Sponsored

Is it me, or does the JT really struggle...

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
The JT is a beast compared to my last truck, a 4Runner.
Sponsored

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
Compared to a 4cyl Honda Element the JT drags on hills. My 4cyl Honda Civic felt better. I have never owned a Jeep. Got a Patriot as a rental for a week, it was ok, felt underpowered. The JT drives GREAT for me, just the immediate wall it hits when there is any incline is surprising.
If u have gas v6 jeep, that engine likes to rev up high like old honda vtec to its reasonable torque level.

Honda element is slow unless u had a stick like mine which made it a little peppier.

Comparing 5000lbs jeep to a 3400lbs honda is like apples to orange!

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
If u have gas v6 jeep, that engine likes to rev up high like old honda vtec to its reasonable torque level.

Honda element is slow unless u had a stick like mine which made it a little peppier.

Comparing 5000lbs jeep to a 3400lbs honda is like apples to orange!
Fair

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The JT is a beast compared to my last truck, a 4Runner.
I had a 95 F250 w/351 and automatic. It towed my extremely heavy home built flat bed that a farmer made to haul tractors and farm equipment. I got it from an equipment scalper who hauled loads of things like plows, disks, tractors, you name it. A friend called it a box car on tires. Heavy I-beams for the frame. I think it may have been a mobile home base at one time due to the crazy axle and bud wheels. It had to weigh about 4,000 pounds empty. That truck did ok hauling it with a car or my F20 on it. Then I bought a lighter trailer for my cars. Eventually the truck got to the place that with about 5500-6,000 pounds behind it, I had to really keep the gas pedal down to keep the speed limit on the hills of I80 east here. Don't even think of the gas mileage. I always told people it was 10-12, full, empty, towing, not towing, up hill, down hill, with the wind, against the wind, always the same mpg.

Then I traded for my 2011 Silverado with the high-revving LS engine. It did a lot better hauling my cars around but really had to wind up on the hills to keep up the speed limits. MPG was at best about 11 through the hills here, when I hit IL or IN, mpg went up to 12-13. That was towing my PJ with car loaded on. About 5500-5700.

The JT - doesn't wind up quite as high. I see 3300-4400 on the hills. Not as tight as the LS wound, but then my wife told me to go buy a lighter trailer when I told her of the limitations of the Overland.
So to be fair - I now tow about 5,000 pounds - but again, the engine doesn't wind as tight and the last tow through Iowa into IL got me 13.9 average.
Better than either of my other trucks.
The trade-off? It's definitely not as solid on the road as the F250 or Silverado were but then it's lighter, and more narrow.

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
I love my diesel. There is a slight hesitation from a standstill, but it pulls like a freight train without revving high.
Speaking of hesitation, does anyone with the 3.6 also have hesitation when stepping on the gas?

Sponsored

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Speaking of hesitation, does anyone with the 3.6 also have hesitation when stepping on the gas?
Nope...If you feel hesitation, try downshifting with the gas peddle and you should be in a lower gear putting you in a stronger part of the power band. Also can do it with your shifter obviously even w/the automatic by putting it in the M mode I think they call it. I never needed to do that as I always do it with the gas peddle, but I did give it a test once and it works great.

It isn't an 8 cylinder, but with the flexible tranny, I have been very, very, pleased with the power after reading some negative reviews while I waited for Mojave.

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
Nope...If you feel hesitation, try downshifting with the gas peddle and you should be in a lower gear putting you in a stronger part of the power band. Also can do it with your shifter obviously even w/the automatic by putting it in the M mode I think they call it. I never needed to do that as I always do it with the gas peddle, but I did give it a test once and it works great.

It isn't an 8 cylinder, but with the flexible tranny, I have been very, very, pleased with the power after reading some negative reviews while I waited for Mojave.
Thanks for the response, I should have bee more specific. For me it pauses even from a standstill. I will have to adjust my ECM settings, that may be it.... I've had a few different programmers on it, currently using a Tazer.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yes - it's called traction control. If it believes you are going to slide or spin or break the tires loose, it backs off applying throttle.
If my hunch is right - hit the button to turn off traction control (all of this is in the book) and see if it's different.
I've had mine back the throttle off - scary moment - when I was waiting 5 minutes to make a left turn in heavy commute traffic and nailed it when I saw an opening any of my other vehicles would have zipped through, and it backed off the throttle. DAM! I pumped the gas and it did take off and I made it, BARELY.
Then another time, a damp intersection I was at a stop. There was a bit of sand as there often is in Iowa due to the stuff they spread by the billions of tons each winter - not a lot, just a bit, at this other intersection.
I hit the gas to make my turn and onto the other road and I WISH traction control would have worked! The thing SPUN both tires like it was in the water box at Cordova and swung the ass-end sideways! My wife asked "WHAT are you doing?!" and I told her - every other time I try to take off it slows the throttle response and traction control kicks in - this time it acted like it was a direct cable connection to dual quads sitting on a big V8.
Unreal. I waited for some more cars to pass, hit the gas - bingo, tires spin, truck swings sideways. So I waited and tried again, this time only giving it SOME throttle and it got through, but like granny was driving.

So - who knows what it's thinking LOL
I'm alone in the truck and it balks and hesitates and won't give me throttle.
Wife in truck with me - it takes off like I'm driving my Javelin trying to best my time or something.

My conclusion - these trucks are female. There's no explaining or understanding them.

India-ThreeZeroThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport, 1995 YJ Cummins R2.8
Occupation
Retired slug. Drive RVs to Alaska
Why yes. I hesitate to step on the gas every time I see the posted gas prices

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
I think my hesitation is the waiting on the turbos to kick in. Diesels kind of drag at idle anyway.

Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
...going up hills. I swear, I could be driving it empty and it still drops the mpgs and sounds like it struggles even up small grades. Today I drove it up a park road (pavement) ranging from 9-11 degrees and it dropped all the way down to 2nd gear.

On highways, any hill requires pretty good gas pedal depression to maintain speed. I can IMMEDIATELY feel when there is even a slight slope because the Jeep will slow down in 2 seconds.

ETA: paved road hills. Off road it is great!
Coming from a Tacoma TRDPro MT to a JTR MT, I have no complaints. The JT is waaay better.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Mine is surprisingly fast unloaded with 37’s and 3.5” lift.
Mine is a May 2019 build Max Tow. I have 80,000 miles on it and I’ve been very impressed with heavy towing(close to 8000#s) and daily driving. Still has the stock 4:10’s. You do need to let her run higher rpm’s and towing I use the manual shift mode with great results.

I know what power is, as my DD is a 2013 sleeper built Mustang GT convertible with a built 5.0 coyote, lots of handling upgrades and manual 6 speed.

I love my JT and the 8 speed Auto!

A7BB3CD2-4516-4957-88D6-EC9D9A53890C.jpeg

B872A81A-69F3-4DD2-8724-B34D92C27FBA.jpeg

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
The trade-off? It's definitely not as solid on the road as the F250 or Silverado were but then it's lighter, and more narrow.
Just saw this comment from a while ago. I just upgrade from stock highway tires to LT E-rated tires. Feels much more solid now. This might be what you are missing on your Overland.

Toten Unterhosen

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I was prepared to be disappointed coming from a WK2 EcoDiesel. While I loved the power and the torque, the constant recalls, extra expense of maintenance and whatnot dimmed the experience. My 3.6 Mojave has been all over mountains, dunes, and lots of freeway and I’ve been pretty happy with it overall. It will wind up a bit, but even with a full “Broverland” load, it does pretty well No matter where I take it.
Sponsored