Jeep Straight 6 Long Block in a JT

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
They had a lot of failures in 96. I don’t really know why. Mine was a 96 and I knew some others that did too and the deal ship who replaced it helped me getting it replaced under goodwill because they’d had so many failures.

the ‘00 and ‘01s cracked heads like crazy. 99s seem to be pretty solid.
Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
IDK. I'll ask for advice and follow it when the time comes. What I won't do is have a jeep engine that relies on PCM or ess or a transmission that learns my shift pattern to help me or a Jeep that learns my steering pattern to guide me or a truck that has adaptive cruise control. I'm not buying a performance vehicle, I'm buying a Jeep.

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I'll be that 'other' guy. I'm 100% with the OP. Just thinking about it today, putting that straight six in there with no goofy tech, into an LE.
Goofy tech? Oh you mean that tech that allows modern engines to pump out great torque and hp with superior efficiency and less pollution? Gotcha.

I understand it's nice being able to work on any aspect of the engine yourself but come on.....

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
To the original question, the answer is that it will not fit. Simple as that. The hemi engine barely fits and there is no way two more cylinders can be wedged in there.

52690FA0-183E-483B-A446-3EE72FE0273A.jpeg

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Goofy tech? Oh you mean that tech that allows modern engines to pump out great torque and hp with superior efficiency and less pollution? Gotcha.

I understand it's nice being able to work on any aspect of the engine yourself but come on.....
Nope. I mean the tech that wont work in future years, orphaned, unfixable, leaving me without a working vehicle and a ton of work arounds. I had PCM issues once. I had electronics go haywire once. I've met the mechanics who need a code to diagnose once. You enjoy your badass version, and I'm happy for you. I'll keep mine, simpler also badass version. Yes, I'll own an electric vehicle at some point, yes I enjoy tech as much as the next person. Just not on my Jeep truck. I'll buy a POS driver for all that. We've been through this all on the forum, different people do different things. All good. But dont try to tell me a Jeep truck requires adaptive cruise, anticipatory shifting that learns me, power steering that intuits course corrections. On the engine, I just want the one right before all this goofy tech arrived, and, of course it'll need to fit. Cheers, it's a great truck for all who want it the way it is, or modified...:like::rock:

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I can still get a PCM for the 94 ZJ engine in my SX4. I can get almost any part for that engine - and had I used the transmission, too - I can get the control boxes for that.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I can still get a PCM for the 94 ZJ engine in my SX4. I can get almost any part for that engine - and had I used the transmission, too - I can get the control boxes for that.
My problem is being too stubborn, not being as knowledgeable as some.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My problem is being too stubborn, not being as knowledgeable as some.
Ah, so you are human. ;-) Good to know.

I think I have a trophy somewhere for 1st place stubborn. It's a trait my mother shared with me.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Ah, so you are human. ;-) Good to know.

I think I have a trophy somewhere for 1st place stubborn. It's a trait my mother shared with me.
Yup. But we haven't discussed much in the wide world of sports recently so I thought id say hello. I've been looking for humor to post but find nothing funny lately. Maybe I'll hunt go something up. I do love me that I6 though. Right now I'm testing out the tornado in my old jeep, that engine does work.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My neighbor said he knows where there's a late 40s Jeep pickup sitting under the lean-to of a barn nearby. He was going to ask if the guy wanted to get rid of it. I guess he knows this person. He said it sure reminds him of my JT........ he said it's Chevy powered now, a small block Chevy. I told him I had an AMC 401 sitting in my shop I wasn't sure what to do with. and I have another 4.0 sitting around, too, that could go into such a truck.
Sure wish I could get my hands on that truck!! It would be fun to put a Jeep 4.0 into a Jeep that old.
There'd be enough room front to back, and height, for a 4.0 in that truck.

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Straight 6 Long Block in a JT sx4-jeep-engine-008

Sponsored

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
🤤 if the 4.0L in my 2006 LJ craps out one day, I will be looking very hard at a stroker for it. By then they probably won't even be making the little Cummins 2.8 diesel anymore. Some sort of electric conversion will probably be available lol

On a related note, I'm also wondering about a straight 6 in the JT, that 'Tornado' engine seems would be a Tight fit, the 4.0/4.6 gotta be a lot longer...
one day long after we are all gone.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
They had a lot of failures in 96. I don’t really know why. Mine was a 96 and I knew some others that did too and the deal ship who replaced it helped me getting it replaced under goodwill because they’d had so many failures.

the ‘00 and ‘01s cracked heads like crazy. 99s seem to be pretty solid.
My '00 head cracked. I just put a crate engine from Jasper in it.

whysoserious

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, 2006 Rubicon
Occupation
Professional former employee
Specifically something like the Jeep 4.6L 270 HP EFI Turnkey Engine

Could it fit in the engine bay? and allow for all the other necessary components (including the larger alternator, cooling systems, etc)? I can't find any specifications on dimensions of the 3.6L Pentastar
Not meant to be exact, but my '06 4.0 is about 32" from the back of the block to the front of the water pump pulley. @ShadowsPapa can get something more accurate (mine is busy powering my Rubicon). Probably gonna be into the radiator in a JT.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Not meant to be exact, but my '06 4.0 is about 32" from the back of the block to the front of the water pump pulley. @ShadowsPapa can get something more accurate (mine is busy powering my Rubicon). Probably gonna be into the radiator in a JT.
It would probably fit, but nobody in their right mind would do it. There are so many better swap candidates.
Sponsored

Last edited: