First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
One factor is the engine, if the Bronco had a V6 , I would have waited and looked at one. Back in the day I had a 74 302, loved the truck. In our case the Gladiator did kill a Wrangler sale we were going to replace our 13 Sport.
you mean a NA v6?
Sponsored

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
A number of people have asked about mine - I tell them I love it.
There have been at least 3 ladies asking because their husbands were interested in Jeeps and also said they needed a small truck. I suggested this could be both.
I hope my discussions with the people who have asked resulted in at least 2 or 3 sales. I've been stopped by some guys exiting businesses as I was going in and they saw me get out of the JT and asked about it.
Last year (2019) JT exposure was dismal - almost nothing for ads on TV and I'd have not really known about it except for being in a dealership as my wife was having her Grand Cherokee serviced. Other than me driving mine almost exclusively this year, I bet very few people in Iowa have seen one on the road!
Seems to me even those that Spencer sells end up leaving the state! Some go a fair distance.
We've reached the density now that I pretty well see at least one other Gladiator everytime I take a trip into town. And lately I've been seeing a white one just about everyday go by my house.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Jeep beat the bronco to market so they have a first share. Jeep diesel has its own share. The cannibalism will be inside ford, ford will lose internally most. Not a lot of dudes are going to buy a Jeep and a bronco. Those that do will cross cancel. So on balance, the Jeep units will keep this level of market share and growth. And last, it's the electric jeep truck that will be the market disrupter. Jeep goes electric and that's a whole other market.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for posting. Looks like JT will have some staying power.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Well I was wondering if they were selling any better. Last year and earlier this year I barely ever saw any gladiators on the road anywhere around me and now I am seeing them alot. Just today I saw 3 when I was pulling into the parking lot of the Walmart. Two were brand new one Rubicon and two Sport S version. Have had so many people ask me about it when I am outside and they walk buy my driveway. Mostly the folks asking about it or such have been middle age to older folks. Most are all the same, man I want a jeep but need a truck and this is great. Guessing also folks getting better pricing has helped some on sales

Sponsored

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep beat the bronco to market so they have a first share. Jeep diesel has its own share. The cannibalism will be inside ford, ford will lose internally most. Not a lot of dudes are going to buy a Jeep and a bronco. Those that do will cross cancel. So on balance, the Jeep units will keep this level of market share and growth. And last, it's the electric jeep truck that will be the market disrupter. Jeep goes electric and that's a whole other market.
The Gladiator is a truck, the bronco is a SUV. Jeep may have beat them with their updated Wrangler or the Wrangler Hemi but the Gladiator didn't beat the Bronco to market, Ford beat Jeep with the Raptor, Toyota with there TRD. But Jeep beat Bronco by years with everything since the TJ when Ford gave up on the market.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The Gladiator is a truck, the bronco is a SUV. Jeep may have beat them with their updated Wrangler or the Wrangler Hemi but the Gladiator didn't beat the Bronco to market, Ford beat Jeep with the Raptor, Toyota with there TRD. But Jeep beat Bronco by years with everything since the TJ when Ford gave up on the market.
Glad you made the distinction. All true. Jeep is the first jeep, you could argue it was originally built by ford but it's known as jeep. So that piece is cemented. The first bronco didn't steal jeep share, it just expanded the market imo. So then the willy's truck never competed with the ford trucks but it was unique. Fast forward, Jeep still doesn't compete with ford truck, won't ever. Jeep truck is a niche vehicle. As for the new bronco, I still think it's a ford truck guy who always wanted a jeep who gets one. There is no entry level pricing, so the way we grew up is not the same as now. In our life, you could get into a Jeep or a bronco in your first or second job. Now, I'm not sure of that. I think the new vehicles are career guy vehicles. You get a used one when younger. I could be wrong, but I'm saying the bronco is an add to market, not a stealer of market share, and not a stealer of jeep wrangler or jeep truck market share in huge numbers. More like a shave than a haircut.

PunknJLBlackJT

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon and 2021 Grand Cherokee L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Estimator for Pharma facilities
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else notice its the only one on the list with a positive year to date sales increase. By 144% that's pretty impressive.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else notice its the only one on the list with a positive year to date sales increase. By 144% that's pretty impressive.
I would hope an increase as last year was the intro and sales would not be great in year one when the only real marketing was word of mouth and them sitting on dealer lots. Only Jeep extreme fans really even knew about them for almost a year.
Also consider that other makes didn't increase due to COVID-19 related issues - shutting plants down, for example, short work hours, short staffing, supply and parts shortages.
Of course others went down.
We looked all over for a Grand Cherokee for my wife this year - she was ready to trade. No dealers had any selection, some had none at all, and most said "we can't get them yet". So how would the GC sales increase.
In short, you really can't read much into those charts at all as far as other vehicles.

But maybe you knew all that and were more tongue-in-cheek...............

Consider that for the last 10 years, Grand Cherokee has averaged about 200,000 units per year according to a couple automotive magazines. That's pretty impressive in itself.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I would hope an increase as last year was the intro and sales would not be great in year one when the only real marketing was word of mouth and them sitting on dealer lots. Only Jeep extreme fans really even knew about them for almost a year.
Also consider that other makes didn't increase due to COVID-19 related issues - shutting plants down, for example, short work hours, short staffing, supply and parts shortages.
At the end of Q3 last year, the Gladiator had only been orderable for 2 quarters and had only been physically on dealer lots (in small numbers) for what, one quarter?, so it's really only a comparison of 1 quarter in 2019 vs 3 quarters in 2020. In that light, it's really not an increase at all.

Sponsored

WDvl_504

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 2020 JLU Rubi
Occupation
Retired Infantryman, Contractor, Home School Principal, Counselor, and lunch lady
Vehicle Showcase
Very little effect on Wrangler sales. I sellFCA products for a living. I see a lot of people that were not in the Jeep market until this. Just like I never was but I fell in love with the gladiator after driving it for a few days.

I’ve only had a single Wrangler traded in towards a Gladiator. People who want Wranglers that’s all they want. It found a small niche and it’s rocking it. We sell 1 gladiator to every 5.5 Wranglers.

I Traded my 13 JKU OM in on a Gladiator, but the wife had a brand new JLUR...I had wanted a truck for years but refused to get rid of my Jeep. Now that I am financially able to make it happen, I'm keeping the gladiator as my "truck" and looking for a CJ project LOL.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I think that's pretty impressive considering practically zero legacy truck buyers. However, I wonder how these Gladiator sales have impacted Wrangler and other Jeep model sales.
Well, wrangler is off a little, and no doubt, some of those are Gladiator sales instead. Not bad at all, considering the overall Covid sales slump this year. Its still on Track for 200k units.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I used current inventory numbers to adjust Colorado and Ranger numbers for 4wd Crew models only, and you wind up with a very equal 22k from from Ford, Chevy and Jeep.

Yossarian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Retired
I will say the Gladiator checks a lot of boxes for me over the Wrangler at this stage of my life along with future needs. I already have a 4WD SUV in addition to my Wrangler and the Gladiator may be my next 4x4 purchase.

Last edited:

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
If Jeep wants to have a truck there is a market. It's the coolest and the best and the only for what it does. I'm impressed they knew about how many. Cancel the pandemic and they hit target pretty well. I think they would sell as many as they make if they had a base model in the low 20s, but that's settled and won't happen. Still to be determined is this: it's the flagship, highest priced model. I still haven't figured out what s next. Are they or have they come out with a grand cherokee off this platform that is higher base price? Where does it go from here...
Sponsored