Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '65 MBZ 220s, '66 Riviera GS, '72 F-250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finding the will to live
Anyone have any issues with their cyclone pre-cleaner? Mine sounds like it is munching a bearing alive.
Update on this. Emailed AEV with a video of the sound from the pre filter, then sent me a new one right away. 10/10
Sponsored

gily

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Diesel
Same boat as you except I waited to install and I'm glad I did. The cutting into the hood and more importantly drilling into the a pillar made me hesitate. I guess now I'll just sell it.
Hi, Im interested in buying the diesel snorkel, let me know if you are interested in selling it. Thanks

yrwins

First Name
Yrwins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Occupation
IT
were can I buy one? It’s been in back order for the pass 3 mounts

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Just an update, I've been daily driving mine for 5 months now with the Sy-Klone filter and no PCM update and it's been flawless. No codes, no issues.

Last edited:

Burghardphotography

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finding the will to live
Just an update, I've been daily driving mine for 5 months now with the Sy-Clone filter and no PCM update and it's been flawless. No codes, no issues.
Same here no issues with the truck, no pcm updates.

Since last time I posted though, I did warrantee out a Sy-Clone filter due to a failing bearing in the fan. The warranty process was simple and I had a new filter in no time.

Sponsored

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Same here no issues with the truck, no pcm updates.

Since last time I posted though, I did warrantee out a Sy-Clone filter due to a failing bearing in the fan. The warranty process was simple and I had a new filter in no time.
I was wondering what the life was on those and if they were serviceable...?

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Just an update, I've been daily driving mine for 5 months now with the Sy-Clone filter and no PCM update and it's been flawless. No codes, no issues.
That’s because it’s creating a restriction in the intake so the CCV sees normal vaccum. Not a good thing and losing any benefits of having a cold air intake in these.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
That’s because it’s creating a restriction in the intake so the CCV sees normal vaccum. Not a good thing and losing any benefits of having a cold air intake in these.
It's still pulling cold air and ejecting dust/debris before the filter, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

No codes thrown for a dirty filter/excessive restriction, either.

Worth noting I'm also running an AFE intake tube and washable cone filter but I don't think @Burghardphotography is and his works too.

Same mpg as before.

Are you still just butthurt over people telling you oiled filters let through more debris?

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
If there was a significant restriction it would also throw a code. These trucks are extremely sensitive to airflow. My truck runs at least as well with the snorkel and cyclone. I’m stock under the hood. I have mixed feeling about the cyclone’s noise. Cruising up the Blue Ridge Parkway or up Warbler Road it’s a bit annoying because I can’t hear the birds. You have to be going fast enough to spool up the cyclone but slow enough that you’re not getting a lot of tire whine for it to be an issue. That’s a pretty narrow band and otherwise it doesn’t bother me. Around town it doesn’t matter; same on the interstate. With the widow rolled up I can’t really hear it. I’m not sure how long the bearings last but the whole thing is pretty simple. There’s no real restriction in the cyclone. It’s not another filter. It just has a narrow bar that creates a vortex and kicks the dirt to the outside out of a slit in the casing. I’m happy with mine.

homebrewer

Banned
Banned
First Name
Charles Whitmor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
Any tunes that fix this? I assume someone has made short work of eliminating this.

Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any tunes that fix this? I assume someone has made short work of eliminating this.
Yes theres a company with our engine's name of canada on FB that solves these issues.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's still pulling cold air and ejecting dust/debris before the filter, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Worth noting I'm also running an AFE intake tube and washable cone filter but I don't think @Burghardphotography is and his works too.

Same mpg as before.

Are you still just butthurt over people telling you oiled filters let through more debris?
The reason they throw a ccv/pcv code is less vaccum on the sensor with an aftermarket air intake. The prefilter/cyclone is causing a restriction which means more vaccum on your sensor. Atleast equivalent to factory. Its a snorkel so you get the high intake and water protection but your not going to see faster spool up, MPG, or improved anything else. Remember the pcv/ccv sensor measures "vaccum" looking for a leak or failure of its system. This is entirely emissions driven. More vaccum in your intake more suction on the pcv/ccv which can be good for ring seal and crankcase ventilation but that also means your turbo is not getting any additional air beyond factory.

I have an open KN intake and they solve the above by putting a tube that goes very close to the turbo inlet so that the sensor sees more vaccum.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
The reason they throw a ccv/pcv code is less vaccum on the sensor with an aftermarket air intake. The prefilter/cyclone is causing a restriction which means more vaccum on your sensor. Atleast equivalent to factory. Its a snorkel so you get the high intake and water protection but your not going to see faster spool up, MPG, or improved anything else. Remember the pcv/ccv sensor measures "vaccum" looking for a leak or failure of its system. This is entirely emissions driven. More vaccum in your intake more suction on the pcv/ccv which can be good for ring seal and crankcase ventilation but that also means your turbo is not getting any additional air beyond factory.

I have an open KN intake and they solve the above by putting a tube that goes very close to the turbo inlet so that the sensor sees more vaccum.
Myself and I think everybody else is aware of all of this, as it has been discussed at, I'd say, considerable length in this thread.

The AFE intake also comes with one of these PCV extension tubes. Also, as discussed earlier in this thread.

Burghardphotography

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finding the will to live

Same mpg as before.

Correct, mine is just hooked up to my stock air box. No codes, no issues, and I’d even hazard to say that it’s helped keep my oil temps down on long drives. Haven’t really changed anything else different since the snorkel, so don’t know what else to attribute it to.
Sponsored