Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager
So many people think snorkels are for water crossing, but mostly they are for cleaner air in dusty environments.
Sponsored

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
Just came across this.

Great Video!

Last year I drove part of the MABDR https://ridebdr.com/mabdr/, from Harrisonburg, VA to Bald Eagle State Park, PA. I was ā€œpre runningā€ this for a planned trip with some friends who would be using adventure bikes. After doing miles and miles of mostly gravel sections in PA I realized that this is a perfect use case for a snorkel. The dust is indescribable. In fact I would never ever drive this route in a convoy of vehicles without a snorkel and pre filter. I was okay because I was the only vehicle but I left a mile long cloud of dust behind me. If we ever do this trip, the bikes will have to ride up front. And Iā€™ll just eat their dust (better my truck, than their lungs). The bed of my truck, sealed with a Diamondback was still full of fine silt-like dust.

Itā€™s a great drive and I highly recommend it, but a stock air filter without a snorkel and pre filter would not survive this trip if youā€™re behind anyone. This is a perfect example of why a snorkel is not just for The Gods Must Be Crazy schlepping across Africa or driving across the Outback. This a mild ā€œtrailā€ you could do in a Subaru, relatively close to major east coast metro areas with almost zero water crossings, and it will destroy your intake system under the right circumstances.

Z16DNA

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Rivian R1S, '22 JTRD, '04 Corv ZO6, '95 T/A
Occupation
Business Owner
Well a bit of bad news today on this AEV snorkel saga. Had dealer appointment today to have TSB updated within my 2022 Gladiator. TSB, I have a copy of it now, only applies to 2020 vehicles. There is no PCM update for this issue on 2021-2023 vehicles. In addition dealer, who called Stellantis Warranty Advisor, said it's not a covered warranty item. 1/2hr of shop time to install, approx $100.00?

Called AEV while I was at dealer. They were very nice on the phone, but said they didn't know TSB only applies to 2020 Gladiators? And that there would be a cost to the customer to have it installed?

Gotta say I'm very surprised at this whole situation from AEV; so was dealer. This has been going on since Dec when the snorkel was released to the public. By now shouldn't customers have had a resolution to this issue?

Hopefully soon.

AEV customer service said they were going to talk it over with the engineers, and get back to me.

yrwins

First Name
Yrwins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Occupation
IT
WOW Z16DNA. please keep informed of the situation

jc99

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Tell your dealer you have these issues as I just had my 2021 Gladiator diesel PCM updated to version 68353396AH from 68353396AG a month ago on warranty.

Complain about: Low battery voltage issues when putting the car in ACC mode (ie engine not running), as well as auto stop start working intermittently if at all.

My service order shows:
Cause: customer concern on battery low voltages found bulletin number: 18-002-22 Rev A related to a PCM software update for Battery improvements. Will need to update PCM to latest software.
18-19-04-TE

So far I am seeing less battery drain, very consistent voltage at 12.6ish where before it was constantly being dragged down in a couple of days, start stop is working consistently, I am pretty sure my mileage has improved (need to monitor this further). I am pretty sure my adaptive cruise control is not near as jerky (touchy) when it needs to slow down as it applies the brakes now.

BTW no idea if whatever the fix is for the snorkel is part of 68353396AH but reporting those issue might get your PCM updated to the latest version.

Can't find the full source I got this list from for 18-002-22 Rev A, but this is what I found a while back.

18-002-22 Rev A
Jeep Gladiator JT Diesel Snorkel 1677737991466

Partial result of the list above can be found online here:

Partial results for below on a cached google page
https://webcache.googleusercontent....m/Chrysler/18-002-22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

2023-03-01 22_13_51-18-002-22 Chrysler Technical Service Bulletin.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

Z16DNA

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Rivian R1S, '22 JTRD, '04 Corv ZO6, '95 T/A
Occupation
Business Owner
Great information, yes who knows if CCV sensitivity is part of that PCM update. I'll give AEV a chance to come up with the fix. But if takes too much longer I'll try your suggestion hopefully it works.

Of note, I just re-read the TSB 18-003-23 and on the last page it says "POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty" So should be a no cost to customer update. I'll have a little discussion with dealer about that.....

