First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Kch, first off my sympathies. We are all on borrowed time and one of the things that Jeepers have is a love for the time we do have. Prayers sent.

Overall I would not worry too much about your build and I am a weight Nazi ...

BUT, if I were to suggest some options they would be these:

1. Ditch the rear bumper and hitch. Install the factory bumper and enjoy the trip.
2. Consider deleting the front bumper and winch as well. If you are only doing moderate trails this is unnecessary. I have overlanded in several continents and have never actually used a winch. I just donā€™t go where I would have that need... so far, so good!
3. Do a rear seat delete and build a platform. I posted a thread on this forum on my build and did it for less than $100 compared to the $1000 cost from Goose Gear...
ā€˜Hereā€™s the link:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...seat-delete-platform-for-less-than-100.36228/

Go enjoy your life!
Sponsored

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Thatā€™s a lot of steel, aluminum rocks. That said, your gross vehicle weight is about CYA. Itā€™s based in what will fail first. I think I remember on the Gladiator itā€™s tires and wheels first. Then brakes, suspension, and axles.

Since you are focused on celebrating life and love your build, I would say screw the weight rating and just build up the stuff that will improve your trucks ability to handle the weight if that is a concern.

OP
OP

Kch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon,1932 ford sedan,1932 ford coupe,1931 ford sedan,1959 Olds custom1959 Olds custom
Thanks for all the replies. Lots of good advise.

chadinsc

First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 jku rubicon
Occupation
manufacturing
Very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Unless wrenching on that awesome rig enjoyable to you, which it likely is, i think we all enjoy that. i wouldnā€™t spend another minute on it and hit the road and love every minute of life. and definitely send us pictures of your build/journey.

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Im looking at that same rear bumper and winch add. My question is after the winch install is there still room for the spare tire. I'm running 35's Falkin MT's

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon,1932 ford sedan,1932 ford coupe,1931 ford sedan,1959 Olds custom1959 Olds custom
Im looking at that same rear bumper and winch add. My question is after the winch install is there still room for the spare tire. I'm running 35's Falkin MT's
When I bought the Road Armour rear bumper I was told that a 33 inch tire would fit, but I didn't try it. My Kenda 35 x 10.5 will not fit. The tire hits the control box. It might work if you relocate the control box but I can't be sure. Hope that helps.

Boogerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Sooo... I'm back again asking for advice on the weight of my JTR. I love my Jeep, but I'm concerned about how much weight I'm carrying. My intended use is moderate trails, overlanding, camping. I have only picked the items for my Jeep that I really wanted but the weight adds up quickly. I'd like to give you guys and gals a list of my build and get your thoughts on it. Started with a 2020 JTR fully loaded.

Added:
Steel fab 4 matrix front bumper with Smitty built 10 K synthetic winch.
Steel Road Armor rear bumper with Warn 8500 winch.
Rebel Off Road full height rack.
iKamper 2.0 Sky camp RTT
Sky Jacker 2.5 front/1.0 rear leveling kit
Vector bar on dash for electronics with 67 design phone mounts x 2,go pro mount and Garmin off road mount.
Go pro 8.
Garmin Over Lander.
Midland 40 watt GMRS radio.
Rock Krawler Motor and transmission skid plates.
Kenda Klever RT 35 x 10.5 tires
Two 2 inch KC backup lights on rear bumper
Six 3 inch square flood lights on the rack.
2 Piaa 9 inch lights on front bumper.
Skid plate in receiver hitch.
Custom GMRS antenna mount.
Hot Heads headlines. Two Elements fire extinguishers.
3 soft shackles.
4 bow shackles.
tree protector
1 30 foot tow rope
1 30 foot kinetic Bubba rope
small tool set (I mean really small)
Duct tape, zip ties, first aid kit, two flashlights.

I realize that my steel bumpers are heavy and that carrying an extra winch also adds to the weight. But I really like this build.
I weighed the truck on some CAT scales with a full tank of gas but no passengers. It weighs exactly 6200 pounds.
This does not include my spare, my Safe jack, my dual arb portable compressor, ARB Elements 63 quart fridge, any camping gear/food or passengers.
I know I'm over weight and am not sure what to do. I don't really want to go to a bigger truck. I see lots of builds similar to mine with no mention of weight. What do you Guys and Gals think. I'm willing to do upgrades if needed and cost is not really an issue.

I have a terminal illness and have been given about 9 months to live. I have been building this truck over the last year, to take on an Epic road adventure with my wife as soon as school is out. It has been good therapy for me. She is a school teacher. I just want to make sure we are all sorted before we set out. All replies are welcome.
not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I think a big issue withbeing over weight is stopping power.

