Sponsored

Is the factory LED light upgrade worth it?

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
My aftermarket LED bulbs work great!!! Why finance $1000 over 5 years when you can upgrade for $100?
I suppose the relevant question is, did your upgrade cause all the problems with unwanted light patterns discussed in many posts above? If not, then I imagine a lot of folks would want to emulate you choice.
Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Well when that blanket comment is true, I'm going to make it. I have yet to see a set of LEDs in a reflector housing that doesn't have blinding errant light. If you can prove otherwise I'm all ears.
Not sure what constitutes proof, but these were all pretty civilized.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I suppose the relevant question is, did your upgrade cause all the problems with unwanted light patterns discussed in many posts above? If not, then I imagine a lot of folks would want to emulate you choice.
Depends in what you consider a problem. When I installed them I did it at dusk and parked 20 ft from my garage door. The light lined up in the exact same spot on the garage door with a lot more "errant" light lighting up to the sides. I've had them installed for 4 months and haven't been flashed.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Not sure what constitutes proof, but these were all pretty civilized.
Yeah I've seen that and it's definitely less than scientific testing. They're focused on nothing more than lux which is great for measuring peak output but testing pattern that close to the wall in a square room narrow enough that you can see the corners in frame and with light walls isn't great for pattern due to bounce.

Sponsored

DesertRunner

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Giulia
Here's some actual data:
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/jeep/wrangler-4-door-suv/2020#headlights

Although rated P by IIHS, I would still get them again, comparing against the Alfa Romeo Giulia High Performance Bi-Xenons I had before, which are rated G. I like the Jeep LEDs better, especially with the fogs on. Like someone said before, I was planning on adding lights on my aux switches, but feel there's no need. One caveat is that I don't drive in snow and don't have a need for heated lights. If I did, I would fab some lamp heaters to the aux switch and still opt for the LED package.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I had the factory LED's on my 2017 JKUR and was very impressed. I have the LED bulbs in the new gladiator and its fine. Not nearly as good as factory LED, but factory isn't $900+ better.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I've had some Nilight stuff and it's cheap. 42" light bar, 4" and 7" round LEDs, they filled with water after rain and inside filled with condensation.
Yeah, there's reason good lights are expensive. The cheap stuff ends up being a waste of money. Some people are happy with the cheap lights, but I would be disappointed. I guess I'm a light snob. ;)

Sponsored

Hutzell

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Design
100% worth it if your budget allows. Wife has on her JLU so it was a must have for me when I was looking for my gladiator

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
No way are they actually 185W each. Those housing would dissipate that much. They’re basically a flood light. If you want to see things way far out, you need good optics- either a projector or good reflector. The more light they throw out up close, the less your eyes will perceive far away.
I has a set of Bosch Rally 225 “Big Knick” lights on my Tundra with 135W halogen bulbs. Made for very relaxed driving out in the boonies.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
No way are they actually 185W each. Those housing would dissipate that much. They’re basically a flood light. If you want to see things way far out, you need good optics- either a projector or good reflector. The more light they throw out up close, the less your eyes will perceive far away.
I has a set of Bosch Rally 225 “Big Knick” lights on my Tundra with 135W halogen bulbs. Made for very relaxed driving out in the boonies.
If they're a proper ripoff of the ARB lights then those are probably decent lights and I can say the ARBs have a great throw. If they're a half-assed ripoff then probably not but 185W is not that much with how many LEDs are in the array and those are like 9" lights.

That said, fuck companies who rip off others' designs and I would not buy their shit out of principle.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
One of my must haves was the led package. My first Jeep was a TJ, and the stock lights just plain suck. I swapped them with Truck Lite leds and the difference was night to day! As long as they are aimed correctly. My stock JT lights were not aimed exactly correct from the factory. Something everyone should check and adjust.
I knew the JT led headlights would be brighter, but the main reason for my requirement was the tail lights.
The Gladiators led tail lights are just bad a$$! That's my opinion.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
My old truck means keeping it old school. Lights will be invisible until they light up. Either that or maybe in a vintage casing like the old KC lights of that time period. I like front lights. Never understood lighting up your own hood - to hard to see past it. So no roof or door placement. Placing will be on the front bumper (KC style vintage case but what guts?) or inside the grille with a beam that shoots out (guts and case irrelevant but it better be a good beam). Dunno.
Sponsored