bad on any other vehicle I’ve owned. I’m assuming it’s the steeper angle of the Jeep windshield. Y’all notice this? I’m not sure how effective they are, but it might be time to actually look into a bug deflector.
Of course. We are as aerodynamic as a cardboard box. There is very little air current to flow over the windshield and carry the bugs over the top of Jeep like there is with sporty cars. I just took a trip from Anchorage to Fairbanks and back and had to stop every hour to scrub.

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
Seems like it! I've almost emptied out my windshield cleaner tank in the 2 months I've had my truck. I can hardly remember adding windshield cleaner in the 20 years I had my Tacoma.
Sponsored