Sponsored

Cost to do a Hemi 5.7 or 6.4 swap in a Jeep Gladiator?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
You're generally looking at $35K minimum and very much more for higher hp configurations. This came highly recommended to me and I'm seriously considering it for my '20 JTR. 425hp and 365 ft lbs torque. Less than $7500.
https://www.hamburgerssuperchargers.com/2018-20-Stage-I-425HP-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-24-Door-and-2020-’21-Gladiator-Supercharger-Kit-wCalibration-EO-Pending_p_150.html
You better double check this. I believe Mr Hamburger past away. It was mentioned in another thread.
Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
do your research on these guys. It’s not all favorable including from at least one member here whose spent 6 figures with them and now has lawyers involved.
Because his shit burned up lol, Sucks tho.

Being honest with myself, a 5.7 Hemi with 4.88s would be a perfect Mojave beach runner for me. If I wanna tear things up I'll hope in my Tahoe.

Last edited:

JarHeadLV

Banned
Banned
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mohave, 2020 Porsche 911 Turbo
Occupation
Financial Retirement Planner
Vehicle Showcase
These guys seem to do a great job from folks on YouTube and have different options.

https://www.amw4x4.com/

Lots of money, but would be AWESOME!!!
I don't know about their reputation. I spoke to them about an engine swap. What I can't "swallow" is the $2k they give you for your engine and tranny. I'd rather find my own buyer, sell for alot more money and then ship truck to get new motor install.

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
I don't know about their reputation. I spoke to them about an engine swap. What I can't "swallow" is the $2k they give you for your engine and tranny. I'd rather find my own buyer, sell for alot more money and then ship truck to get new motor install.
I am sure that is an option. Just need to discuss all that with them.

JarHeadLV

Banned
Banned
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am sure that is an option. Just need to discuss all that with them.
not sure what you mean. I spoke to AMW directly and that's what they told me directly. The only other option was take out engine and tranny before sending to them and sell on my own....which is what I would do. I dont mind paying for work to be done, but not going to "give away" a engine and tranny combo worth $10k for $2K (whatever its worth, but alot more than 2K)

Sponsored

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
I wish someone would produce a DIY kit ( and some good instructions) for a basic used or new 5.7.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
I wish someone would produce a DIY kit ( and some good instructions) for a basic used or new 5.7.
And I bet if these JTs keep being made, with these 3.6s, some will make a kit.

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
not sure what you mean. I spoke to AMW directly and that's what they told me directly. The only other option was take out engine and tranny before sending to them and sell on my own....which is what I would do. I dont mind paying for work to be done, but not going to "give away" a engine and tranny combo worth $10k for $2K (whatever its worth, but alot more than 2K)
Sorry, did not realize that you had actually asked them about having to pull the motor first then shipping the Jeep to them.

I just took the credit when I had mine done. Figured paying that amount I did not want to mess with any of it, plus that way I did not have to mess with getting rid of the motor myself and with my luck not making much more that what they gave me for it. But I do understand your feelings on the credit amount.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
The credit amount probably also factors in their labor to get this thing out. A quick ebay search shows the whole thing is really only worth about 4.5-5k maybe a bit more if it's really low miles so there isn't exactly a ton of money to be made on these.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I reached out to a company offering 392 automatic swaps at 32k about how much a 5.7 manual swap would be.

Guy admitted over the phone the 5.7 was a cheaper engine to buy, and the manual swap replaces the clutch assembly but reuses my trans (whereas the auto swap needs a new trans). Also stated the overall labor time was equal.

Yet somehow came back with a quote of 33.5 for the manual 5.7. Less expensive motor, no trans needed, same labor, and yet somehow more expensive.

I'm not looking to race my gladiator, I just want my terrible gas mileage to be justified with a more lively fun pedal. But at 36 with taxes? No thanks. I could buy a low mileage 124 for under 30k today for more spirited driving. And the other car would probably hold its value better than than a swapped motor. Even an out of production Miata clone with an Italian FI engine.

Sponsored

JarHeadLV

Banned
Banned
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, did not realize that you had actually asked them about having to pull the motor first then shipping the Jeep to them.

I just took the credit when I had mine done. Figured paying that amount I did not want to mess with any of it, plus that way I did not have to mess with getting rid of the motor myself and with my luck not making much more that what they gave me for it. But I do understand your feelings on the credit amount.
No worries. The actual cost do do a swap isn't cheap, but I can deal with it, but when you start looking at high horsepower hemi swaps and factoring in new axles, brakes (whatever else you need) combined with the $2K credit, I'd rather take that $60K or whatever amount and go lease a 911 turbo for a few years for my need for speed.

JarHeadLV

Banned
Banned
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The credit amount probably also factors in their labor to get this thing out. A quick ebay search shows the whole thing is really only worth about 4.5-5k maybe a bit more if it's really low miles so there isn't exactly a ton of money to be made on these.
Im not in "the know" but I'm pretty sure these guys like AMW are making a good ROI on their installs. Hemi swaps are unique and a small niche, anything like that is expensive and usually very profitable. I looked around the web also, it's really hard to believe you can buy a 3.6 Pentastar with tranny so low, but from my research the combo is selling in the $5K-$8K range for engines/tranny combos depending on mileage. Go to Mopar and probably pay $15K for the combo!!! My Mojave has 1,800 miles.....cant do it.

Seems like a good idea would be to purchase a very low mileage Pentastar for like $5K (no tranny) and build up internals, possibly a supercharger and sell or save original engine. Or just rebuild internals of current engine. I wonder if you could get 425hp - 500 hp on a build like that that reliable?

Last edited:

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Im not in "the know" but I'm pretty sure these guys like AMW are making a good ROI on their installs. Hemi swaps are unique and a small niche, anything like that is expensive and usually very profitable. I looked around the web also, it's really hard to believe you can buy a 3.6 Pentastar with tranny so low, but from my research the combo is selling in the $5K-$8K range for engines/tranny combos depending on mileage. Go to Mopar and probably pay $15K for the combo!!! My Mojave has 1,800 miles.....cant do it.

Seems like a good idea would be to purchase a very low mileage Pentastar for like $5K (no tranny) and build up internals, possibly a supercharger and sell or save original engine. Or just rebuild internals of current engine. I wonder if you could get 425hp - 500 hp on a build like that that reliable?
I just meant labor on engine removal which is probably 10ish hours or like 1-1.5k if you were going to pay for itso they're really giving you like 3.5k for the combo. On the hemis I'm sure they're making bank, but they also have all the R&D parts, labor, etc that goes in to it too. I think the higher end hellcat/demons are where they really kill.

JarHeadLV

Banned
Banned
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just meant labor on engine removal which is probably 10ish hours or like 1-1.5k if you were going to pay for itso they're really giving you like 3.5k for the combo. On the hemis I'm sure they're making bank, but they also have all the R&D parts, labor, etc that goes in to it too. I think the higher end hellcat/demons are where they really kill.
Makes sense

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Sounds like your heart wants it but your head is not in it yet ;). There is no substitute for a V8 JT. Anything else is different. I wheeled mine pretty hard in the woods of Maine and modestly in NH, MA for the past 3 years on stock axles and past 2 were with the HEMI. if you keep your gearing at 4.10s and uograde the shafts the axles hold up pretty well on 38s.
Sponsored