I would post the TSB, but document says it can't be reproduced without written permission from FCA US LLC?

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a miscommunication at some point along the line and I would have pretty high confidence they'll get it taken care of. It's impressive they managed to work with Stellantis/Jeep on a fix of that magnitude so quickly as it is, sounds like somebody inputting or filing the wrong year ranges is a pretty small setback, assuming that's all it is. I know I was one of the earlier folks to approach them with the issue and mine is a model year 22.

I'm not planning on ever running the scoop, but still, I'd like to get the update done as well. Thanks for the info

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
I pray you decide to not put a hole in your hood?

RubiNewbCB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD, 07 Mustang GT, 05 Hoe, 90 Fox body 393W
Occupation
USN Seabee (1994-2021Ret.) / Current status DoD Contractor
I want this MOD, but cutting my Rubi hood šŸ˜± me. Maybe get an aftermarket hood and the Snorkel and save the factory hood.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Everyone say a quick prayerā€¦.
Jeep Gladiator JT Diesel Snorkel 47BCD007-98FF-4E6D-A4D8-44755FAC322F
Go for it. I've cut many a hole in hoods. It's no big deal. Once you cut your first hole. There is no stress with cutting more.

Burghardphotography

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '65 MBZ 220s, '66 Riviera GS, '72 F-250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finding the will to live
Anyone have any issues with their cyclone pre-cleaner? Mine sounds like it is munching a bearing alive.

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Done. Sounds like Darth Vader breathing through a cardboard shipping tube, i.e., awesome! I immediately went to a brewery and drove conspicuously around the parking lot looking cool like a guy with a right hand drive overlander, then walked up to some girls and did my best fake Australian accent. This is definitely a good snorkel setup. They did call the police but I later realize I was covered with black RTV silicone sealant. Thatā€™s probably why.

Hereā€™s a couple of amateur tips, because pro tips cost money:
  • I used an air nibbler to make many of the cuts, mostly because I like the idea of using a tool called a ā€œnibbler.ā€ It makes nice clean straight cuts as a side bonus. Astro Pneumatic Tool 727 ONYX Heavy Duty Air Nibbler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JBO3G2O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_u3UE6GyzxMYVW
  • Use a spring punch and pre-drill any holes. The hole saw center bit will walk on aluminum.
  • Use a quality hole saw like a Bosch, not some rando Higggarrrr knockoff from Amazon
  • I covered the whole engine bay with a cheap $5 tarp from Ollieā€™s
  • I used a die grinder with 3ā€ disk for most of the rest of the cutting. IMO, a larger angle grinder is too much
  • You can smooth the metal down with a small sanding drum. These arenā€™t just for wood.
  • Toss your grinding points when done. Aluminum contamination can cause them to fail/explode later when grinding steel or tungsten.
  • I used a little deburring tool on my rivet holes. MAVAST Deburring Tool with 11... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087644YQH?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
  • Pre-fit and leave in all the rivets before securing the first one. I used this tool which is okay with some tcl, oil, etc. Astro Pneumatic Tool 1423 1/4" Heavy Duty 13" Hand Riveter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039697ME/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_9lCnSOWdmXeES
  • Donā€™t attempt this if you live in South East Virginia or make any plans at all really, because it WILL rain as soon as you do (if you can fit the Jeep in a garage, you donā€™t have enough cool stuff.)
clean
Jeep Gladiator JT Diesel Snorkel 1D974CEB-FD20-44A1-8D7B-1750862AE670

onyx tools
Jeep Gladiator JT Diesel Snorkel BC6BD982-2AF2-4424-A410-6650BC19096C

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Anyone have any issues with their cyclone pre-cleaner? Mine sounds like it is munching a bearing alive.
Just zip-tie a harmonica on it so that you can listen to something else.

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
The only problem I have so far is that I dropped mine and cracked it because I suck at life and was rushing to beat the rain before it poured down the open top of the snorkel. Gorilla glue and RTV and weā€™ll see how it holds. I do wonder about the bearing. I was intending to only use the pre-filter when off road but I havenā€™t gotten the TSB yet.
Sponsored