Sponsored

Is it me, or does the JT really struggle...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It will wind up a bit, but
But people seem to be afraid to let these wind up. They'll take a Honda running 6,000 RPM any day, but when these hit 4,000 they freak out or don't like it and believe they need to keep it in the low 2,000s. Heck, it's not even breathing hard at 2500 RPM. The intake valves don't even touch high lift until about 2800 or so. They aren't even sucking enough air through the filter to worry about having enough. I'd see RPM with my LS equipped Chevy truck that exceeds what seems to bother some folks with the 3.6

Just saw this comment from a while ago. I just upgrade from stock highway tires to LT E-rated tires. Feels much more solid now. This might be what you are missing on your Overland.
E rated? Sorry, but.........Heck no. I'd never go to that extreme.
I want rubber sidewalls, not sidewalls made of rock and make it ride like my old F250 4x4 with the heavy-duty suspension and overload springs or my grain trucks where we could fudge weight numbers during harvest.
I don't tow often enough to give up the ride and go back to the ride of my 67 Chevy 3/4 ton beater where you bounced in the seat at every bump in the road.

The issue is definitely width. It's a small truck, not like the Chevys or Fords I've had that were big, wide, heavy. (it may be due in part to the crappy Rubicon fox shocks I was running, too - not impressed at all with them. Not sure if I'll bother putting them back onto the new truck or not.)

I don't run stock tires, and I air my tires up for towing, over what I normally run in them.

Jeep Gladiator Is it me, or does the JT really struggle... 20220506_120302

Two things - my 2022 has much tighter steering than my 2020 did. The 2020 was fine after the second steering gear swap - drove fine, but this one is extremely tight. You budge that steering wheel even just slightly, the truck responds. It's taking me some getting used to as it reminds me of my wife's Grand Cherokee were if I lean to reach something, twitch just a bit and the Jeep jerks. This is that way, too - the steering is tight, almost twitchy, it reminds me also of a car with tight or fast ratio steering. It's not, but it has that feel.
Also - the engine has a different "feel". It responds differently. Not better or worse, but differently.
It will be interesting towing with it next month if I ever get this thing set up for towing. I need to do something fast about the springs and/or air bags, and get the brake controller installed and other stuff.

Anywho - does the JT struggle? No. It's a light truck, not a F250 4x4 with the width and weight of a full-sized truck. The engine does fine, transmission does fine. It's just a more narrow, light truck. It's not made to haul fully loaded farm wagons through rough fields.
Sponsored

l8rg8r

First Name
pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep mojave
Occupation
retired
...going up hills. I swear, I could be driving it empty and it still drops the mpgs and sounds like it struggles even up small grades. Today I drove it up a park road (pavement) ranging from 9-11 degrees and it dropped all the way down to 2nd gear.

On highways, any hill requires pretty good gas pedal depression to maintain speed. I can IMMEDIATELY feel when there is even a slight slope because the Jeep will slow down in 2 seconds.

ETA: paved road hills. Off road it is great!
Have you checked your air filter for rodents? If they build a nest above the air cleaner filter the engine will starve for air and loose power and possibly overheat.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Mine is fine on the hills. Have I had faster? Sure, you bet. But this one is miles ahead of the venerable 4.0 that we all loved. Just need to let it rev a bit. It's definitely not a dog. It's not fast, but it's competent. No complaints, in a heavy Rubicon, even with the 6MT and 315/70/17s.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I love the power from the diesel Just hate the throttle response from the loud pedal. It's a bit sluggish. Just got to find time to install my Banks Derringer and Pedal Monster.

This Jeep isn't like my Nismo. That thing "WILL" light the tires up in 6th gear. Ever with 345/30-19 Mich Cup tires on it.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I love the power from the diesel Just hate the throttle response from the loud pedal. It's a bit sluggish. Just got to find time to install my Banks Derringer and Pedal Monster.

This Jeep isn't like my Nismo. That thing "WILL" light the tires up in 6th gear. Ever with 345/30-19 Mich Cup tires on it.
I too hate the throttle response. It's no better on the gas engine. I'd like to see this Z of yours. What year?
Edit: saw it on the dyno thread. Sweet ride.

Last edited:

Sponsored

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cherokee , 2021 JTMojave (punjabi), 22 gobiator
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
Im not feeling underpowered up hills. My sport S and mojave boogie up hills if i push the gas.

devnull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Islander, 21 JT Rubicon, 19 Grand Sport
Occupation
scientific negotiator
My other car is a 2019 Vette and I never felt that the JT was underpowered...

Silly talk

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I too hate the throttle response. It's no better on the gas engine. I'd like to see this Z of yours. What year?
2011. Twin snails.

Jeep Gladiator Is it me, or does the JT really struggle... 1659750407730

Jeep Gladiator Is it me, or does the JT really struggle... 1659750548187

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
15 pages later did the OP get satisfaction from this thread?
In some sick twisted way the trolling was successful…lol!

To throw my hat in the ring, my diesel doesn’t give a damn about hills.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
No worse than my Tacoma. It's typical for this market segment and still miles better than compact and mid-size trucks I've owned over the years.
Actually my Tacoma was much worse. One of the things I really disliked about it.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Someone is resurrecting threads that have been in a coma for a while.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
...going up hills. I swear, I could be driving it empty and it still drops the mpgs and sounds like it struggles even up small grades. Today I drove it up a park road (pavement) ranging from 9-11 degrees and it dropped all the way down to 2nd gear.

On highways, any hill requires pretty good gas pedal depression to maintain speed. I can IMMEDIATELY feel when there is even a slight slope because the Jeep will slow down in 2 seconds.

ETA: paved road hills. Off road it is great!
I haved not had a problem with mine. I go through an uphill Arizona canyon from Nevada into Utah and it does not struggle in the least. We have done mountain passes and again no problem at all. We have the sport S max tow with the 4.10 and I am even coming to the JT from a BMW M series.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Someone is resurrecting threads that have been in a coma for a while.
People like to dig up stuff. So I have a job for those type of people.

Grave Digger.jpg

SuperUltraMan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon, JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Human Being
Compared to a 4cyl Honda Element the JT drags on hills. My 4cyl Honda Civic felt better. I have never owned a Jeep. Got a Patriot as a rental for a week, it was ok, felt underpowered. The JT drives GREAT for me, just the immediate wall it hits when there is any incline is surprising.
This comparison is hurting my brain! Seriously comparing a Honda Element to a JT is brain dead. How about we all Jeep wave to Smart cars and Motorcycles because they should all be compared as well due to having engines.
The JT still does better than a Rollerskate uphill. Maybe we should race the JT against a boat! Or a Snail!
We need warnings like ratings of intelligence for viewership to protect us from inane mental dislocations.
Duh… I losing me head thinky thing. (Drooling)

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
This comparison is hurting my brain! Seriously comparing a Honda Element to a JT is brain dead. How about we all Jeep wave to Smart cars and Motorcycles because they should all be compared as well due to having engines.
The JT still does better than a Rollerskate uphill. Maybe we should race the JT against a boat! Or a Snail!
We need warnings like ratings of intelligence for viewership to protect us from inane mental dislocations.
Duh… I losing me head thinky thing. (Drooling)
Someplace......there is a round padded room with your name above to door. They will tell you that for you to get out. You have to find the key to the door in the corner of the room.
Sponsored