Sponsored

Jeep Gladiator XMT Light Tactical Vehicle announced by FCA and AM General

Cshadow2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting grey sport S JT
The deal for us in SOF is stuff that will fit inside a V22. I‘m not sure if it will, but none of the regular military’s vehicles do currently. We have some options already but they mostly just carry dudes and guns. Something that could carry resupply or bigger weapons like mortars would be handy. You can only carry so much on DAGORs and MRazrs.

as For the tube doors I wouldn't use them, but someone Else might they like to give us options.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/jeep-am-general-team-up-on-military-spec-gladiator-pickup

I'm actually quite excited about this and may trade my Sport Max Tow for it. Or realistically buy as my second Jeep by the time it actually hits the market (recall how long the new service pistol program took to actually materialize)

Yes, I understand military-spec is essentially lowest bidder to do the minimum function required. I'm hoping with being used for military purposes it will have a greater payload capacity and stronger frame, axles, etc.
Considering that announcement was made a year ago, and there has been nothing new seen...

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S

Sponsored

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel

Sponsored

Strider62

First Name
C.B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A5; Gladiator Overland
It
649 being delivered from GM isn't exactly a massive run of military vehicles. There are probably that many humvees within a 5 mile radius of my current location (which includes an army base).
It would be enough to equip 15 battalions of light infantry. That's very roughly about 2 divisions, and there isn't very much light infantry in the Army anymore. Mechanized infantry won't have much use for them outside of headquarters and support units. My guess is that some will go to Special Forces, and most will go to the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions. Just saying...it's a niche vehicle and the Army doesn't need a whole lot of them.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
It

It would be enough to equip 15 battalions of light infantry. That's very roughly about 2 divisions, and there isn't very much light infantry in the Army anymore. Mechanized infantry won't have much use for them outside of headquarters and support units. My guess is that some will go to Special Forces, and most will go to the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions. Just saying...it's a niche vehicle and the Army doesn't need a whole lot of them.
I see these gladiator designs more for admin/support roles. I am thinking the M677 in the 60s, flight line duty possibly an ambulance conversion etc... With upgraded axles to fit the 'standard' wheels/tires the payload could see a significant increase. There are plenty other heavy armor vehicles and vehicles like GMs glorified tube caged side by side to take up those roles. Just because GM got a contract does not mean they got THE contract.

Strider62

First Name
C.B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A5; Gladiator Overland
Looks like Jeep didn't even compete:

Army Receives First Infantry Squad Vehicles for Carrying Foot Soldiers into the Fight

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Gladiator XMT Light Tactical Vehicle announced by FCA and AM General pub-gm-infantry-squad-vehicle-1800

The ISV, made by GM Defense and its partner Ricardo Defense, is the latest Army effort to equip troops with modernized battlefield transport. (Photo courtesy of GM Defense)

27 Oct 2020

Military.com | By Matthew Cox

The Army now has its first four lightweight Infantry Squad Vehicles that are specially designed to carry infantry foot soldiers into battle.
The delivery of the first four ISVs, made by GM Defense, and its partner Ricardo Defense, is part of a 650-vehicle deal worth up to $214.3 million intended to equip infantry brigade combat teams with vehicles built with commercial components designed for desert racing.
Advertisement

"Our expeditionary ISV is a light and agile all-terrain troop carrier, which is intended to transport a nine-soldier infantry squad, moving throughout the battlefield," David Albritton, president of GM Defense told an audience today at a delivery ceremony.
Read Next: Surgeon General Cites Horrific Tuskegee Experiment, Voices Vaccine Distribution Concerns
The ISV, based on the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2, is designed to be air-droppable by C-130 Hercules or C-17 Globemaster aircraft, sling-loaded by a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter or internally carried by CH-47 Chinook helicopter.
Advertisement

It features 35-inch tires, impact-absorbing suspension, electronic power steering, and antilock brakes, according to GM officials. The ISV also has a custom rollover protection system designed to provide overhead protection for the four soldiers in the back of the vehicle.
The ISV concept emerged in 2015 when Army officials at the Maneuver Warfare Conference at Fort Benning, Georgia, stressed that light infantry units needed an ultra-light combat vehicle for forced-entry operations.
GM Defense and Ricardo competed against teams from Flyer Defense LLC and Oshkosh Defense LLC, as well as SAIC and Polaris Inc., in the initial rapid-prototyping phase of the effort in 2019.
The ISV is the latest Army effort to equip troops with modernized battlefield transport. In 2015, the service selected Oshkosh to build the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle, a joint Army-Marine Corps program to replace the Cold War-era Humvee. But the Army has since slowed its fielding plan for JLTV as part of an effort to shave billions of dollars off of existing programs to fund future modernization efforts.
"This platform will be a game-changer for the infantry brigade combat teams ... and was designed to move across restricted terrain, allowing soldiers to close on an objective with less fatigue and greater readiness," said Michael Sprang, Project Manager for the Joint Program Office, Joint Light Tactical Vehicle.
In addition to the JLTV, Spring's office oversees other vehicle programs, such as the Humvee and the new ISV.
The first four production ISV vehicles will go to 1st BCT, 82nd Airborne Division for further testing, Army officials have said.
GM is slated to deliver 649 ISVs to the Army by fiscal 2024. Before that happens, the Army will conduct an operational test and evaluation phase next year to assess the vehicle's "operational relevance and capability," Steve Herrick, product lead for Ground Mobility Vehicles in the Joint Program Office, JLTV.
If all goes well, the Army will equip 11 IBCTs with 59 ISVs each by fiscal 2024, Herrick said.
Editor's Note: This story has been updated to correct two name misspellings.
-- Matthew Cox can be reached at [email protected].

Related: Army Contracts with GM for New Infantry Vehicle Based on Chevy Colorado

Cshadow2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting grey sport S JT
Flyer defense won the Army SOF contract a few years back the 82nd has been testing different platforms for about 2 years. its Been crazy that number is probably just for the 82nd
Sponsored