Sponsored

Cost to do a Hemi 5.7 or 6.4 swap in a Jeep Gladiator?

Juiced

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 TRX 21 Mojave
I am the only one here that I am aware of that did the 5.7 first and then upgraded to the Hellcat. Happy to answer any questions you might have.

Overall you aren't going to save yourself much money on fuel or suspension wear and tear by going with the 5.7.
If you could start over again, would you pick the Hellcat over the 392/426 options?

I almost pulled the trigger on a procharger kit/install back in January and backed off when I saw these swaps.

I had a TRX. Loved it. But its huge, 8mpg, easily stolen etc. I love the Gladiator but it needs at least 100 more hp.

To me the 392 option is "enough" for a combo hot rod Gladiator/off road truck. But part of me would love to have that SC whine back.
Sponsored

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2022 JLU 392
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
If you could start over again, would you pick the Hellcat over the 392/426 options?

I almost pulled the trigger on a procharger kit/install back in January and backed off when I saw these swaps.

I had a TRX. Loved it. But its huge, 8mpg, easily stolen etc. I love the Gladiator but it needs at least 100 more hp.

To me the 392 option is "enough" for a combo hot rod Gladiator/off road truck. But part of me would love to have that SC whine back.
Honestly if I did it again, which I might a little ways down the road - I will do a Helephant. I started out with a bolt on supercharger - they are trash and not great if its a long term vehicle for you.

That being said my situation might be different than others. My wife has a Tuscadero Pink 392, we have a Turbo 4 JLU and a Grand Cherokee 4xe. So we have more fuel-efficient vehicles we use for daily driving. I only put 2-3k miles on my Gladiator a year at this point.

The 392 is enough power, no doubt. BUT when you aren't paying much more for the Hellcat power and the fuel economy isn't much different.....then its kind of a toss up in my opinion. I averaged 11 when I did the 5.7. My wife sees 12-13 with hers. I average 9-10 with the Hellcat on 40s.

I have owned a ton of Rams too. I haven't pulled the trigger but I have been dancing around the idea of a TRX. I loved my last Rebel when I had it but I am a huge Jeep enthusiast too....

Juiced

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 TRX 21 Mojave
You arrived at my issue.
I almost pulled the trigger on a 392 Rubicon but it was so close in price to the TRX that I went the TRX route.

I think the TRX is perfect to a bit much on the street. Running mid 12s in a 6600lbs truck is wild.
The 392 Rubicon is low 13 to high 12 second SUV. But without the scream and maybe 1-2mpg better.

The 426 seems like a nice alternative, but its the only one that isn't a true crate engine and that worries me a little. And for 20 more hours of labor and 9500 more...... I mean, its already apart..why not???

What do they charge for a labor rate?

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
Just wait for the 3L inline 6 twin turbo at base 400HP. A Hurricane is on the way.

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
You arrived at my issue.
I almost pulled the trigger on a 392 Rubicon but it was so close in price to the TRX that I went the TRX route.

I think the TRX is perfect to a bit much on the street. Running mid 12s in a 6600lbs truck is wild.
The 392 Rubicon is low 13 to high 12 second SUV. But without the scream and maybe 1-2mpg better.

The 426 seems like a nice alternative, but its the only one that isn't a true crate engine and that worries me a little. And for 20 more hours of labor and 9500 more...... I mean, its already apart..why not???

What do they charge for a labor rate?
I didn't get a price for labor. The powertrain is kind of a package deal.

Sponsored

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Just wait for the 3L inline 6 twin turbo at base 400HP. A Hurricane is on the way.
Like all the people that have been waiting the last 3 years for Jeep to put the 392 in the Gladiator from the factory?

There are powertrain changes coming from the factory but no actual release date. I don't beleive anything anymore until it hits the assembly line.

Juiced

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 TRX 21 Mojave
So how is it to drive with the 8 lug axles?
Death wobble?
Anyone play in the sand dunes with the suspension kit/upgraded axles?

I want to daily the Jeep still so it is a concern about how high up the food chain I go.

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
So how is it to drive with the 8 lug axles?
Death wobble?
Anyone play in the sand dunes with the suspension kit/upgraded axles?

I want to daily the Jeep still so it is a concern about how high up the food chain I go.
Not much different than driving with 5 lug axles. You get a bit more width and feel a little more stable.

I could daily my Jeep cross country and there would be no issues.

BearDog

First Name
Johnnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport Max Tow. '20 H2SXSE+. RV-4 Airplane
Occupation
Machine Shop Manager
Exodus Jeeps in New Braunfels, TX. They use new crate motors.

5.7 is $33k installed
6.4 is $38k installed

Take off $3k if they are allowed to install a used transmission. They do the Hellcat engine as well.

They'll be getting mine in 2.5 years when the bank don't own it.

GtownTX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Power Wagon, Durango RT, Commander
Occupation
Tech
Exodus Jeeps in New Braunfels, TX. They use new crate motors.

5.7 is $33k installed
6.4 is $38k installed

Take off $3k if they are allowed to install a used transmission. They do the Hellcat engine as well.

They'll be getting mine in 2.5 years when the bank don't own it.
Huge fan of Exodus! Had a great experience there.
Sponsored