You can fix that with a brake upgrade and be good to go

Fast Eddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2021/Toyota 4 Runner 2013
Occupation
Small Business Owner
Great looking rig!!! Now get out there and have a good time. Make sure your wife gets to drive it, operate the features, knows the particulars so she can also enjoy it when you are no longer around. Every time she is in it, a smile should be on her face remembering you. I am keeping my fingers crossed for both of you. Cheers

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SingGray JTRD, 2012 Dozer JK, 2014 GC
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
Firstly, my prayers join those above for you. It should give us all pause to consider our time spent. I respect your choice to do something special with your wife.

You said you were at 6200 with a full tank, no passengers.... plus the other items you later listed I'd guess are about 200lb. Im not sure if that was your door sticker on an earlier post listing 6480 GAWR, but if so, you are about at the limit without passengers or luggage. So I think you only need a couple hundred pounds to get it back in the ballpark.

Money might not be a factor for you, but I'm sure time is... so I'll take a stab at prioritizing both the good suggestions above and any others based on quick fix... and then I'd echo the sentiments to get out there!

1) Drop the rear bumper and winch and put the stock bumper back on.
2) Drop one pair of rototrax
3) Do the rear seat delete (70lb)
... thats probably more than 200lb, maybe 300lb right there. If you can get your hands on some aluminum skids pretty quickly, then maybe do that... then you are probably in the 350lb savings range.

I find the springs on the JT rubicon to be pretty soft unloaded, so with your load, you are probably taxing the springs more than the other factors (axles, tires, breaks, engine). So for insurance on the springs, I'd swap out the bumpstops for some Sumo Springs or Timbrens which would retain the initial road ride, and most of your articulation, but stabilize the spings under load. They are not that expensive or hard to install.

Then I'd just load it and drive.... Godspeed - Enjoy the beauty of creation around you, and cherish the companionship you are blessed with!

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
i've marveled at this 'overland' trend, sounds like a fine plan for those who plan to actually overland for months at a time living from their ride, for the weekend warrior though...any good mountain hiking shop can outfit you ultralight style, as a long time mountain hunter i could not imagine bolting that much crap to my rig UNLESS i was going to live out of it for months at a time, it would otherwise ruin a perfectly fun versatile daily driver

definitely do lists! wants/needs etc. change center of gravity as little as possible imo and keep your garage shelving for all the mission specific gear, load up for your mission and unload when you're back so you have a normal fun and not dorky looking ride for the 99% of time you're not camping lol, sorry to hack on this trend but many dollars being spent for what? how many overland rigs are actually overlanding? go minimalist backpacking type theme and you'll be draggin so much less into the wilderness, offroading will be easier, and if you're hanging out with a bunch of built rigs you get to be the unique one who used your brain instead of your wallet on the right set up, always buck the trends, be the wolf, not the sheep ;)

i could not imagine my beautiful and fun ride permanently defiled with 1500 lbs of gear that comes in handy for a bit of camping here and there, it's your money

if you can live off your back and go all the places you're going to go with your jeep....imagine what you could carry from the backpackers perspective if you had a jeep to do so? apply that logic and i bet you'd drop 1000 lbs of crap from your set up, and probably 10,000 dollars lol

Sponsored

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
You and me both brother! Love your rig!

IMG_5885.jpeg
what was start weight?

my 'sport plus' is 5150 lbs full of gas with my tool and gear box, high lift jack, recovery boards, shovel, rubber bed mat, 37's and 4.88's and a couple subs under back seat, stayed minimalist, i wasn't far off in guessing 1500 lbs of stuff the overlanders are adding to their machines...and is that 6480 lbs with all the food/water/clothes etc.? actually packed for the trip?

build an RV or buy one or a trailer, what about a nice daily ride then? crap i hunt/paddle board, camp on and off grid, tent or built cargo trailer, ice fish, i do way too many different things on top of regular family duty to bolt 1500 lbs of gear unless i was living out of it for months on end or had a second vehicle

mission specific gear goes on shelving in the garage, versatility is key, that's the swiss army knife way to do this, load and go, unload when back

Lucrob

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
PPF & Large format graphics production
Sooo... I'm back again asking for advice on the weight of my JTR. I love my Jeep, but I'm concerned about how much weight I'm carrying. My intended use is moderate trails, overlanding, camping. I have only picked the items for my Jeep that I really wanted but the weight adds up quickly. I'd like to give you guys and gals a list of my build and get your thoughts on it. Started with a 2020 JTR fully loaded.

