Sponsored

JScan app

db305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Max Tow
Jscan can't add that feature because the tazer and autostop eliminator are devices that must be LEFT PLUGGED IN because they are not and can not change the code in the system. What they are doing is telling it that the button has been pushed with every start.
Jscan can only change settings. That is not a setting, it's a non-latching switch that sends a signal saying I've been pushed. Tazer basically sits there and when you start the engine tells it that the button has been pushed. Note that the button is a momentary contact button........
Jscan is temporary software that manipulates settings, changes codes. I can't see it ever being able to do this. The system doesn't have an "enabled" or "not enabled" setting jscan can touch (or any other software)
So if you must have it disabled and don't want to push the button - hardware is your only option.
i think jscan users (at least for me) had their hopes up when the beta feature for ess was on the app and that a workaround was made. i didn't use it because i don't trust beta software on anything that i paid more than $100 for, but that's basically the reasoning. i'm happy with the eliminator regardless but would've been nice to be able to sell to someone.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
i think jscan users (at least for me) had their hopes up when the beta feature for ess was on the app and that a workaround was made. i didn't use it because i don't trust beta software on anything that i paid more than $100 for, but that's basically the reasoning. i'm happy with the eliminator regardless but would've been nice to be able to sell to someone.
Yeah, you could have recouped some of your money, someone else would have had a simple plug it in and forget it solution to their frustration with that system.

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Jeep Gladiator JScan app 101C99DF-59EE-464B-B0A5-9DFF6F7C3398

I thought I would share what those with the Overland trim are talking about. As you can see in the picture there is another module on top of the security gateway. It can’t be accessed by reaching up. You have to snake your arm in front of that cross support to unclip the connections.

bheath-atx

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electronic Manufacturing
Well I installed Jscan today. Very easy. But holy sh!t those plugs. Was able to reset my TPMS and foglights on with brights. I thought I disabled the ESS, but it didn't change anything...damn. Putting the plugs back in was a nightmare. I wanted to just leave them unplugged but then the infotainment screen wouldn't come on. Took an hour of trying. Cut up my fingers.
I can't remember who makes it, but I bought an extender cable for the SBW. It has both make and female connectors and brings it down where it is easy to reach. Then you plug two cables together. I think it was $30-40. Worth it for my knuckles after the first time.

bheath-atx

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electronic Manufacturing
Z Automotive (Tazer) now sells an extension cable to plug in to the security gateway. With it, you only need to stick your hand up there once. From then on, it's real easy to connect Jscan or a Tazer.
Yeah, that's the one. I bought it and love it.

Sponsored

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I used the JScan and viecar adapter to activate my proximity lock harness. It worked well, and the interface is nice, but I guessed on a few settings until I got it. It looks like I can set the window switch to up down on one press… but I couldn’t get it to work. Seemed like a setting in there.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I used the JScan and viecar adapter to activate my proximity lock harness. It worked well, and the interface is nice, but I guessed on a few settings until I got it. It looks like I can set the window switch to up down on one press… but I couldn’t get it to work. Seemed like a setting in there.
You can't set those switches - it takes some other hardware and wiring. There's a thread on that in here somewhere. I suspect it's likely because there's no safety in these (to prevent people from crushing parts (fools getting their fingers caught) or kids getting necks broken, etc.)
If it was a setting - it would have been done by now.

Last edited:

rballman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 White Rubi
Are ya'll still happy with the JScan? If so, which adapter did you go with? Too many to choose from! lol

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Are ya'll still happy with the JScan? If so, which adapter did you go with? Too many to choose from! lol
New jscan update pushed out.

Anyone have any success getting the ESS permanently shut off and still have remote start work using Jscan?

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
It depends on what you want it to do. It works, as advertised. You just have to determine if you want what it can do. I did JScan and, if I were doing it again, I'd likely have bought a Tazer and left it plugged in versus JScan.

However, with the OBDII adapter I have, I can use JScan on multiple vehicles and use ForScan for the Fiesta. It's slightly less feature rich but I can do more vehicles if needed.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the 25 dollar adapter first then found out it's not fast enough for some things, so bought the OBDLink MX+ adapter. It will allow apps to do more. It's faster and has more access.

I ended up buying AlfaOBD because some stuff JSCAN can't do that AlfaOBD can - plus I wanted to work with my wife's Jeep and didn't want to buy another license for JSCAN. I used AlfaOBD to log and gather information on my wife's Jeep misfire and presented a printed copy to the dealer shop.

JSCAN for making changes is PER VEHICLE LICENSE - you can't use it on just any vehicle to make changes no matter what adapter you have. It reads the VIN and says nope, we can't do that on this vehicle. It can READ things, but to tweak, you need the VIN number connected license. I can't make any changes to our Grand Cherokee with JSCAN because I didn't buy the license for that Jeep.

Anyway, I like jscan for what it does and can do because it's very simple and the search works well in it. AlfaOBD does so very much more but because of that, it's much more complex with a lot more screens and choices. I have both but have used AlfaOBD for my changes like auto dim headlights, passive entry, etc. - I used jscan to set the tire size when I bought new tires because it's so very easy.

I can't see any way that ANY software will ever shut off ESS because it's reset with each start. Software can't do that - it can't write that setting into the system. It can only say "switch is off" during that start and run period. When you shut the vehicle off and restart it, that is once again reset. Tazer and hardware is likely the ONLY way EVER to make that change - it's not even permanent with Tazer! Tazer simply tells the ECM that ESS is shut off each time you start it. It's not making a permanent change. It's telling the system to shut it off each time you start it.
Software can't do that.
Just push the damned button!

(or get used to it as it's coming - Car makers get CAFE CREDITS for adding that to vehicles, so even if they are a bit below the ruled average for that year - they get credits for adding ESS to vehicles. Other car makers are adding it to more and more of their vehicles as the years go on and watch the heck out for the next few years! CAFE goes through the roof)

Last edited:

Rubijeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT Rubicon
New jscan update pushed out.

Anyone have any success getting the ESS permanently shut off and still have remote start work using Jscan?
Just got mine today and didn’t see any update to shut off ESS without losing the remote start. Hope Jscan can make that happen soon.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Just got mine today and didn’t see any update to shut off ESS without losing the remote start. Hope Jscan can make that happen soon.
Jeep did it for you, they put a button to in to turn it off. It still gets me that we are so lazy that we can't just push a button to turn the thing off and I'm still trying to figure out why all the hate on it. Most of the people on this forum complaining about MPG's, don't use it and turn it off. It 100% makes a difference on your gas mileage.

Jeep Gladiator JScan app 16304898201216918445579704628570

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
JSCAN can't do that. It ain't likely to happen unless they find a flaw in the PCM code.
Jscan can ONLY check boxes or change what Jeep allows to be changed. It's a transient piece of software otherwise. You can check boxes, then you shut it down and disconnect.
Only something LIVE in the system while it's running and driving can do the ESS
And then - get this - even tazer is NOT disabling ESS! It's only telling the PCM on each start that you have pushed the button. So when you turn your truck off - the PCM resets to ESS on, then you start your truck and TAZER says to the PCM "driver has pushed button".
Jeep likely has to comply with that rule in order to get their CAFE credits for using ESS. If they allow you to shut it off and leave it off via a check box or simple setting, it won't count for them.

I guess the natural muscle memory humans developed with is waning and people no longer develop habits when getting in their truck. Push a button to start - but moving a hand over 4" to another button - too difficult? LOL
Sponsored