Sponsored

JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available!

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I hope you'll consider a half-size version. About 2.5' from the cab to the middle of the bed. That'd be very useful for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ACE Engineering

ACE Engineering

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ACE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU, 2009 Jeep Wrangler JK-8
Yes,
I hope you'll consider a half-size version. About 2.5' from the cab to the middle of the bed. That'd be very useful for me.
Yes, that is something we're considering.

Thank you,

Cjsmith

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Honestly, if it doesn't sub as a tonneau cover, therefore waterproof, perpendicularly rails to mount anything and full use of the bed seem to be a better option for almost every need.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I've got a few thoughts..
  • DON'T call it the "Upper Decker" - https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=upperdecker
  • This needs to be a tonneau cover and weather tight. This would make it similar to the DiamondBack, which is what I'm considering for my future JT.
  • IMO, it needs to be supported a few inches above the bed if it's not a tonneau cover. If I were to buy this, I would be mounting a tent to the top of it.
  • If you covert this into a tonneau cover, make the struts strong enough to lift the cover AND 200lbs, which is the weight of most roof top tents.
  • As it sits right now, I wouldn't be interested. Make it into a cover and it's something I would think about.
EDIT: Got another thought...
Since this is strong enough to hold an ATV (you need to check the dynamic load limits), you need to consider ramps for driving an ATV up. IMO the bed is too small for driving an ATV across the side of the truck (Like Diamondback does on their HD model). You need that ATV to come up the back. You should consider removing the back railing to accommodate that. You also need to see how that affects the tailgate during loading/unloading operations.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Assuming this thing weighs 150 lbs (their estimate) and you want it to lift itself plus a 200 lbs. rooftop tent, that's obviously 350 lbs. which is a lot of weight. That would require massive gas struts. The problem with massive gas struts that size is that they'd be a pain (and dangerous) to replace, it would be hard to package them because they'd be large, and they'd cost a fortune.

I see where you guys are going with this, but I think there's a fine line between making this thing practical and making it work for every person.

Having said that, if they built this out of aluminum, they could use diamond tread plate for the "floor" of it which would keep it weather tight, and it would also shave off a lot of weight. It would also not rust and would look nicer.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
Having said that, if they built this out of aluminum, they could use diamond tread plate for the "floor" of it which would keep it weather tight, and it would also shave off a lot of weight. It would also not rust and would look nicer.
Yup, Diamondback is doing exactly that.

LivnLrg

First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jk Unlimited / 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Great job Ace Eng! Some people have no idea how hard or complicated it is to bring a new product to market. I work with Welders and PipeFitters all day long, and I love some of the comments of the Lego engineers out there. ...how about you add a USB port for my iPhone? Maybe add more holes to make it invisible? HA! Keep up the great work!

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
To make it better:
  • Get rid of the holes and have it waterproof the bed so you can put things you don’t want to get wet under/in, and things that can get wet put over/on.
To make it even better:
  • Give it legs so the rack is in line with the roofline. That way you can put bigger things in the bed, and lighter or longer things on rack up high.

MadManMoheenid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE & 1958 Chevy Apache
For me, I only plan to put dogs back there with some sort of top. I have been thinking that a softtopper or bestop cover would be fine, but I'm worried if that would still be too hot (those are under $1k, have removable sides and are pretty "Jeepy".) I keep watching for Gladiator friendly truck toppers that I could put a carpet or insulation in to keep it a bit cooler, but still don't know what I'll do.
I haven't researched it but dont a lot of toppers have windows that slide open, where you can slide open the back JT window and pump enough A/C into the back to make the pups happy?

Sponsored

2004blackwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 wrx, 2005 xterra, 2014 durango, formerly 1998 wrangler
Good Idea. I would like to see it in black or maybe options to match truck. The ability to shift it to higher positions to have access to bed for larger items sounds cool. Easy and quick removal would be good for when its not needed, Lastly weather proof or a weather proof option would be huge. I want to essentially be able to use bed as a large trunk.

boardthis74

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Occupation
IT Nerd
I'm with the folks who say make it a waterproof tonneau and I'll definitely buy one.

Jeepmk01

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
I like it do you have a estimated cost for it yet would like to get it

OP
OP
ACE Engineering

ACE Engineering

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ACE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU, 2009 Jeep Wrangler JK-8
Not yet, we haven't done a cost analysis on the materials and labor yet. Shouldn't be too long now though.

Thank you,
Sponsored