Added:
iKamper 2.0 Sky camp RTT
Vector bar on dash for electronics with 67 design phone mounts x 2,go pro mount and Garmin off road mount.
Go pro 8.
Garmin Over Lander.
3 soft shackles.
4 bow shackles.
tree protector
1 30 foot tow rope
small
I too have a illness but don't know when or how long I have. Bought a JT Rubicon and added a winch and going to get the Soper Pacific Camper in June. All I can suggest is keep it simple, you'll most likely never need most of what you have there, just get out there and get going ASAP.

Bouncing over rocks is the most negative impacting thing you can do. So avoiding the gymnastic associated with taking the most challenging trials is the simplest, most effective step you can take to avoid breaking down and instead have a stress free, enjoyable time.

God bless your courage. I'll pray for an unexplored path that defies the logic your medical team is throwing at you.

True North Health Center has extended my life. Santa Rosa California. Dr. Alan Goldhamer.. He won't make false promises, but he will do for you what conventional medicine scoffs at.

Added:
iKamper 2.0 Sky camp RTT
Go pro 8.
Garmin Over Lander.
3 soft shackles.
4 bow shackles.
tree protector
1 30 foot tow rope

I realize that my steel bumpers are heavy and that carrying an extra winch also adds to the weight. But I really like this build.
I weighed the truck on some CAT scales with a full tank of gas but no passengers. It weighs exactly 6200 pounds.
This does not include my spare, my Safe jack, my dual arb portable compressor, ARB Elements 63 quart fridge, any camping gear/food or passengers.
I know I'm over weight and am not sure what to do. I don't really want to go to a bigger truck. I see lots of builds similar to mine with no mention of weight. What do you Guys and Gals think. I'm willing to do upgrades if needed and cost is not really an issue.

I have a terminal illness and have been given about 9 months to live. I have been building this truck over the last year, to take on an Epic road adventure with my wife as soon as school is out. It has been good therapy for me. She is a school teacher. I just want to make sure we are all sorted before we set out. All replies are welcome.
I can't help it.... would it kill you to drop some weight? Seriously though... have you done a needs vs wants checklist?

Tough break, sounds like you are going out with a blast though so lets skip that. Needs and wants. Needs and wants.
Please! HJm going out is just some guys opinion. Doctors are wrong just as often as they're right.

See Dr. Alan Goldhamer my friend, at True North Health Clinic in Santa Rosa CA. He won't make any false promises, or try to take every last dime. But what he will do is present you with non invasive alternatives, that if they do work for you like they did for me, your visits to your oncologist will be moved out of the mandatory column.

Keep fighting. And forget about your JTR, like mine, your ready now. Tell your wife to check out early and go...

Lucrob

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
PPF & Large format graphics production
Harsh, but I agree with that mindset completely.

Get out there and fill gaps as they arise rather than addressing what you THINK you'll encounter. But above all, get started. If it's as much fun as you think I'll be, you'll deeply regret the lost time spent in the starting blocks.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!

Added:
iKamper 2.0 Sky camp RTT
Go pro 8.
Garmin Over Lander.
3 soft shackles.
4 bow shackles.
tree protector
1 30 foot tow rope

Kevin, go for it! You've worked for it, you've dreamed, go for the gusto...live your dreams! You deserve it! Go, go, go for it....we are all with you!

WemoVealot

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO, 2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
what was start weight?

my 'sport plus' is 5150 lbs full of gas with my tool and gear box, high lift jack, recovery boards, shovel, rubber bed mat, 37's and 4.88's and a couple subs under back seat, stayed minimalist, i wasn't far off in guessing 1500 lbs of stuff the overlanders are adding to their machines...and is that 6480 lbs with all the food/water/clothes etc.? actually packed for the trip?

build an RV or buy one or a trailer, what about a nice daily ride then? crap i hunt/paddle board, camp on and off grid, tent or built cargo trailer, ice fish, i do way too many different things on top of regular family duty to bolt 1500 lbs of gear unless i was living out of it for months on end or had a second vehicle

mission specific gear goes on shelving in the garage, versatility is key, that's the swiss army knife way to do this, load and go, unload when back
Thanks for your critique and advice.
Of course I donā€™t need to bring the cap, tent, fridge, bumper, winch, dog, family and car seats. But that would defeat the purpose. Glad you were able to make it work and provide your opinion.
Sponsored